Paper shotgun shells

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paper shotgun shells

Post by Caleb C on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:02 am

An old friend gave me a bag full of paper shotgun shells that he'd been holding on to for a while. Some of them are in remarkable condition considering how old they are. I plan to make some kind of display case for the best of them. May be Plexiglas with a desiccant to keep the moisture off of them. The gentleman that gave them to me is in his 70s and says he remembers shooting shells similar to this when he was in high school. If that's the case these things are old. I'm really looking for some more confirmation on the age of these. Do any of ya'll remember shooting them? Any info that you could offer would be great.

Caleb C
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Re: Paper shotgun shells

Post by Scharfsch├╝tze on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:32 am

I remember buying paper shells at the Sears in Pascagoula in the 1970s. Don't remember the brand.

Scharfsch├╝tze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Location: In the SW part of the "Land Mass" between Louisiana and Alabama

Back to top Go down

Post by Reloader on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:07 am

I remember shooting them. I have some older ones that I would still shoot except for sentimental value. They are usually wax coated to keep out moisture. You can rewax them if you plan to display. I drilled a small hole in side and removed the powder before I display.

Reloader
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Bowser on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:40 am

They did not have plastic shells when I started using a shotgun. All of the shotgun shells I bought had rolled crimp because they were cheaper.

A few years ago, a friend gave me 6000+ empty Federal Trap shotgun shells. They were paper with petal crimp. I have been reloading them ever since. i have noticed, the paper shells seem to recoil less than plastic with the same load in them. The paper shells will reload about 4 times before the petal crimp area on the shell blows off.

Nice collection.

Doug

Doug Bowser
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:52 am

My brother is only 30 and I remember in high school he found a whole box of Peter's paper shell #6's and went squirrel hunting with them. They shot great.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Caleb C on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:57 am

There's no doubt in my mind that these would shoot but I can't do that. The Rem Shurshot and Win Super X are some of the best looking paper shells I've seen. I'd really like to put them in a nice moisture safe display case and keep them until I'm an old man. Some other youngster may be glad to have them one day.

Caleb C
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:39 pm

I remember buying Alcan paper shell ammo at Surplus City in the early 70s..... Shot them, but didn't reload them.

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Evil Zim on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:58 pm

I have a box of assorted shells like that Which belonged to my late father in law. I suspect they date back to the 1960's.

Evil Zim
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by savageshooter on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:50 pm

i have a box somewhere. i think they are super X #6.

savageshooter
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bwechols on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:25 pm

FWIW, I found these paper hull Federal shells while cruising the internet. They're a little pricier than your standard target shells.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Shotgun-Ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104567580/Federal-Gold-Medal-Paper-Target-Shotshells-Per-Case/1156670.uts

bwechols
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by LugerT on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:55 pm

I've shot a few hundred paper cartridge 16 gauge rounds that were given to me by my grandfather. Even though many people told me they'd fail, everyone of them worked, most putting a squirrel in the freezer.

LugerT
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum