M&P 9 vs SD9

View previous topic View next topic Go down

M&P 9 vs SD9

Post by Matt K on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:41 am

What is the difference in the S&W M&P line vs the SD line. I know the trigger mechanisms are different, but how? The SD comes with a front night sight and MSRP is about $100 less than the M&P. At a glance, it seems like the SD line of pistols is a good value.

Matt K
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: M&P 9 vs SD9

Post by Beladran on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:07 am

M&P gets my vote

Beladran

http://Junikerjewelry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:35 am

While i havent had a sd apart, i can tell you there isnt a whole lot of difference between a sigma and a m&p... its mostly in the trigger. From what little ive read on the sd its a basically a sigma with a redesigned/modified trigger. Personally, i would just buy a sigma and do a little polishing and remove one or both of the extra springs. Ive done that to my sigma .40 and the trigger is almost identical to the m&p compact 40 i had. Sigmas can be had for as little as $250 new if you do some searching, academy regularly has them for $299.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gunaddict on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:30 am

Get the M&P. Trust me you will be way happier. BTW the trigger in the M&P just got revamped at the factory as of April 1st. Got to shoot a T&E gun and it was a lot better. It is a great gun and we abused it trying to get a malfunction. You are about to see some pd's in the area swap to them. I will meet you if you want to shoot the m&p if your local.

gunaddict
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Spend a little more, Get the M&P

Anything resembling a sigma suxs major wind

Why everyone wants to fall in love with el cheapo (sub $300) pistols is a mystery to me...

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Have and do own both!! My carry is the M&P -- love it!!

"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

"Then, Sir, we shall give them the bayonet" Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:18 pm

msredneck wrote:Spend a little more, Get the M&P

Anything resembling a sigma suxs major wind

Why everyone wants to fall in love with el cheapo (sub $300) pistols is a mystery to me...

After maybe 20 minutes work, i couldnt tell the difference between my sigma and m&p triggers. Ive said it before and ill say it again, there is not much difference at all between the m&p and sigmas internally. Ive owned both and had both apart in front of me. I sold the m&p and kept the sigma. A $300ish pistol that needs very minor tuning is a much better bargain to me than a $500 or more one. Some of you must have money to burn or something.. i dont.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:49 pm

Let me know how the sigma holds together after about 5K rounds

Glad U like it

I've owned a lot of handguns..and I've had nothing but trouble out of cheap semi's...beyond the crappie trigger...(which in Rw's case he tweaked)...They don't hold up to heavy shooting...I've seen several M&P's used in local USPSA competition...Have never seen a Sigma

It all depends of what your definition of "value" is...

Based on the reputation of the M&P thus far...Of the two, it would be my choice...The SD is a newer model and in my eyes...still unproven

Not dogging anyone's gun...just stating that I've had trouble with semi's in that price range....

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by here2party on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:04 pm

I also have both, full size m&p and sigma. If u take the slide off both of them side by side and work the triggers, most everything in there in the sigma moves, the m&p is much tighter, as in only the parts that are supposed to are the ones moving. Sorry I don't know the names of any of the parts, but that's what I've noticed. And the 50 lb trigger on the sigma. Both are .40s. Sigma was bought in 03, m&p in 08

here2party
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrdnox on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:28 pm

I've owned a Sigma and liked it for a while. Probably would still own it, if it hadn't been for all the negative comments from the high asses. I own an M&P now and I like it, too. Is it better? Probably, but it should be for nearly twice the price. For the record, I shot around 1200 rounds through my Sigma without the first glitch and the one thing I never saw was any wear at all. Of course, it was all stainless, so wear was a little harder to detect. Don't know how many rounds have been through my M&P, but all the parts are black and I see a lot of wear. Not because it's excessive, but because it's slightly losing it's black, however it's losing it in a lot of places, because there are a lot of wear points in it. Still a great gun and S&W will stand behind anything that might go wrong, so I'm not worried at all. However, they will do the same thing for the Sigma, so I didn't really worry about it, either.

I haven't held an SD9 yet, so I can't speak with any knowledge, other than what I've read. That said, what I've read so far has been extremely favorable. I'd like to have one. Heck, I'd like to have my Sigma back. I had worked a nice trigger into it that I couldn't tell from my Glocks, but the fanboys had me convinced it was a pure POS that never would be reliable. Wish I had ignored their dribble, however I was new to guns then and hung on their every word. I've since learned just how FOS most of them are and pass off most of what they say now as the BS it really is, kinda like some of what you've read here. Names omitted to protect the innocent

If I had to do it all over again, I can honestly say it would depend entirely upon my budget. If price was an object, I know with certainty that a Sigma would do fine job of protecting me for a small amount of money. If it wasn't, I'd probably go for the M&P, however if I was looking for a decent bargain that might actually possess the best of both worlds, I'd jump on an SD9 in a heartbeat. Everything I read says they're great guns for the money.

Hrdnox
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jdphotoguy on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:57 pm

I can't speak to the Sigma or SD, but I recently purchased a M&P 9L to replace my Springfield XD9 Service for USPSA Production.

Shot about 60 rounds thru the M&P to check the gun out before shooting a USPSA match with it. There was a noticeable improvement in my time and accuracy during the match and even others commented on my marked improvement. Before the second match I installed the APEX Comp AEK, which greatly improves the trigger. At each subsequent match I have noticed improvement and so have my fellow competitors.

For me the M&P 9L is a winner and I hope to add another 9L and compact 9 to my collection very soon.

jdphotoguy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum