Best side by side or UTV

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best side by side or UTV

Post by critt77matt on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:35 pm

Just what the title say. My dad and I are looking at getting a side by side or UTV. Any suggestions? I am thinking Polaris ranger or Honda's new "Big Red"(I think that is what they are calling them). My dad also mentioned the Kabota or an electric one. We have a small farm and I would use it to hunt also. I currently have a 1998 Honda 450 Foreman that I have been very satisfied with. Mainly will be used on the coast so water, sand, and mud but not a lot of steep climbs.

critt77matt
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Best side by side or UTV

Post by nonnieselman on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:59 pm

From all the ones ive drove i like the Big Red, its more of a work horse like all the past Honda's. Plus it dont have a stinking belt, so if your doing alot of pulling disk or trailers then i think you will be satisfied with it.
There are all kinds of side by sides that ride the creek with us so we get to see which one holds up best Very Happy Add in the alcohol and you really get to see which one will last longer with some drunks running the ever living crap out of them. quite entertaining at the least.

nonnieselman
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by critt77matt on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:07 pm

What about the Yamaha Rhinos? I know somebody who has a 450 Special they want to sell for $4,600.00. Said they just replaced a bunch of stuff on it including the fan, clutch, fuel pump, drive belt, but it has 28" tires and a snorkel. with 325 hrs

critt77matt
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:12 pm

my mom's got the polaris ranger 400cc. its a lot of fun, handles great, good acceleration and plenty of speed, hauls good. only one problem...carbeurated....i wish she would've gotten the 800cc, because i'm thinking it was fuel injected, and even if it wasn't the 800 still isnt supposed to be as cold-natured as the 400

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by banded on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:21 pm

I have had three Rangers and I wouldn't ride anything else for what I do with it. I don't use it to go mud riding. I use it around the camp to work on and I can tell you that if you use it right, the belt IS NOT an issue. If you are in AWD or under a load, put it in Low Range. I have the 2011 800XP and it is a beast.

The next closest thing to it on the market is the John Deer Gator 825XI. The cons in my opionion is that the cab is smaller and it is louder than the Ranger.

The Big Reds are nice machines, but they won't do half the stuff the Ranger will do. That is just my 2 cents. I have had three friends in the last year in the market for a UTV and they rode them all and they all ended up with the Ranger.

banded
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nonnieselman on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:00 pm

Ive just seen way too many belts burn or break to trust them. Yea they were run hard, but they should be able to handle that or they should have a throttle stop Very Happy

nonnieselman
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by banded on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:26 pm

I am not gonna say that they can't break, but I can tell you that I pull a 6'x10' trailer with at least 2,000 to 2,100 lbs of stuff on mine all the time in AWD Low Range and Never have a problem with the belts.

banded
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbat on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:28 pm

I would never buy a Polaris, we had a couple of them at work, they were used to check cooling ponds, no abusing,no mud riding strickly riding on smooth pond dikes about 5 miles a day easy riding and they were still in the shop once a month for something.

Nonnie is right they have got strong running engines, but they are surrounded by junk. My uncle's motorcycle dealership will not even take one on trade in.

Get a Honda.

I have reach the age where my brain went from "You probably shouldn't say that" to "What the hell, let's see what happens."
"Mamas don't let your babies grow up to ring cow bells"

bubbat

Back to top Go down

Post by 94LEVERFAN on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:41 pm

critt77matt wrote:What about the Yamaha Rhinos? I know somebody who has a 450 Special they want to sell for $4,600.00. Said they just replaced a bunch of stuff on it including the fan, clutch, fuel pump, drive belt, but it has 28" tires and a snorkel. with 325 hrs
I would not buy ANY ATV, UTV or anything with a snorkel on it. That alone tells me it has been USED AND ABUSED. Morengo swamp ride coming up 1rst weekend in June, spend $25.00 and go on it. You will have fun and get to see what abuse happens with a snorkel. If they need a snorkel, what they really need is a boat. Now, back on topic, Yamaha Rhino or Kawasaki T-Rex. My $.02. Bruce.

94LEVERFAN
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dhollis51 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:39 pm

I have a rhino and if I had to do it again I would get the ranger. the rhino is nice but very hot in the summertime and the loudest machine on the planet

dhollis51
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Dont know what best means....I luv my Polaris...no problems at all...why spend Big $ on these rides and purposely abuse one...

Might be fun, If Daddy is buying...But Daddy dont pay for mine....

It all depends on your wallet...I'd trust the Honda, the Yamaha, Polaris.

The weak link on the Polaris is the belt driven system...guess what folks...The japanese been putting timing "belts" in their cars for a long time! Not timing chains...They are lighter and less expensive...but they work!...and you gotta change em at recommended intervals...or you got trouble in River City

Dont forget the John Deere Gator...if hauling is your game

and some of ya'll are pulling way too much for the intended purpose of these rides.....2000 lbs...give me a break!...so if they break on ya...in a way you deserve it...I have a 12 yr old Polaris that has had nothing but batteries and oil changes...has been in shop one time for a belt...

Drive em like you stole em, don't maintain em....get ready to pay up

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Leferd on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:41 pm

I recently bought a 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 from a good friend and have had great service out of it. I ride it plenty hard but it's never been abused while in my possession. I hunt, joy ride, and work around the house with it. I suppose the only issue I have is I would like a little more top end speed and it's kinda loud at top speed. My Rhino runs about 38 mph with 14 in rims and itp mudlites. As far as suspension, handling, torque and acceleration, I have no complaints!

Leferd
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Xd357 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:44 pm

I ride a kubota everyday at work. It's heavy but a good machine.

Xd357

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Kubota has always made good stuff...yep

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Beladran on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:53 pm

if your young guy and wanna rip and romp either get the polaris razer or kaw t rex.... rhino's engines are in backwards so guess what happens when you start to climb a steep hill... plus like above they sound like a crop duster lol

if you want a work horse go with kubota or big red. i know folks with kubota diesels and let me tell you this guy has a 22 foot saltwater boat and he moves it around with that kubota like it aint jack

Beladran

http://Junikerjewelry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by critt77matt on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:16 pm

I am almost 26 so I don't have the desire to rip and romp as much any more. 30 mph is probably fast enough and 50 mph is the fastest I would want one to go.
My dad and I are going on 1/2s but it will stay at his house. He has used my Honda to pull his welder around and load a 5x8 trailer down with dirt and move it around. I could see him using this UTV to pull his fuel trailer around the place too or put his pontoon in the lake. But I also wanted to be able to use it to hunt and survey timber.
He looked at the Kabota a while back and liked it but never really looked at any thing else to compare. I have heard of problems with the razors overheating I think. Seems like Rangers were highly recommended too. The Honda is so new I haven't heard much. I was told the JD Gators were not very good off road.

Is the Kubota the only one that offers attachments? Which Kubota are ya'll using the 500 gas or 900 diesel?

critt77matt
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by critt77matt on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:14 pm

after researching online seems like the Honda has the best work play mix with about the same payload capacity as the kubota as goes almost twice as fast. from what I was looking at most of the major brands use belts but not Honda or Kubota. The bobcat looked similar to the Kubota but couldn't figure out what kind of trans. it had. Plus the Honda appears to cost less than the Kubota.

Time to go test drive them

critt77matt
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by here2party on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:36 am

My parents have had a kubota gas burner 500 for about 2 yrs, it is strictly for work. They love it and it is strong. They haul 5-600 lbs of fertilizer in the bed sometimes, put it in low range, no prob. Starts like a dream no matter cold weather or hot. No problems out of it yet.

here2party
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Eaglestroker on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:42 am

If it will be heavy use disregard my post as it wouldn't sit long enough but I would strongly lean towards the Kubota diesel. I can't speak for your quality of gasoline but I've dealt with enough gas gone back in the past year and a half that it would turn me off to anything gas powered.

My girlfriends grandmother has a Ranger - I've put it through some pretty hard situations but it just doesn't have the ground clearance needed to clear rocks/etc. I was impressed with it though!

BigRobsGunleather

Joe S. wrote:...... A 45/70 winchester is the supreme choice.

Eaglestroker
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

http://bigrobsgunleather.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Xd357 on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 am

The one I ride is a 900 diesel. It's not going to be good in the mud or playing around but for anything else it's a good work machine.

If that's not what your looking for I'd look into the Honda big red.

Xd357

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum