House Bill 506

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

House Bill 506

Post by DCKilla on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Here's an interesting bill that passed the House. You'll have to read the bill to fully understand. The title is sort of misleading.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2011/PDF/history/HB/HB0506.xml

DCKilla
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: House Bill 506

Post by rcowanjr on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:36 pm

How did you take it? It says that a person that has a permit and takes an approved course can carry in the places listed in section 13 except for blah, blah, blah. But after the exceptions, it makes it sound like this person would be able to carry in public parks, schools, colleges and places of worship, to name a few. Did you take it this way? If so, I'm all for it. I took a course while I was waiting to receive my firearms permit, so I could immediately enjoy these benefits.

rcowanjr
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DCKilla on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:56 am

Police stations, court rooms during judicial proceedings, jails/detention facilities, and crack houses will be the only places off limits to permit holders with this endorsement. That's how I'm reading it. You do have to remember there are preemption exceptions in 45-9-53 which gives cities and counties authority to restrict carry in certain places.

DCKilla
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:39 am

DCKilla wrote:. You do have to remember there are preemption exceptions in 45-9-53 which gives cities and counties authority to restrict carry in certain places.

At this point if it's going through Jud B we should be happy for anything we can get. And yeah some people will make a big deal out of cities and counties having authority to restrict it in certain places, but they already have that authority for everything else, otherwise we wouldn't have BS like dry counties, or home and yard upkeep codes, so if all they're getting authority over is parks and the like then I say let em have it! I haven't been to a park in I don't know when! Or a court room/city hall/etc

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DCKilla on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:22 am

jakeg823 wrote:At this point if it's going through Jud B we should be happy for anything we can get.
It has passed the House already. As long as the Senate passes it unamended, it will head straight to the governor's desk.Smile

DCKilla
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:49 am

Haven't had a chance to read it, but y'all said it will require a class to be allowed to carry in normally prohibited places?(church, colleges, etc?)

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DCKilla on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:26 am

Yep, that's about it in a nutshell.

DCKilla
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Not a fan of requiring it but I think I could deal with that. Since it's a good thing to do anyway

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbat on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see any mention of permit holders being included in the "certain persons who have firearms training" I think ya'll are getting excited over nothing.

The "certain persons" will only include prosecutors,public defenders,coroners, etc to carry concealed everywhere. Since it doesn't list who the "certain persons" are, I don't have high hopes the MHP is going to include permit holders in that. IMO

bubbat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DCKilla on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:33 pm

I should put the whole thing in bold print, but didn't. So, I put in bold what might reduse the confusion. This training is not required for the permit, just the endorsement. I didn't highlight the exceptions. They have already discussed.

This Section will be add to 97-37-7 with this bill.

A person licensed under Section 45-9-101 to carry a concealed pistol, who has voluntarily completed an instructional course in the safe handling and use of firearms offered by an instructor certified by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training, or by any other organization approved by the Department of Public Safety, shall also be authorized to carry weapons in courthouses except in courtrooms during a judicial proceeding, and any location listed in subsection (13) of Section 45-9-101, except any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, any police, sheriff or highway patrol station or any detention facility, prison or jail. The department shall promulgate rules and regulations allowing concealed pistol permit holders to obtain an endorsement on their permit indicating that they have completed the aforementioned course and have the authority to carry in these locations.

DCKilla
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbat on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Ah I was missing something. lol

bubbat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DCKilla on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:00 pm

It's interesting that this added portion contains the word "weapons" and lacks the word "revolver." Maybe, I'm just being picky. IDK

DCKilla
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:00 pm

I really need to do a course anyway. I've always known the basic rules and such, but it would be good to go find out what exactly I am doing wrong. Probably gonna look into one pretty soon since this semester I'm not loaded down with school everyday

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dnr1128 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:22 pm

So...would the course that our own Cliff Cargill offers qualify for this, should the bill pass?

dnr1128
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:50 pm

It made it through committee B first? Impressive!

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DCKilla on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:18 pm

dnr1128 wrote:So...would the course that our own Cliff Cargill offers qualify for this, should the bill pass?
I'm sure it will depend on the "rules and regulations" put in place by the department of public safety.

DCKilla
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dnr1128 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:29 pm

DCKilla wrote:
dnr1128 wrote:So...would the course that our own Cliff Cargill offers qualify for this, should the bill pass?
I'm sure it will depend on the "rules and regulations" put in place by the department of public safety.

According to the text "...who has voluntarily completed an instructional course in the safe handling and use of firearms offered by an instructor certified by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training..." It sounds to me like any course by an NRA certified instructor would qualify. But like you say, the DPS will have the final say.

Everybody should take some kind of training.

dnr1128
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cliff Cargill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Hmm...looks like it would. We'll see.

Cliff Cargill
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

http://www.magnoliashooters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kowen1971 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Cliff, I hope you'll offer a weekend course for those of us that will be having to drive down from the north of the state... thumbs up

kowen1971
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cliff Cargill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Yes!!! No problem.

Cliff Cargill
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Cliff Cargill wrote:Yes!!! No problem.

when and where do you do these courses? pm me if necessary. I really should take one whether this thing passes or not, as I'm sure we all should

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin346 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:27 pm

LOL well Cliff it looks like you about to get a lot of business.

Kevin346
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RON55 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:53 am

Need course, too !!
When, Where and How much?

RON55
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertyrules on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Anybody here have an out-of-state ccw? Mine is from Colorado. We had to take a two-day class course plus half a day on the range. Guy was a NRA-certified instructor & he was very thorough, I thought.

Libertyrules
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

http://americaholds.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cliff Cargill on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:20 am

Contact me at cliff@cliffcargill.com

Cliff Cargill
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dnr1128 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:25 pm

RON55 wrote:Need course, too !!
When, Where and How much?

It is well worth the money.

dnr1128
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mjfox6 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:26 pm

HB 506 is out of committee and on to the senate floor for a vote. I don't see any hurdles for this one passing.

Personally, I'm not happy about the training requirement, because this will just add more confusion and the absence of training has never been a problem. I hope they adopt a broad spectrum of acceptable training, like Florida has.

I wonder if this will get us reciprocity with any more states? I doubt it, they will probably go by our "no training" permit.

It will be nice to be able to carry in places I won't mention here for fear of jinxing it!

mjfox6
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbat on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Sign that says "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited" still trumps Bill 506.

bubbat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertyrules on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:28 pm

Adding the training course clause could be a condition for support for HB506. Any step forward in carry, open or concealed is a good thing. The next step is a bill adding the training course mandatory for ccw, since the situation now, with the passage of this bill only muddles things. It's not ideal, but since you can't go backward to no rules about carrying, best settle for what we can get now.

In some states, the state is silent on open carrying. Colorado is one such state. That's much better, because you can open carry anywhere in the state, except Denver or Boulder, & a couple of satellite towns, where they have gotten special rules passed by state legislature. A training course is mandatory for ccw, making reciprocity easier in other states, plus you do learn things you might not have thought about. State law lists a few rules about where you may NOT carry, but otherwise it's ok. Even if local municipalities try to restrict gun carry, they can't get away with it, because local ordinances do not trump state law.

In Mississippi we have a convoluted law on carry, ie any part of gun concealed is considered concealed carry. Useful work would be to unravel that part of the statute, by defining in clear term what is open carry vs concealed carry

I will say that I have open carried here in Greenville, usually in the summer, with no problems.from LE. I'm talking Kroger, Walmart, Loews, etc. I stopped once in Yazoo City (Kroger) to gas up, & noticed right behind me a LEO was gassing up too. He looked at the 1911, but made no comment.

I guess what I'm saying is with open carry the gun-grabbers have to back off. I'm not suggesting anyone carry open or concealed, that's an individual choice. Let's go with what we've got & work on state legislature to further loosen restrictions.

I have the time and the will to work on this. I don't know anyone in state legislature, but will work with like-minded individuals.

Libertyrules
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

http://americaholds.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DCKilla on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:16 pm

bubbat wrote:Sign that says "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited" still trumps Bill 506.
How could that be? A location with a sign is still a location.

Looks like it's on the calendar for tomorrow. Does it mean that they might vote on it tomorrow?
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2011/PDF/misc/s_cal.htm

DCKilla
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbat on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:39 pm

Because 45-9-101 has the provision "In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited."

Meaning whoever is in control of the physical location of a courthouse,school, park can post it and you can't carry there, just like malls and other places do. That's how if read it anyway.

bubbat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 pm

bubbat wrote:
Meaning whoever is in control of the physical location of a courthouse,school, park can post it and you can't carry there, just like malls and other places do. That's how if read it anyway.

pretty sure you're right. This bill isn't going to affect me quite as much as originally thought, because it takes effect on July 1st if passed(as would SB2469), and I finish with classes on June 28th! But! guess who will be packin at graduation in effing December!!!! thumbs up

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DCKilla on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:53 am

Foretunately, I have never seen any sign stating "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited." If you're right, my life would not change much.

DCKilla
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kcin on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:42 am

I think Gun-Ho offers a NRA certified CC course every so often for about $95. I read a flyer they had posted a couple weeks back. I guess if you give them a call they could tell you more about it.

Nick

kcin
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 am

DCKilla wrote:Foretunately, I have never seen any sign stating "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited." If you're right, my life would not change much.

I have seen a total of one. It was at Kay Jewelers on Lakeland I believe. I've seen quite a few no firearms or the pistol with the line through it. I do my best to abide by the law 100% of the time...but I've yet to make it a habit to check the doors...just depends where I'm at I suppose if I'll remember or not. But if I happen to miss it I'm of the opinion that concealed means concealed, so there shouldn't be any problems unless I get into something I shouldn't, or someone else is doing something way more illegal than carrying a pistol in a business I'm not supposed to have it in.

I know the theater on Lakeland had a sign, but I don't think it was correct and it was only on one door, and was only legible from about 2 feet away...

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kcin on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:23 am

jakeg823 wrote:
DCKilla wrote:Foretunately, I have never seen any sign stating "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited." If you're right, my life would not change much.

I have seen a total of one. It was at Kay Jewelers on Lakeland I believe. I've seen quite a few no firearms or the pistol with the line through it. I do my best to abide by the law 100% of the time...but I've yet to make it a habit to check the doors...just depends where I'm at I suppose if I'll remember or not. But if I happen to miss it I'm of the opinion that concealed means concealed, so there shouldn't be any problems unless I get into something I shouldn't, or someone else is doing something way more illegal than carrying a pistol in a business I'm not supposed to have it in.

I know the theater on Lakeland had a sign, but I don't think it was correct and it was only on one door, and was only legible from about 2 feet away...

I Agree with you on that.

kcin
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbat on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:35 am

We have a running list of places that have signs http://www.msgunowners.com/t3109-hall-of-shame-places-of-business-in-ms-that-have-a-no-firearm-sign-posted

bubbat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:16 am

Any word yet? The sites haven't been updated since about 3pm today. I'm guessing they didnt get to it since it was nearly the last thing on their to-do lists...they had to figure out who's butt to kiss during the first 7.5 hours of the work day

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:00 pm

Comm. A met at 8:30 this morning....so if we havent heard anything yet I dunno since today is apparently the last day?

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mjfox6 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:10 pm

Today is the last day to get bills out of committee that originated in the other house. This bill is already out of committee and just waiting to be voted on by the entire Senate. I believe March 9 is the deadline for them to vote on it.

mjfox6
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 pm

ah thanks for the clarification, dont think that was mentioned in the other thread about the deadline

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 94LEVERFAN on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:19 pm

should come out of committee

94LEVERFAN
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mjfox6 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:11 am

It's not in committee, it is on the Senate floor for a vote. The Senate has only been in session for about 15-30 minutes every day for the past 3 days, so they haven't covered very many bills lately. If it passes, and it should, it will go to the governor to be signed into law.

mjfox6
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mjfox6 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:08 pm

They just skipped it on today's calendar. Maybe tomorrow.

mjfox6
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mjfox6 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Just passed the Senate! On to the Governor...

mjfox6
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DCKilla on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:38 pm

mjfox6 wrote:Just passed the Senate! On to the Governor...
Link please

DCKilla
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mjfox6 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:02 pm

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2011/pdf/history/HB/HB0506.xml

Not updated yet, but I'm sure it will be later today. I watched it live over the internet, just thought some might be interested in knowing.

mjfox6
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:08 pm

Where is it updated? The link hasn't updated since the 24th.

Great news though!

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kowen1971 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:38 pm

Guess its time to call Cliff....

kowen1971
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Bowser on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:41 pm

According to reports I have received, the bill has passed the House and Senate and is going to the Governor's desk.

Doug

Doug Bowser
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum