High Quality AK47?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

High Quality AK47?

Post by Geaux68 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:18 am

After considering an inexpensive Romanian AK, I'm now thinking about spending more if it get's me more. What would you recommend for under $1K? What makes one AK better than another (i.e., chrome lined barrel, etc.)? Is the Russian Red AK a good choice? Thanks!

Geaux68
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: High Quality AK47?

Post by Beladran on Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:27 am

Member on here has one of the finest Rommie G kit out there for a super fair price. Buy it and send it to Red Jacket and have them do the build you will come out way less than 1 grand

Beladran

http://Junikerjewelry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by §ºµ†hè®ñ_ߺý on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:43 am

I think all of the Yugo Model AKs are way better than the Romanian ones. They have a thicker, stamped, receiver. Century Arms also has the new C39, AK. It's on a milled receiver and 100% U.S. made.

Beladran, on Red Jacket, I recently asked them about doing some work for me and never heard back from them. I'm guessing after the TV show hit, they're swamped.

§ºµ†hè®ñ_ߺý
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scharfschütze on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:11 am

The Yugo AKs are on sale at AIM now for less than $500, with plastic furniture & underfolding stock.

Scharfschütze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Location: In the SW part of the "Land Mass" between Louisiana and Alabama

Back to top Go down

Post by dbarnes357 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:43 am

Take a look at the Saiga's, they are truly Russian made, at the same factory where Russia makes their military guns, made with many of the same parts and with the same quality of the military guns. They've got a chrome lined barrel also. You can buy one unconverted(standard sporting rifle configuration) for pretty cheap, probably around 400 or 450. You can then keep them that way or convert it to full "assault" configuration yourself, or pay someone else to. Or you can just buy one pre-converted. Arsenal is a company that sells pre-converted Saigas, but they are a little pricey, some can be had for well under a grand though.

Here's mine, I paid 500 two years ago, it was already converted, but then I replaced everything on it.

dbarnes357
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 1985 4runner on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:03 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Norinco Chinese AKs. Heavier, chrome lined barrels, very nice fit & finish, and can be had for around $500.

I have just over $800 in this build:

1985 4runner
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonewall on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:14 pm

If it is put together and works right, the cheapo Romy is as good as anything built by Arsenal, Krebs, Red Jacket, etc.

What makes an AK worth $1,000? The willingness of a person to pay that much, I guess.

75-80% of the WASRs out there are as good as any $1,000 AK on the market.

MHO

Stonewall
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Arsenal and Krebs are suppose to be the best AKs. But like Stonewall said, the extra $$$$ problably doesn't buy anything but a name.

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonewall on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Scharfschuetze wrote:The Yugo AKs are on sale at AIM now for less than $500, with plastic furniture & underfolding stock.

Those seem a little weird. They are advertised as being built from "refinished" parts and having a "new Century Arms 1 mm receiver." Is CAI on another cost cutting spree or what?

Stonewall
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scharfschütze on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:09 pm

Since the ban of importation of REAL Yugos, anything mfg. after that is from parts with a US-compliant receiver. Gotta ask yourself why the Slavs, Bulgarians, Russians, Romanians, etc. got rid of those parts if they were actually up to spec. or not worn out. . .Several companies advertise that they only use NEW surplus or self-mfg. parts with the new US-complaint receivers (Arsenal comes to mind); those Romanian WASRs were imported by Century with mag wells capable of only 10-rd single stack mags, then modified after the ban expired. I bought a new one, cheap in 2005. At 100 yds the best groups I could get were around 20", even prone. I don't consider shooting from the bench a useful indicator of accuracy, only use that for sighting in someone's scope; I don't shoot from a bench in competition, hunting, and don't think I will do so in a defensive situation either, so only use that to get on paper. I sold that Romanian AK FAST, and haven't seen any of the other Romanian AKs in use at the club that can shoot better than 10" or so at 100.
In contrast I have fired in the mid-90% at 100 yds with my Arsenal AK-74 and Wolf HP ammunition. The old saying is sometimes true, you get what you pay for. My 2cents-

Scharfschütze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Geaux68 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:00 pm

I appreciate all the good information. I believe I'm leaning towards buying a Saiga and replacing the stock to give it a more traditional AK look. Thanks!

Geaux68
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Beevo on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:46 am

There's a Yugo underfold on the classifieds here for around $500ish. I've shot the Yugos and they are nice for what's on the market today.
Like '85 4 Runner, I'm partial to the ChiCom, having owned several early Norinco MAK 90s, NHM 91s, and preban 56s. They are well fitted and smooth.
If you want a project, the Saiga has potential. I have a S12 and am currently in the process of deciding what options to take for my conversion.
However, I would do some research on the conversions for the Saiga...it is more than just a "stock change". Personally, if there was a non-hunting AK 12 guage out there, I wouldn't be converting one. You may get into more expense and trouble than you want.
I also want to check out that Century Centurion 39 with US milled receiver. I think it would be a quality piece!
Just my $0.02

Beevo
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scharfschütze on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:00 am

You may also want to get a copy of the latest Guns&Ammo "specialty" magazine: "Complete book of the AK47". It is on the magazine shelf at WMart now. If you want to get more in-depth on the AK series of rifles, get the huge book AK-47: The Grim Reaper by Frank Iannamico. It is the most extensive reference work on the AK series I have in my library of gun resource / research works. Finally, check out www.k-var.com , these guys are the importers for Arsenal and their parts. I have an Arsenal AK 74 in 5.45x39.5 and it shoots almost as well as a standard AR-type carbine.

Scharfschütze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by griplock on Tue May 03, 2011 10:42 pm

Where are the classifieds? Im in the market for an Ak right now and im really wanting to look at the Yugo.

griplock

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Tue May 03, 2011 11:05 pm

griplock wrote:Where are the classifieds? Im in the market for an Ak right now and im really wanting to look at the Yugo.

they were taken down and cleared late last month for an overhaul on the rules, and were put back up this past sunday i believe

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jbwonfire on Wed May 04, 2011 7:44 pm

I purchased an Arsenal SGL21-61 in January 2011. I am so very proud of that decision because of the fit and finish, durability, quality and reputation. Its worth it! I paid $720 plus tax. If you can swing that you will be able to tell the difference in that and other AKs.

jbwonfire
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonewall on Wed May 04, 2011 9:31 pm

jbwonfire wrote:I purchased an Arsenal SGL21-61 in January 2011. I am so very proud of that decision because of the fit and finish, durability, quality and reputation. Its worth it! I paid $720 plus tax. If you can swing that you will be able to tell the difference in that and other AKs.

Yep, those are nice rifles. Quality almost up there with a good ol' MAK90 and only $300 or so more!

thumbs up

Stonewall
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Glock4Life on Sat May 07, 2011 8:15 am

Great priced AK's at ImpactGuns.com

Glock4Life
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lmb7784 on Sun May 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Check out Rifle Dynamics as well as the firing line of oklahoma. Just buy a decent rifle, and send it to them. You should still be well under a grand.

lmb7784

Back to top Go down

It'll be a bit more expensive...

Post by GI_Loveguns on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:45 pm

But, the Krebbs is the finest AK I have ever held. My brother got one a couple of months ago & it is superfine, if you can say that about an AK. Everything about it is waaaay refined compared to any other Kalashnikov I have ever seen, including Galils! Even if you don't get one, check one out at a gun show or shop or something. You WILL be impressed.

Chris

"Incoming fire has the right-of-way!" -- Murphy's laws of combat

GI_Loveguns

http://www.customconcealmentsystems.com

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top