Savage Mark II GXP

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Savage Mark II GXP

Post by PapaDawg on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Was in Dick's today and spent the obligatory 10 - 15 minutes waiting for someone to show up at the gun counter. Read their price book and current flyer and noticed they have the Mark II GXP on sale for $159.00 (reg $179.00). Can't find any info on this model, so can someone please tell me where it fits into the Mark II scheme of things? And, would it be worth buying? Forgot to mention that it's scoped. I'm within a few keystrokes of ordering a MK II BV and just want to know a little about this one. Don't think it has the Accutrigger -

Thanks

PapaDawg
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Savage Mark II GXP

Post by shoeshooter on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:45 pm

Bought one of those myself about three weeks ago. It's a "G" model packaged with a scope. Nice action, but the trigger was 5.5 lbs. Not accutrigger. Had a Rifle Basix sear put in mine, under two lbs. now. Nice rifle for the money.

What are your plans for it?

shoeshooter
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:55 pm

I could not find that particular model on savages site, pretty sure its just the base model non accutrigger gun. Wal mart sells the same gun with out a scope for about $129. Ive had 2 of them, they are just as accurate as the heavy barrel guns.
What ive got now is this one, pretty much the same gun as the tr model. Main difference is the stock and the tr has a matte finish. This guns so accurate it gets boring. Btw.. go to the dicks madison store, total time when i bought mine was maybe 20 minutes including the time to call it in and ring me out. Ive had very good service at that store, yet i wont set foot in the flowood store again.

http://dickssportinggoods.shoplocal.com/DSG/default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&flashbrowse=y&storeid=2597416&rapid=1270513&pagenumber=2&listingid=-2082707173&ref=%2fdsg%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsepageflash%26storeid%3d2597416%26pagenumber%3d2%26rapid%3d1270513%26prvid%3dDSG-110925

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PapaDawg on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Shoe and Rw -

Thanks for the info guys- posed the question cuz I'd been all over the Savage site and elswhere and could not find that puppy. Glad to hear you both give it good reviews - maybe I'll just put the BV on hold for now and make a trip to the Dick's in Madison tomorrow. Just gonna be plinkin' and some target shooting at Magnolia and will probably put some new glass on it (may have to go to Wally World instead). Who did the sear work for you, Shoe and, if you don't mind me asking, ballpark - what'd it set you back? Thanks again -

PapaDawg
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Well, i was curious about the sear mod... I wont be spending that much on a 22. Midway has it for $94. Ill tear into mine and just do some polishing.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by shoeshooter on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:18 pm

$85 for the sear direct from Rifle Basix website, free shipping. I'm no gunsmith, but I tried to install it. Actually think I had it in okay, but in my ignorance it didn't seem right. Took it to Thomas Bullock at Surplus City. One day and $17 later it feels good. Supposed to be able to adjust it real low, just haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

I think the one at walmart has a synthetic stock.

shoeshooter
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sand_man on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:09 am

To change the subject, I just tried to kill your bug PapaDawg!! confused lol

OT

sand_man
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by spmwheels on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:40 am

Papa, I just bought the BV myself and I'm very pleased with it so far. I have yet to get any range time with it so far but have been fiddling with it at home doing dry fire drills just testing the trigger and getting it where I want it. I can't find a single thing to complain about with it thus far. If you decide to go that route I think you will be very pleased. I'm planning on getting the dnz game reaper mount to go on it and replace the mounts that came on it and the rings that they put on when I had the scope mounted and bore sighted at great southern. The scope I decided to go with on it is the tasco target/varmint 10-40x50 from CTD around $152 shipped. And a little side note, Sand_man I just have to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been after that bug I keep forgetting that he has it down there and have tried killing it about 4 times now while reading different post lol

spmwheels
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by shoeshooter on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:48 am

I really DO need an eye exam...never noticed the "bug". He/she is kinda cute...don't kill it!

shoeshooter
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PapaDawg on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:50 am

sand_man wrote:To change the subject, I just tried to kill your bug PapaDawg!! confused lol

OT

That bug is one tuff little mutha - lotsa folks tried to do him in, lotsa folks failed! Smile

And Wheels, thanks for the info on the BV - been thinking about what glass to use when I get to that point -

Later All

PapaDawg
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by spmwheels on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:01 am

No problem just glad I could help. BTW if you don't already have something else in mind on the glass, give the scope I also mentioned in my post a look It's not over expensive and It's one of the clearest scopes I've ever used.

spmwheels
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by LugerT on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Bought a savage mark II GXP from dick's about two years ago, have to say it hits right on the mark even with a scrambled and shaken box of cheap bulk pack .22rf ammo. Mine came with a cheap bushnell 3-9x40 but it serves its purpose. I have had much luck with squirrels and a few possums with it, I would highly recommend it.

Last edited by LugerT on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sometimes I type like I'm dyslexic)

LugerT
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigdaddy on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:02 am

I have one that I got from Dick's on sale a couple of years ago as well and it is pretty dead on with the cheap glass that came with it and the bulk ammo I shoot. On sale, Cheap glass, bulk ammo, Man I must be cheap myself?

bigdaddy
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top