Liberty Mystic 9mm Suppressor Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Liberty Mystic 9mm Suppressor Review

Post by Bitwise on Mon May 16, 2011 11:39 pm

The tax stamp for my Liberty Mystic 9mm suppressor finally came back today. I early adopted and this one is from the first run. I tried the can today on several hosts:

• HK USP9 w/factory threaded barrel (13.5 Metric LH)
  • Sig P226 w/factory threaded barrel (13.5 Metric LH)
  • Beretta 92fs w/factory barrel threaded by Tornado Tech (1/2-28)
  • ATI 92C w/same barrel as above (it's a Turkish Beretta Centurion clone)
  • S&W M&P w/factory threaded barrel (1/2-28)

Every host has factory springs - no changes other than the barrels.

I was shooting Federal 115 gr FMJs and my own subsonic hand loads - 147 gr Rainer plated bullets with a minimal charge of VV340.

The 92fs barrel threaded by Tornado Tech doesn't work with this can - the barrel just isn't long enough and the guide rod smacks into the LID, preventing the slide from retracting. Every other host was 100% with both factory ammo and my hand loads. I've read that some pistols require non-standard recoil springs in order to cycle reliably with the LID, but I didn't have any problems.

I love this can so far! It's longer than some others and it's pretty hefty, but it balances well. I was pleased with the volume and the tone. With my 147 gr hand loads it was in the ballpark of my Mosquito with an SWR Spectre and Federal bulk pack, which are just on the verge of supersonic normally. The tone is deep and nice sounding - not harsh at all. It does get hot pretty quickly, though. After only 30 rounds or so it's uncomfortable to touch. I don't know if this is normal for a 9mm can or not since this is my first.

I was surprised by how quiet the M&P was. To my ears it was the best sounding of the bunch. The Sig and HK both sounded great and had a similar tone. The Beretta clone was a bit harsh and was easily the loudest.

I recommend this suppressor if you're looking for a high quality take apart in 9mm. It's rated for other calibers as well, but I'm only interested in 9mm right now. I've got an Octane 9 HD on order and am interested to see how they compare to each other.

Bitwise
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Liberty Mystic 9mm Suppressor Review

Post by LowLight on Tue May 17, 2011 12:40 am

looken to pick up a octane 9 myself. let us know what you think between the two. i'm crazy about the idea of a take apart 9mm can. nothen else makes any since to me.

LowLight
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NotUndeadYet on Tue May 17, 2011 10:55 am

Bitwise wrote: Every other host was 100% with both factory ammo and my hand loads. I've read that some pistols require non-standard recoil springs in order to cycle reliably with the LID, but I didn't have any problems.

Are you using the recoil booster or the standard fixed barrel mount?

Edit: Sorry about that, I'm relatively new to the idea of suppressors, and Liberty's site didn't mention a LID, calling it a recoil booster instead. Looking more at other suppressor sites, I see that Gemtech calls theirs a LID.

Last edited by NotUndeadYet on Tue May 17, 2011 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typed the first question before googling. BadTom! Bad!)

NotUndeadYet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitwise on Tue May 17, 2011 12:23 pm

I think the most general term is "Nielsen device" - every suppressor maker seems to use a different term. I got into the habit of calling them LIDs a while back.

But yeah, recoil booster the whole time. I actually bought two with the unit - one in 1/2-28 and one in 13.5. I think you can just buy the pistons separately now but at the time you had to buy an entire booster.

Bitwise
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitwise on Sun May 22, 2011 2:52 pm

I found my camera under a pile of debris in my home "office" (junk room) and thought I'd take some photos.

Here's the can mounted on an M&P 9mm, which is currently my favorite host.

The endcap is really neat. At first I didn't like it, but it's really grown on me. It blackens during use, but a quick bead blast cleans it right up.

Everything comes apart for cleaning. The tube is Titanium and the core is stainless. The booster is aluminum with a stainless steel piston.

It's a long, heavy can but it sounds great. Here's a Sig P226 with the Mystic compared to a Sig Mosquito with an SWR Spectre.

Bitwise
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cxarak on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Old thread but I'm interested to know which one you prefer. The mystic or octane?

cxarak
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bitwise on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:18 pm

On pistols - the Octane. The Mystic is long and heavy. Cycles fine on everything I've tried it on, but very muzzle heavy. I like cleaning the Mystic better - it's really easy. I run the Mystic full auto on subguns and really like the performance.

Sound-wise the Octane is quieter on pistol hosts, but not by a huge amount. It's much shorter, though, esp. since the booster is contained within the tube.

Bitwise
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cxarak on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:25 pm

That's what I'd have guessed. The liberty seems to be more versatile but comes with the added weight. Oh the choices.

cxarak
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by LowLight on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:00 pm

I to ended up going with a liberty mystic and can't be happier. I run the can on glock 17,19, sig 226. Works great on them all but it's a little over built for pistols. I have shot it side by side to a gemtech trinity and the mystic out preformed it hands down. Then when I turned around and mounted it to a mossberg mvp 223, savage 17 HMR tr, and a savage 22 fv-sr I knew I made the right choice. I don't own any full auto stuff but it gets a real good work out from time to time on my 7.5" 9mm ar. With time and money being what they are if someone is looking for a do it all can you just can't go wrong with a liberty mystic and customer survice is second to nun.

LowLight
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top