Taurus 380 Revolver

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Taurus 380 Revolver

Post by granjack on Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:14 pm

Just read an article discussing ammunition stopping power (check out the link below) that supposedly draws from research by 3 policemen. The author says, "The three or four best .380 JHP rounds have better stopping power than ANY bullet fired out of 2" barrel .38 Special snub-nose..." While looking around I came across the Taurus 380 revolver and wonder whether the 380 revolver with a 2" barrel would have more stopping power than the .38 special snubbies? Also wonder about accuracy, dependability, trigger quality on the Taurus. Anybody have any experience with them?
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

granjack
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Taurus 380 Revolver

Post by Rw on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:03 pm

I dont think that gun is made anymore, its not showing up in a search on taurus's site.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by granjack on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Rw wrote:I dont think that gun is made anymore, its not showing up in a search on taurus's site.

Four or five for sale on Gunbroker, all new. Do you have any experience with that or the other small frame Taurus revolvers (.22 mag, etc.)? I've heard their .38 is terrible, hangs up, etc.

granjack
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Ive only owned one taurus revolver, a older 44magnum. I dont think i would buy one of their current guns. Way too many horror stories out there, just ask beladran. Im not a huge fan of 38 special, but my smith airweight is one of my favorites. Thats the minimum i would carry for protection. No way would i trust a 380 over a +p 38 round.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Somebody help me understand why you would willingly go out gunned with a 380 when so many other cartridges and guns are available...

Its just plain ....well...I'll say unwise....

I'll take a modern 38 +p HP over a 380 any day of the week

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by granjack on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:13 pm

msredneck wrote:Somebody help me understand why you would willingly go out gunned with a 380 when so many other cartridges and guns are available...

I appreciate the edit to "unwise"

There's a difference between unwise and ignorant. I will willingly admit to being ignorant when it comes to the stopping power of different calibers in concealed handguns, but I wonder how unwise I might be to carry a 380 when other opinions indicate that the 380 with the right ammo has "better stopping power than ANY bullet fired out of 2" barrel .38 Special snub-nose", (quoted from the article at the link I referenced, and I think he was including the +p in that ANY). That's the point of asking "dumb" questions on the forum, to cure ignorance. Obviously, if you are using something other than a snubbie, your .38+p probably is better. If I could figure out how to carry my S&W 15-2 with a 4" barrel concealed, I'd certainly feel better than with a 380.

granjack
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MS45 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:22 pm

My experience with the Taurus revolvers has been hit or miss as far as the triggers are concerned. They wouldn't be my first pic for a snub.

There have been a few threads sprout up on other sites citing that same quote, but I haven't seen much to substantiate it. However, even if that were true they're using the ballistics of .380 ACP out of a 3"-3.5" barrel most likely against a .38 (standard pressure) spl load in a 2" revolver. I think that if you compare a .38 spl +p snub vs. .380 ACP snub that the +p .38 is going win by a significant margin.

I think that a 5-shot .380 revolver would give up any advantage that it might have had over a .38 +p, and that would be 7+1 capacity in roughly the same size and weight. Personally I think that the .38 +p is a better round, but if I went with a .380 I'd want a bottom feeder for the extra shots.

Have you looked at the 905s?

MS45
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by granjack on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:49 pm

MS45 wrote:My experience with the Taurus revolvers has been hit or miss as far as the triggers are concerned. They wouldn't be my first pic for a snub.

Have you looked at the 905s?

That 905 looks interesting, 9mm in about the same size as the .38 snubbies. Am I still taking my chances with the triggers on that one.

Maybe it's just time that I started visiting the pawn shops, find something that feels good and I can afford and stop worrying about caliber. Any concealed carry beats just talking about it.

granjack
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sidroski on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:11 am

granjack wrote:Maybe it's just time that I started visiting the pawn shops, find something that feels good and I can afford and stop worrying about caliber. Any concealed carry beats just talking about it.
That's a good choice. I have several snubby .38, a few Taurus and two Rossi. Never had a problem out of either brand. Course I don't feed them a lot of +p's. Just for carry so I carry +p but only shoot enough with that to keep in practice. Mine are all oldier ones so I don't know if QA has gone down since the merger. 158 grains will have a fella wondering why he picked you.

sidroski
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinetor on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:25 pm

I cant comment on the 380...
I cant even comment on the articles content on the 380 versus any other round, as I could not make it that far into the article.

Just as Neck was rather extreme ... so is the article. I like Ayoob, but saying that all reloads are junk? Since I do not buy that line... it matters not what the article says.

Never use hand-loaded or re-loaded ammunition for self-defense! You may encounter some joker who says he can hand-load ammunition so powerful it will knock anything on two legs down for the count, but don't buy it. This junk will either misfire or ruin your gun.

pinetor
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MS45 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:20 pm

Maybe it's just time that I started visiting the pawn shops, find something that feels good and I can afford
That's probably the best thing to do. There are several reasonably priced options out there.

My experiences with Taurus revolvers certainly doesn't constitute the gospel, but my experiences have been better with the older ones. All of them have been reliable, but some of the triggers weren't that hot. I know several folks that own them and love them.

A couple of things to keep in mind about the 905 is that most people report that the recoil is more than they thought it would be. I've never shot one, but most everyone that I have talked to agrees that the recoil falls somewhere between a .38 +p and a .357. And, like most, if not all auto cartridges, they require some type of moon clip to be able to load. I believe that Taurus uses a Stellar Clip. I do not have a clue what they actually sell for, but Taurus advertises them for $9 a piece.

I cant even comment on the articles content on the 380 versus any other round, as I could not make it that far into the article.
It's just as well, you wouldn't have liked the rest much either. lol At the .380 he says "now we're getting into some decent stopping power." At the 9mm he says they're "adequate" and at 10mm he says that they're no more power than a 9mm, which was adequate. SO.... a 10mm is adequate stopping power and a .380 is decent stopping power. IDK

MS45
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by granjack on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 pm

msredneck wrote:Somebody help me understand why you would willingly go out gunned with a 380 when so many other cartridges and guns are available...

I listened and learned. Bought a used Charter Arms 2000 in .38 spl. Since I can't shoot +p in it what do you and the others here recommend for self defense loads? Been reading about the Hornady Critical Defense 110gr, what's your take on those?

granjack
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by pinetor on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:36 am

Hmm I wasn't aware of anyone making a frame that could not take +p pressures.

For me: roll your own. basically a good fast powder with a small charge and bullet.
3.2 - 3.4gr TiteGroup
110 JHP
might want to put a paper wad in it

Yeah, lighter rounds will probably behave better in a snubbie. 110 to 125 JHP even at non-plus P should take the fight out of a Bad guy.

pinetor
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt K on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:44 am

If you are worried about your caliber having the best stopping power, take a look at this interesting study. http://buckeyefirearms.com/node/7866 It shows not much difference in stopping power between .22 and .45 acp. Rifles and shotguns are heads and shoulders better than any handgun, but we already knew that. I found it very interesting.

Matt K
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by granjack on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:01 pm

[quote="pinetor"]Hmm I wasn't aware of anyone making a frame that could not take +p pressures.

As I understand it, a few (50-100) rounds wouldn't blow them up, but quite a few are not specifically rated for +p, including some of the recent S&W small frames. Practicing with standard pressure and carrying 5 rounds of +p for real-time danger would not hurt the gun and would give extra push.

granjack
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by granjack on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Matt K wrote:If you are worried about your caliber having the best stopping power, take a look at this interesting study. http://buckeyefirearms.com/node/7866 It shows not much difference in stopping power between .22 and .45 acp. Rifles and shotguns are heads and shoulders better than any handgun, but we already knew that. I found it very interesting.

That was an interesting article. Guess if I practice enough so I can put it between the bad guy's eyes, it doesn't matter what I'm shooting. Don't know If most of us have the time or inclination to practice that much, so we go with what we feel comfortable with. I plan on shooting a couple of boxes out of my .38 snubbie, and if I can hit where I'm aiming, can carry it concealed comfortably, and load it with a round I trust, I'll be satisfied.

granjack
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MS45 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Just an FYI, but this is what Charter has to say about it:
Q. Can I shoot +P in my .38 revolver?
A. Charter .38's are among the smallest revolvers in this caliber. Yes they can handle +P but we do not recommend it for the following reasons:

The reasons that they cited were the recoil and a .38 +p requiring 4" of barrel to burn the powder.

A lot of folks with snubs rave about the 110 grain Hornady Critical Defense. Speer has a line out that is supposedly made for short barrels. The Gold Dot Short Barrel is 135 grain and is getting 865 ft/s muzzle velocity and 11" penetration (in bare gelatin) out of a 2" barrel. I'm sure that they have some other stuff, but that's what is loaded in mine atm.

MS45
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by granjack on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:41 pm

MS45 wrote:Just an FYI, but this is what Charter has to say about it:
Q. Can I shoot +P in my .38 revolver?
A. Charter .38's are among the smallest revolvers in this caliber. Yes they can handle +P but we do not recommend it for the following reasons:

The reasons that they cited were the recoil and a .38 +p requiring 4" of barrel to burn the powder.

A lot of folks with snubs rave about the 110 grain Hornady Critical Defense. Speer has a line out that is supposedly made for short barrels. The Gold Dot Short Barrel is 135 grain and is getting 865 ft/s muzzle velocity and 11" penetration (in bare gelatin) out of a 2" barrel. I'm sure that they have some other stuff, but that's what is loaded in mine atm.

Thanks for the info! I plan on picking up a box of the Hornady and the Gold Dot to see which my gun and I like the best. Then I get to go looking for the right carry holster, but that is a subject for a new topic.

granjack
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe S. on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:54 pm

Glad ya went with the 38 jack. I have a bunch of different 38spl ammo and you're welcome to stop by and get some if ya ever make it to clinton. Think I even have some of the gold dot short barrel ammo.

That critical defense is good stuff.

Joe (NOT a 380 fan) S.

Joe S.
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by granjack on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Joe S. wrote:Glad ya went with the 38 jack. I have a bunch of different 38spl ammo and you're welcome to stop by and get some if ya ever make it to clinton. Think I even have some of the gold dot short barrel ammo.

That critical defense is good stuff.

Joe (NOT a 380 fan) S.

Thanks for the offer Joe. I may stop by one day on my way to Bass Pro. The Hornady Critical Defense has good reviews and it is available most everywhere. Still gonna try some others. I think I will be putting 158gr JHP's in my 4" S&W for home and occasional carry, that's a stopper.

Jack

granjack
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top