Blue Food Grade Water Barrels??

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blue Food Grade Water Barrels??

Post by powerstrokin06 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Where are you men/women purchasing your rain water collection barrels from?? I cant find anything out this way and would like to get my hands on at least 4 or 5 of em....

powerstrokin06
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Blue Food Grade Water Barrels??

Post by sidroski on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:43 pm

A sturdy garbage barrel works well. Plastic is plastic, just clean it out with some bleach. Fill it up slowly with water and see at what level it's gonna start to give out, better to find out now than when you have 35 gallons of water burst it and all your drinking water goes. Good for collecting but not for moving. I read here where Magee Coop sells the 30 or so gallon blue drums so I'd imagine one near you does also. Watch out though if you're bugging out, 30 gallons of H20 weighs about 240 lbs. Gonna need help to load it.

sidroski
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1985 4runner on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:16 am

I use the 15gal barrels. Easy to move when full.

1985 4runner
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by powerstrokin06 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:42 pm

I dont see me running or Bug'n out! Hell where am I going to go....lol I want to keep my water bill lower while being able to water the flowers so rain water collection is the obvious winner! I dont even know what a Magge Coop is?? Anybody What about those 15gal barrels 4runner where ya gett'n em??

powerstrokin06
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by useto on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 pm

I've been wondering the same thing and have been told recently that the Brandon CO-OP carries them also. New and used. I'm going to check on them soon.

useto
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by powerstrokin06 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:56 am

useto let me know if ya get a good find on them.....thanks

powerstrokin06
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentHitz on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:01 am

Bugging out ain't an option for me either, if we can find a place that gives a discount on quantity...I need 2 of the 55 gal.

EE has them, but shipping sux on those big things. LOL

SilentHitz
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bwechols on Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:22 pm

Ya'll may already know about this place, and the price may not be that great, but it is free shipping...

Link

I got one from them a couple years ago. It worked out fine.

bwechols
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 9c4me on Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:30 pm

I've gotten blue 55 gal. "reconditioned" drums for work from a place in Gluckstadt $30/ea. but not sure if they sell to the public or are food grade drums. Supposedly they are steam or pressure cleaned, can look up the name of the place later...

9c4me
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by useto on Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:09 pm

Called the Rankin county Co-op in Brandon and She said that they have used blue drums for sale. The open top with lid and band and the closed top with a bung? opening for liquid. She said they are food grade and had contained syrup or washing detergent. They are 55 gallon drums and sell for $12.50 each. I am going to get me some soon.

useto
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Expat on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:56 pm

IMO you guys that are worrying about storing water in drums in case something bad happen are going to be in really bad shape if and when something really does happen. First it tells me that you are stuck living in the city. Second that you do not have many survival skills if you are that worried about getting water to survive on in the SE USA. Think about this, if you are seriously concerned with survival and SHTF then your first priority should to be get your ass out of the city NOW. You may say you can't because your work blah blah blah, but IF you are serious about survival WHY put yourself at such a HUGE disadvantage of living in a city and depending on a government supplied utilities. Just some foood for thought:)

Expat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by useto on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:46 pm

That's just a snack. Not all of us have the luxury or the desire to tuck our tails and run. Some of us have obligations or needs that require us to stay put. Be careful judging everyone or acquiring the opinion that you have the only right answer.

useto
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by powerstrokin06 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Expat wrote:IMO you guys that are worrying about storing water in drums in case something bad happen are going to be in really bad shape if and when something really does happen. First it tells me that you are stuck living in the city. Second that you do not have many survival skills if you are that worried about getting water to survive on in the SE USA. Think about this, if you are seriously concerned with survival and SHTF then your first priority should to be get your ass out of the city NOW. You may say you can't because your work blah blah blah, but IF you are serious about survival WHY put yourself at such a HUGE disadvantage of living in a city and depending on a government supplied utilities. Just some foood for thought:)

Looks like somebody just jumped right in and did'nt read the earlier posts....... thumbs up Nice my know it all brother go back and reread what you should of read before throwing down your survival speach on the rest of us..... thumbs up Look at my profile under avatar and you'll see they aint no damn city in my neighborhood!!

powerstrokin06
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentHitz on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:41 pm

First it tells me that you are stuck living in the city. Second that you do not have many survival skills if you are that worried about getting water to survive on in the SE USA.
That's a might broad brush you're painting folks you know nothing about with...a lot of assuming.

SilentHitz
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Expat on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:28 pm

powerstrokin06 wrote:
Expat wrote:IMO you guys that are worrying about storing water in drums in case something bad happen are going to be in really bad shape if and when something really does happen. First it tells me that you are stuck living in the city. Second that you do not have many survival skills if you are that worried about getting water to survive on in the SE USA. Think about this, if you are seriously concerned with survival and SHTF then your first priority should to be get your ass out of the city NOW. You may say you can't because your work blah blah blah, but IF you are serious about survival WHY put yourself at such a HUGE disadvantage of living in a city and depending on a government supplied utilities. Just some foood for thought:)

Looks like somebody just jumped right in and did'nt read the earlier posts....... thumbs up Nice my know it all brother go back and reread what you should of read before throwing down your survival speach on the rest of us..... thumbs up Look at my profile under avatar and you'll see they aint no damn city in my neighborhood!!
"
The earlier posts in this thread??? Yes I read them. This is the survival preparedness forum and you are wanting water barrels for watering flowers or something....what does that have to do with survival?
You guys that are jumping on me for giving good advice please tell me what you plan to do with a few drums of stored water and just how long you think you are going to make it if you have no plans of leaving and that is what you are depending on.

Expat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentHitz on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 pm

You guys that are jumping on me for giving good advice please tell me what you plan to do with a few drums of stored water and just how long you think you are going to make it if you have no plans of leaving and that is what you are depending on.
Only advise in that post was to leave the city, the rest was telling us we had NO survival skills...a blanket statement of folks you know nothing about.

I moved out of the 'hood' in Jackson a couple years ago...Byram is much smaller. If I could AFFORD it on a fixed income, I would already be on some land with water on it...the barrels in my case are for short term. If everyone that wanted to, including myself, have their own place in the sticks...don't you think all the cities in the country would be at least 1/2 empty by now???

Everyone has to do what they can with what they have...and you have zero clue as to my survival skills...no matter where I live. You could have worded your 'advise' a little better IMHO. We all have to play with the hand we're dealt...and not everyone has a great hand to work from.

SilentHitz
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Expat wrote:The earlier posts in this thread??? Yes I read them. This is the survival preparedness forum and you are wanting water barrels for watering flowers or something....what does that have to do with survival?

It is the Survival/Preparedness/Self Sufficiency Forum. With the exception of a few very narrow minded people that covers a large range of topics and skills. I store water for dirniking and toilet flushing because it is Hurricane Season and sometimes that means power outages and no water. Sometimes it is winter storms that knock out the power so my well is of no use.

Being prepared means being prepared for anything and not just the blue helicopter/zombie/extraterrestrial/Communist hordes invasion. Having water onhand is a good idea no matter what you have it for. I don't know you but here is a little advise...slow down when making judgements. If you have to err, err on the side of being soft. Also if you pull your head out of your ass you won't have that s**t taste in your mouth all the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Expat on Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Good grief some people have toilet paper skin and/or can't handle the truth!

I did not mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I have no problem with someone storing water for whatever reason. Storing water for short term needs like storms or what is fine. My advice was meant to make people think outside the box. Do some research and reading from people in countries that have had complete governmental collapses and you will see the ones that have the best chances are the ones that were far away from urban areas. I stand by my statements and if you get your panties in a wad over it then good luck when things get really bad, who will you cry to then?

Expat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by useto on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:50 pm

You are a very insulting individual. I'm glad that I don't have the displeasure of knowing you. You had every intention of "ruffling feathers" with your smarta$$ remarks. I happen to live on 80 acres of land with timber, pasture and a creek running through it. That doesn't quite fit your assumption of me does it? I also have a 30,000 gallon swimming pool in my backyard, but none of that is any good if you can't transport it and/or filter it. I don't believe we will ever reach the Mad Max senario that you are preaching, but I'll pit my survival skills/techniques against yours any day. I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere and was to taught to depend on noone but me. Maybe I do have "toilet paper skin", but at least that gives me something useful in a "pinch". As my avatar states, I useto do a lot of things that I don't Have to do any more.

useto
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by powerstrokin06 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Fact of the matter is expat you put your foot all up in your mouth with your ignorant post... You just felt the need to throw your tin foil hat on and pounce on someone.. Like I stated read thread in full and you'll realize your WRONG! If I want to water some dagum flowers for free using mother natures most precious offering then what in the hell does that have to do with my survival skills?? Bow out gracefully we'll let it go, next time read brother read... Now I need to go to Brandon Co-Op and get me sum..

powerstrokin06
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top