Drunk cat syndrome, aka vestibular disease.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Drunk cat syndrome, aka vestibular disease.

Post by titleiiredneck on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:34 pm

So my wife and I were comeing back from a hunting/xmas trip to Pa. After fighting snow plows on i-81 through Va. and Tn. we go to Fort Payne Al. When we woke up and headed home my dad called and said he came to check on our animals incase we were stuck a few more days with the snow. Well a long story short, my wifes cat was laying in the floor not able to get up and his head was flopping around like a bobble head doll you stick on your dashboard. Albiet this cat before was only able to make left turns "AKA Nascar kitty" and is about 14 or so yrs old. He comes in and out of the house as he pleases and keeps out 2 curr mix dogs in check "they are literally terrified of this cat"

So has anyone dealt with this? He is able to walk but basically acts like a drunk meth addict all the time with bursts of energy and alot of falling down, almost a passing out if he shifts his head or shakes it too fast.

Video of a cat with same disorder, although our cat is now walking around some.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZccUdSH91zc&feature=related

titleiiredneck
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

http://www.1050fps.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Drunk cat syndrome, aka vestibular disease.

Post by TankerHC on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:25 pm

My brother had the same problem with his cat last summer, but it got bit by a Water Moccasin. Spider bite maybe?

TankerHC
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g2072 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:31 am

I had a very special dog one time. She was a birhtday gift from my wife the first year I was married. After pepper got up in years she began having a few problems. I walked in one day and she was doing the same thing you described. I about had a heart atttack. I gathered her up and took her to my vet and he diagnosed her with vestibular disease. It was very scary to watch her but eventually she healed completely. She was 17 years old when she died. One of the worst days of my life.

g2072
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin346 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:46 am

So what causes it?

Kevin346
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by g2072 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:38 am

Canine vestibular disease occurs when the nerves connecting the inner ear with the brain become irritated and your dog loses his sense of balance. Canine vestibular disease can be dramatic, but most cases improve rapidly and resolve within a few weeks.

g2072
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top