Sig Mosquito vs Walther p22 (.22lr)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sig Mosquito vs Walther p22 (.22lr)

Post by Tennjed on Mon 11 Apr 2011 - 23:02

What are your opinions on these .22lr pistols. good, bad, differences? Others to look at the look like a full sized auto?

Thanks

Tennjed
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Sig Mosquito vs Walther p22 (.22lr)

Post by dbarnes357 on Mon 11 Apr 2011 - 23:06

All I know is I hate the safety on the P22. It is positioned too highly for me to manipulate, and the safety on the one I handled was way too stiff to manipulate even if it was in a more optimal location.

dbarnes357
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbat on Mon 11 Apr 2011 - 23:24

I have a Mosquito. I have had it a couple of years now, never had a problem out of it. It needs and states in it's instruction manual to use CCI Mini Mags for the first couple hundred rounds to break it in. Some can be real picky about ammo even after that. Some will shoot anything once they are broken in, I have never used anything but Mini mags in mine so I really don't know if it is ammo picky or not. Double action trigger is stiff, but not to bad. It's a 3/4 copy of my P225.
Overall I would say it's a good little gun, but if I was in going to buy a new .22 auto, I would pass on the Sig and get a Ruger 22/45, it's a better gun in my opinion.

I don't know anything about the Walther P22, never shot or even held one.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  Mark Twain

bubbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 12 Apr 2011 - 5:14

I own both and each has it's purpose and limitations. TheWaltherwas bought when my daughter was younger because it fit her hands, was easier to rack back and relatively inexpensive. She outgrew it and commandeereda Ruger Mk II. Her reasoning was "If I want to hit that bottle cap at the fiftenn yard line I wan to do it every time. So I want the Ruger." After a finichy break-in the Walther ran well and still does today.

The Sig is mine because I like Sigs and that is what they offered in a rimfire. After a brick of Velocitors it now shoots just about anything. It is a good training gun for friends with DA/SA semi autos. I bought some extra mags and play at shooting steel with it. It is fast and accurate enough for that. It is a good cheap confidence builder...but it don't shoot bottle caps either.

If you want a tactical type gofor the Sig Classic. It is better than either of the other two. If you want accuracy at a reasonable price go for a Ruger.

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Tue 12 Apr 2011 - 7:39

I've got a Sig Mosquito that I picked up used off from the classifieds here. I like it because the controls are identical to my other Sigs. It was picky about ammo at first, but after some polishing and tweaking, it eats about anything. It will still hiccup on lead nose rounds after I run a couple mags of them thru. If I only run plated, it is happier. I think theres a little leading going on and the plated clears that out.

My friend has a Walther and he likes it. He did mention that the safety gave him some trouble early on, but its fine now.

All that being said, you can't beat those Ruger's.

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by here2party on Tue 12 Apr 2011 - 11:39

I got a walther new and break-in in has been tough, lot of jams shooting the wal mart winchester pack of 333, but yesterday I shot 30 rounds and she never missed a beat. And u won't find extra mags for it under $30 hardly.

here2party
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nonnieselman on Tue 12 Apr 2011 - 11:58

I have a P22 and have had to send it back for a broken slide. I dont like the pot metal its made of. It wasnt accurate at all either.
I find the Ruger 22/45 to be a world better in accuracy and the metal its made of.
Shot a Mosquito and it was ok but the trigger wasnt exciting.

If i had to pick again, id skip the P22 and go straight to the 22/45.. it has the grip angle of the 1911 that i like so much..

nonnieselman
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Tue 12 Apr 2011 - 12:15

Ive owned quite a bit of guns, the walther p22 i had was the biggest piece of crap ive ever handled. If your considering one, do yourself a favor and buy a ruger instead. There is no comparison at all. Would you trust a real gun made by a airsoft manufacturer?, (thats what umarex who actually makes that gun is known for.)The potmetal a p22 is made out of is not a structural material, its a well known sign of a cheaply made item. It has no place in a firearm.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nonnieselman on Tue 12 Apr 2011 - 13:00

I agree with RW, pot metal doesnt belong in a gun. It doesnt take much at all to break.

nonnieselman
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitwise on Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 13:23

I've owned both the Mosquito and the P22. I prefer the Mosquito because it fits my hand better and is a bit larger. I normally run mine suppressed and have found it's much more reliable with a can on - maybe because of increased blowback. Mine runs all wal-mart bulk ammo well except for Remington golden bullets.

I echo what everyone else is saying about the Rugers. My next 22 pistol be a MK III - maybe a 22/45. I owned a MK II that I loved.

Bitwise
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by CK on Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 20:29

I HAD a P22, besides the hangups, the inaccuracy, it was junk. Never shot the SIG. Get the Ruger. I prefer the Browning Buckmark myself. Very accuarate and dependable. My favorite is the S&W model 41 but it is big bucks.

CK
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nonnieselman on Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 22:36

I forget about the buckmark...
Those are very accurate. Only shot one so i dont know much bout them.

nonnieselman
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Xd357 on Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 23:00

Go buy you a ruger mkll if you can find one. If not than buy a mklll. You'll be glad you did.

Xd357

Back to top Go down

Post by nonnieselman on Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 23:15

And if you get the mark3, lemme know and i have some spacers that will replace a part. Then your mags will shoot out instead of having to rip them out. :-)

nonnieselman
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NotUndeadYet on Mon 18 Apr 2011 - 13:20

I got a P22 new back in October, and the only problem I've had after roughly 1500 rounds was from some ammo that had too much wax left over from manufacturing.

The first 500 rounds (well, 460 since the last 40 in one box were too waxy) were CCI mini-mags, and after that Remington Thunderbolts.

One thing I learned researching the P22 before I purchased one was that the earlier models were notorious for breaking slides, but the newer ones have a harder metal pin installed that minimizes the wear on the slide. One of those "I can show ya but not describe well" things.

It's a great little paperpunch, but as stated not terribly accurate past short distances. The deciding factor between the P22 and the Mosquito for me was weight and hand fit, the P22 just fit my fiance's hand better. She has no trouble with the safety, mag release, or slide lock; maybe I just got one of the good ones.

NotUndeadYet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by flagaman on Tue 19 Apr 2011 - 11:50

I have a P22. Picked it up to let the grandkids get used to handling a handgun. Pretty picky about ammo. Extra mags not cheap. Not very accurate. But I would buy one again. The weight is such that even the smaller kiddos can handle it. Recoils enough so that they know what that is like. And I get to show them about clearing a malfunction and the necessity of proper break-in before you depend on a firearm. I do wish it was a bit more accurate though.
Regards,
Flagaman

flagaman
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Southbreeze on Sat 21 May 2011 - 21:14

I know this is late, but I've had my P22 for 4 1/2 years now and it's my farm carry gun with an Outback suppressor fitted. Great for snakes, rats, cats, foxes and crackheads. I fitted one of the little laserlyte lasers underneath and I only run CCI or Rem Subsonic ammo through it.

I killed a copper head with it from my tractor at 20' foot and he was scootin the opposite direction. It stays covered in sand, grit, s**t and sweat and never fails to fire when I need it. It ain't the best at anything, but overall pricewise, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

It depends on what you want it to do???

1st got the spine and the second got his head/neck joint.

cheers,
Breeze

Southbreeze
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by §ºµ†hè®ñ_ߺý on Mon 23 May 2011 - 9:03

I brought a friend out to the range, he had a Sig Mosquito. It was jammin'. We tried several different brands of .22 ammo and it just didn't like any of them. Another friend of mine has a Walther p22 with a can, he loves it. I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but I wasn't impressed with the Sig Mosquito. That said! We all know .22s are picky and this was a brand new gun. It was cleaned and lubed before the trip and broke down at the range and looked at a couple of times by a couple of different people. They were having the same issues we had. I told him he should call Sig or take up Dad's Super Pawn on their warranty.

§ºµ†hè®ñ_ߺý
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NotUndeadYet on Mon 23 May 2011 - 13:11

I was able to shoot a Mosquito the other day, and I'm still happy with the P22. The girl who owns the Sig likes it because "it feels like a real gun" which I suppose is a plus. I know there are a couple of schools of thought on this, but if I'd wanted a heavy .22, I would have just gotten a buckmark or a ruger.

Other than the weight and size, I had no issues with the Mosquito. Then again, the weight and size are the very reasons I opted for the P22 in the first place.

As stated in my previous post, I ran a few hundred rounds of CCI through the P22 first, now I use remington thunderbolts. The girl with the Mosquito uses the loose box of 555. She said the thunderbolts won't cycle the sig.

On a positive note, the P22 is broken in enough that it feeds CCI hollow points without issues.

NotUndeadYet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cvfd21 on Wed 25 May 2011 - 23:57

dbarnes357 wrote:All I know is I hate the safety on the P22. It is positioned too highly for me to manipulate, and the safety on the one I handled was way too stiff to manipulate even if it was in a more optimal location.

i had a walther p22 and loved it but have to agree the safety does suck but other than that it was a great gun

cvfd21
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top