Why don't kids and young (under 40) adults acknowledge gifts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why don't kids and young (under 40) adults acknowledge gifts?

Post by NRA_guy on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Why don't kids and young (under 40) adults acknowledge gifts any longer?

It's NOT because they were not taught to do so as children---at least some anyway.

I can't tell you how many wedding gifts, baby shower gifts, graduation gifts, Christmas gifts, and birthday gifts we have shipped to children of friends and relatives and never heard back. Not one word.

And eventually, I ask their mama or daddy or spouse, "Did so-and-so ever get the $50 Walmart gift card (or $100 bill or whatever) we sent him?"

And I hear something like, "Oh, yeah. He got it."

And we get EVERY wedding announcement, baby announcement, graduation invitation, etc.

Yeah. I know---they're SOOOOOOO busy they don't have the time. Right.

We are not even expecting a written "Thank You" note.

I mean, a phone call or an email or text message would be better than nothing, but we don't even get that.

I have just about had it.

pull hair

NRA_guy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Why don't kids and young (under 40) adults acknowledge gifts?

Post by RKpianoman on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:24 pm

I still send hand-written thank you letters for any gift I receive. Why most people don't do the same is beyond me; if someone went to the trouble to send something for a special occasion, I can easily take 2 minutes to write a letter, grab an envelope, stamp it, and drop it in the mailbox.

RKpianoman
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by powerstrokin06 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:42 pm

It's the "You owe me Generation" or the "I deserve it" groups!! It's a damn shame really and we wonder why our country and civilization is what it is....They dont miss a beat when it comes time for the invites and such but after that you owe it to them.....Good comment and I feel ya on this one..

powerstrokin06
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:35 pm

I do my best to at least make a phone call, but on occasion I do get lazy and/or forget about it, but seeing the person tends to jog my memory and I make a point to thank them then...but we know that doesn't always work out.

I'd personally prefer to thank/be thanked in person because I just see no gratitude in a text/email, very little in a phone call, and since I have crappy handwriting I just don't do the thank you notes....

Like I said, I'm not perfect, but I do make an effort, and I know a LOT of people who are the epitome of this topic....absolute ingrates

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by butch86 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:55 pm

it burns my crawl to never hear from someone i sent something to. i was tought that if someone takes the time to think of you and get you something its proper to send them a thank you of some sorts.

i admit i have been lazy and bought thank you cards and mailed them out. normally its a visit or a personal phone call. i also buy all of my friends a gift for there birthdays. not a gift card ( i think thats a cheesey gift) i dont buy christmas gifts for anyone outside my close family.ie brother sister mom dad kids and wife. all the neiceses and nephews get birthday as well. gets very expencive buying gifts for everyone you know for christmas.

i guess my dad and mom raised me old school with some values. i am raising mine the same way.

butch86
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:58 am

Living on the borderline of age (42) here is what I've noticed:

There are just as many folks older than me who don't give thanks for gifts as there are young whipper snappers who act the same.
Also, it seems that people who don't thank you for a gift don't expect to be thanked for a gift they gave you, so it's not a breach of protocol in their minds.

Graduation gifts: I can't think of a single thanks that I've gotten, but I don't expect to get one from an 18 year old kid unless I give it to them in person.

Wedding gifts: 50/50. Kids who are friends of my kids---nothing. Older folks or relatives or the kids of close friends---usually get some kind of "thank you".

General purpose gifting: Don't really expect any thanks from that. If I get it, fine. If not, no big deal. If a friend comes over and I give him something like a wrench or bike part, I'm not expecting anything. Maybe it is because he'll give me something at some point. Maybe that is more of a trading/communal type exchange?

I guarantee that every one of us has either failed to thank someone at some point or the level of thanks we gave was not high enough to satisfy the gifter.

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 3spop on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:16 am

I'm under 40. Send me a gift. I'll thank you kindly!

3spop
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by NRA_guy on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:06 pm

That's what they all say! Wink

I have received invitations from and have sent graduation gifts to children of children of first cousins---kids I never knew existed. I was there once.

The best thanks I ever received was a handwritten note from a boy who had finished high school.

His note simply said, "Thank you. I will make you proud."

I loved it.

I mentioned it to his grandmama and she said, "He's already made us proud just by finishing high school!"

NRA_guy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by steve2112 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:38 pm

It's a lot of things. One of the biggest things is, as a culture, we have become much more casual. Look at email, Twitter, Facebook messages, etc. They are all usually short and to the point (except for those long, rambling, pointless emails from your boss or coworkers). Because of this, we have gotten away from written communications. You see it in all aspects of culture: casual dress at work and some churches, text messages instead of phone calls, etc. Written thank-you notes are a very formal thing. It's not an excuse, it's just a statement on how culture is changing.

Of course, one thing I have never figured out is why everybody is in such a hurry. I mean, what is everybody doing that is so important they can't handle a short conversation? I am under 40 (barely), but I am old and crotchety before my time. Smile

steve2112
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NRA_guy on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:45 pm

I'd settle for an email or phone call, but I don't even get that.

NRA_guy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RKpianoman on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:50 pm

NRA_guy wrote:I'd settle for an email or phone call, but I don't even get that.

Myers and I will be graduating in May; we both know how to write thank you letters! lol

RKpianoman
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Leferd on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:03 am

I can say that a youngins raising has a lot to do with sending thankyous and showing appreciation for gifts received whenever. I know we may have gotten slack with some courtesy, but I firmly believe there are values and customs that must not be forgotten regardless of age or any other reason. I will be the first to say I'm sure I have failed in this area at some point, but I always try to step up and do whats proper.

Leferd
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ree_countrygirl on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:07 am

RKpianoman wrote:
NRA_guy wrote:I'd settle for an email or phone call, but I don't even get that.

Myers and I will be graduating in May; we both know how to write thank you letters! lol

kinda my thoughts. i finish ole miss may 2013 and i hand wrote thank yous for all my high school graduation gifts

ree_countrygirl
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Myers on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:49 pm

I write a mean thank you note.

PS-I like anything that goes boom or bang.

Myers
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ree_countrygirl on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:18 pm

Myers wrote:I write a mean thank you note.

+1!!!!
i'll even wait till after law school for mine to give ya'll time to recover from myers Smile

ree_countrygirl
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NRA_guy on Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:39 am

ree_countrygirl wrote:

+1!!!!
i'll even wait till after law school for mine to give ya'll time to recover from myers Smile

I couldn't refuse to send a graduation present to somebody with a Kemper County connection. I've probably sent most of them presents already over the years. rotflmao

NRA_guy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ree_countrygirl on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:48 pm

NRA_guy wrote:
ree_countrygirl wrote:

+1!!!!

I couldn't refuse to send a graduation present to somebody with a Kemper County connection. I've probably sent most of them presents already over the years. rotflmao

to be honest with you i got as many if not more gifts from there when i graduated as i did from where i lived growing up. it's like a second home to me!

ree_countrygirl
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top