question on fully rifled slug barrels

View previous topic View next topic Go down

question on fully rifled slug barrels

Post by live2hunt on Fri May 27, 2011 10:17 pm

is it ok to shoot quote "rifled slugs"down a fully rifled barrel on a shotgun, or should i only use sabot style slugs???? this is on a cantilever mount barrel on a 20ga 870..... just let me know what you guys think............

live2hunt
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: question on fully rifled slug barrels

Post by agman7 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:54 pm

I've always thought that it was unnecessary. Use rifled slugs for smooth bore barrels and vice versa. I haven't bought slugs in a while but It should give some specs on the box. Besides that, why risk damaging a good barrel.

agman7
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by s_irwin23 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:23 pm

The general idea behind putting rifling on the slug itself is to have the drag in the air spin the bullet to make it more accurate. This is because there is not any rifling in the barrel itself, or for use with a smooth cylinder. Usually the rifling imprints on the bullet itself because the bullet fits very tightly down the bore of the barrel and thats how it spins the bullet. So it wont hurt the barrel to shoot rifled slugs but it is highly unneccessary and probably less accurate than shooting non-rifled slugs. Since you have a rifled barrel dont use rifled slugs.

s_irwin23
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by butch86 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:55 pm

IMHO its not gonna hurt the barrel. but i do not think your gonna have the accuracy with a rifled slug in a rifled barrel. the rifeling in the barrel is designed for the full slug.

butch86
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 22lrfan on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:40 am

I've never tried it. I don't see any reason that it would damage the barrel but like everone has said the accuracy may be poor. Especially if the rifling spins it the opposite direction that the vanes on the slug try to spin it.

22lrfan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Skippy on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:52 pm

I've done it with a friends Remington 870 (that he had just picked up at a gun show with both barrels) and Federal rifled slugs. We were trying to see if there was any advantage with the rifled barrel over the smooth bore barrel. We found them both just as accurate at 50 yards (that was the max length of the range we were shooting on. With buck shot the rifled barrel would scatter the heck out of 00 buckshot. He sold off the rifled barrel and kept the smooth bore barrel.

Hope this helps.

Skippy
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top