Main battle/SHTF/Survival Rifle - Bolt action or auto?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Main battle/SHTF/Survival Rifle - Bolt action or auto?

Post by hawghound on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Under the "Picking the right combination of calibers for self-reliance", the topic of a Main Battle Rifle came up. As one of the authors suggested, the key factors would be A) parts replacement and B) availability of ammo.

A) factors-
The less parts a rifle has on it, the less parts one has to keep on hand
The better quality the rifle, the less breakage of parts,
The ability to work on the rifle, and
The more common the rifle, the more potential for finding parts.

A good quality bolt action like the Remington 700 or Ruger 77 has less parts and are common, but does these factors make them better for a Main battle/SHTF/Survival Rifle than a AR in .308? Say, compare the Ruger Gunsite (308, bolt) to a DPMS Oracle or AP4 (308, auto). Both rifles have 16.5" barrels and both have magazines.

B) factors-
The ability to obtain ammo. Is the ammo a 'common' round ?
The ability to reload ammo. Is the brass and bullets common?

I really like the 6.8 SPC as a round but I would not consider it a common round. I can't go the Wal-Mart and purchase the round. The brass is not what I call common but the bullets are .277 (the same as the .270 Winchester). Would you sell the rifle and purchase something more common or would you stock up on brass and bullets?

hawghound
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Main battle/SHTF/Survival Rifle - Bolt action or auto?

Post by captain-03 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Just one thought -- if you have to travel/bug-out you can't take all those bullets/brass and/or loaded rounds. I would want something that is common .... IF it is strictly for SHTF time.

"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

"Then, Sir, we shall give them the bayonet" Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by hawghound on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Good point! Weight and space are both factors.

A Ruger Gunsite weighs less than a DPMS AP4.

On average, short action ammo weighs less than and takes less space than long action ammo, Etc.

hawghound
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Eaglestroker on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:56 pm

I think a 30-30 lever would be my choice. Light/compact, and a wildly popular round that's been around over a hundred years means you'd be able to find it for some time to come.

BigRobsGunleather

Joe S. wrote:...... A 45/70 winchester is the supreme choice.

Eaglestroker
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

http://bigrobsgunleather.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beladran on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:03 pm

i got a G3/hk91 clone for this reason.. I was actually torn on caliber to shoot. Maybe i was overthinking the situation but to me if i was the military/gov and all heck breaks out i would suck up ALL ammo that they use or could use. 9mm, 45acp, 308, 7.62x39, 300 winmag, 338 lapua, 50bmg. If that happened a wild cat or less common caliber might have been better since you might actually could find it??? IDK to much thinking.
i watched enough sniper matches to realize both bolt guns and autos have their place in the battle field. G3 will not produce 3inch groups at 600 yards like a good 700 will. G3 will put more rounds on targets faster at closer ranges than a bolt gun can and with drum mags could even throw down some half way decent supressing fire. a AR based 308 will/should produce better long range results than a battle rifle. But as of right now i plan on buying TONS of parts for my rifle will surplus is still out there. I want to get enough parts so that i can keep my rifle in service for at least two-three generations

Beladran

http://Junikerjewelry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beladran on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:05 pm

hawghound wrote:
The better quality the rifle, the less breakage of parts,

AK-47 defeats that logic lol

Beladran

Back to top Go down

Post by sand_man on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Lever 30-30 or 44 mag. I know it's not a 308 but I could keep them ducking with it.

sand_man
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by hawghound on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:46 pm

Eaglestroker wrote:I think a 30-30 lever would be my choice. Light/compact, and a wildly popular round that's been around over a hundred years means you'd be able to find it for some time to come.

I have read a number of authors had state that a 30-30 or 44 mag lever would be the way to go. For one, it doesn't look like a assault rifle but holds 6 (30-30) or 10 (44 ) rounds in the tube. They both have the power to kill most all North American game out to a decent distance. The ammo is very common and easy to reload. And as one author stated about the 30-30 - "it seems every hunters closet has one in the corner."

hawghound
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by arnygollott3 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:07 pm

.308 of some flavor

From a self defense stand point, defending your home and your family that is...

If you are in a more urban setting I say an Socom II M1A since threats will often likely be closer and perhaps even inside, if you are in a more rural setting and your property to defend is fairly large I think an accurate bolt gun could be better where distances might be greater...

Either one would NEED to be accompanied by a handgun AND if possible a Henry Survival .22 Rifle too...

arnygollott3
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Beladran on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Lol you need the best if both worlds like a sniper spotter team one with a long range bolt gun an One with a semi... Husband an wife duo

Beladran

Back to top Go down

Post by SOCOM SHTR on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Tough choice as with the caliber topic, question is are you going to have to fight off hoards of huligans, do you wanta engage groups do you want to give up your position etc. I personnally like auto's over bolt's.

SOCOM SHTR
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentHitz on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Of the 2 actions you listed...bolt action. Less moving parts to replace, IF you can find them in a SHTF situation.

Although I love the .308, I have a 30/06 #1, you can find ammo anywhere...even the old country stores. They may not have much ammo, but will almost always have 06, 30/30, and 12 ga. ( add .22)

Also agree with those who say keep a 30/30 lever on hand for the same reason...got a Marlin in the safe myself. Would like to find an old Savage in .308 to round out my particular needs...yours may be different.

SilentHitz
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:59 pm

got plenty bolts...plenty ammo...can roll my own...

308 bolt action - hands down

I aint gonna slug it out...single man in a battle loses..I'm gonna hide out pick em off

a 22 would be quite handy for critter gathering....ya'll do eat critters don't ya?

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hawghound on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Personally, I was taught (from a very young age) that if someone could hear or see you more than few yards then you too loud and too far in the open.

I saw a post yesterday about killing hogs using a threaded Ruger 77 44 mag. that shot subsonic 300 grain bullets that has 666 fpe at the muzzle and still has 575 FPE at 100 yds. That would be a consideration in a survival / SHTF situation.

I like this idea - especially, when there is a Ruger 44 mag revolver on my side and a Ruger 22LR in a shoulder holster.

hawghound
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:28 pm

If they can't see or hear ya.....well..... thinking

lol

Since photos - suppressor has been Black T'ed
Savage Mark II 22

Savage Model 93 - 17 HMR - threaded

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:31 pm

I am thinking if i had to part with everything but 1 rifle I'd have to keep my Ar in .223, but as I said before I like versatility and will be keeping all my rifles in all my calibers as long as possible.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutus on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:32 pm

For a main battle rifle, I think the nod has to go to a semi-auto -- Faster and surer to reload and higher ammo capacity.

I think bolt guns have their place, but even if you have a high-cap mag, they're usually not 20 rounds like an M-1A, FAL, etc. Also, military-type semi-autos are designed for sustained fire. I've never fired a commercial bolt gun 'til the barrel was good and hot, but it wouldn't surprise me to see bullet impacts start walking all over the place since they're not really designed for sustained fire like military rifles.

I think the best option is a semi-auto with at least one of every likely-to-fail part in a spare parts kit. Most of it would fit in a buttstock compartment that is common with most mil-type semi-autos -- firing pin, f.p. spring, trigger, other springs, mag. catch, m.c. spring, the odd pin or three, etc.

Smile

Brutus
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hawghound on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:13 pm

When thinking on the subject, I see Sam Elliot in 'We were Soldiers' when he talked about his 1911- 'by the time I have to use this, there will be plenty of those laying around'. But now the AR is a weapon you can depend on. All of the R&D is gone and it is battle proven.

I have decided on my AR w/a 6.8 SPC & 223 upper, a DPMS LR-308 w/a 243 and 308 upper, a Marlin 44 mag, and a 870 with multiple barrels. I am about to sell my last bolt except my FTR 308 rifle.

For primitive weapon season, I have a G2 contender pistol w/a 10" 44 mag barrel and just put on my ghille to do the deed. Don't need a 35 Whelen.

hawghound
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by quigleysharps4570 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:47 pm

My preference would be toward the semi-auto...but...if all mags end up lost or damaged over a period of time...one would end up with a club. Best have a bolt-action/single shot and a revolver handy too. Wink

quigleysharps4570
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by hawghound on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:18 pm

True ... it is like a Ruger 99/44 Deerfield I had - the magazines were always on back-order and only held 4 rounds. I sold it and bought a Marlin 44 mag. (10 in the tube). I also have a Ruger 44 mag revolver and my G2 44 mag.

hawghound
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sidroski on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:54 pm

AR15 with good 22 pistol to match, both threaded. Been wanting to pull the trigger on a silencer. Take a Steel 9 m.m. (yeah I love glocks) that would hold up. I have a grab and go box with 500 rounds of 5.56 and 200 rounds of 9. I know, too much 9 but the wife can shoot it and I got plenty of surplus mags and pouches.
That's my last skinny down option. Will take a 870 and a couple bandoliers of buck and bird to stash when they slow me down more than bit. Go back for them if the chance presents itself.
Kind of get out with as much as you can, get as far as you can and then start stashing gear a few hundred yards apart with local landmarks. Don't want to get ambushed getting them though.
Bugging in but planning to go also. Think I'm down to plan F right now.
But to answer your question, Auto.

sidroski
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Methos on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:53 am

semi auto, 308, m1a or FAL

semi auto because survival may include defending your spot from a mass of angry apes with guns. a bolt will hit food more precisely, but your can't eat if you are riddled with holes.

308 because it not likely to go away in the foreseeable future and is a military caliber. plus it can put down anything you are likely to come into contact with in north america - including educated primates.

m1a because they have the accuracy and proven dependability. Parts for any semi 308 are expensive and not likely to be found locally; so you're screwed either way. But the springfield is not likely to break short of an ied.

Methos
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by righttoown on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Henry survial .22 maybe te easy thing to haul and conceal.

righttoown
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by justjoe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:07 pm

My Ar10 isn't as accurate as a high end bolt and doesn't hold as much ammo as an Ar15. But with my AR10 I don't need either of those rifles. People don't drop with one round or 5.56 so I want a bigger round and I want to be more generous than one round at a time. Oh and be able to reload 20 round magazines. I really can't convince myself otherwise.

justjoe
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Beladran on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:18 pm

justjoe wrote:People don't drop with one round of 5.56 .

and this is why the military troops have &itched about the 5.56 every since it came out.

for all the arm chair comando's that say they will just do a head shot.. I will set up the mover on the Action Pistol course and lets see how many rounds you can put into the "head" of a target

Beladran

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 pm

You don't have to get a kill shot to make someone combat ineffective. In a survival senario a flesh wound may kill you.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by quigleysharps4570 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:27 am

How many folks are gonna want to come after you if they've been gut shot by that little 5.56 round? They're gonna die and in that scenario it wouldn't matter to me if it weren't pleasant or how long it took.

quigleysharps4570
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cottonmouth on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:43 am

A lot of people that say .223 isn't big enough prolly never been shot with one! LOL If it'll kill a deer it'll dang sure kill people, and with a hollow point they wouldn't stand a chance.

J.B.

cottonmouth
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutus on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:01 pm

Even a little 55 gr. pill out of an AR will frack you up worse than polio if it hits at high enough velocity.

0-150 yds. is where the .223 wreaks havoc with the human body.

2 cents

Brutus
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sand_man on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:55 pm

Any rifle requires practice. Hit a man just right with a 22 and he'll be out of the fight!

sand_man
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:00 pm

Most everyone will be out of the fight if hit anywhere.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by justjoe on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:22 pm

I have seen people get hit with 5.56 personally. Of course shot placement is key but our ball ammo doesn't do the trick. My self defense ar15 mags are loaded with hornaday ballistic tips and green tips alternated every other round. If I'm shooting someone the hornadays should be most effective. If I'm shooting glass or a car the green tips should penetrate. As far as head shots are concerned good luck when they are moving and using cover oh and by the way shooting back. A fire fight is alot harder than you may think. I still use .308. Just ask yourself if you faced someone in combat what kind of weapon you would want them to have. The last thing I want them to have is a magazine feed high caliber rifle that can place sustained well aimed shots. Therefore that is what I want to have. Aside from a high casualty producing weapon such as a machine gun or rocket or something that most people won't reasonably own.

justjoe
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by EGB on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:48 am

AR-15 223. ammo and mags are plentiful. spare parts are everywhere. and its easy to work on. Dont have to be a gunsmith to fix it. But i dont think it makes a whole lot of difference. If youre defending against more than 2 or 3. Best thing to do is beat feet. But also need to be prepared to pick up whatever you find if necessary.

EGB
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Caleb C on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Ruger M77 in 223 with the barrel cut down to 16”. It’s light. Ammo is easy to come by. You’ll never need any spare parts so there’s no reason to carry any.

A 10/22 and several thousand rounds of ammo would be handy as well.

Caleb C
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Brutus on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Caleb C wrote:Ruger M77 in 223 with the barrel cut down to 16”. It’s light. Ammo is easy to come by. You’ll never need any spare parts so there’s no reason to carry any.

A 10/22 and several thousand rounds of ammo would be handy as well.
The main problem I'd have with a standard commercial bolt-action as a battle rifle is that it's too slow to reload, depending on what brand of course. Savage makes some detachable mag models, but not sure about others.

What would be the cat's behind is if Ruger would come out with a compact model of their small caliber rifles (like .223) that used the 10 round Mini-14 mag.

That would friggin' rock.

Cool

Brutus
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:06 am

Mossberg has the MVP that takes AR mags. Not sure about the quality, but in my mind mossberg was onto something that is one of the biggest problems with the Ruger Scout rifle....mag availability! Why pay $30+(guessing) for Ruger mags when you can still find AR mags for <$10?? Not sure about the price on ar10/other .308 type mags, but it seems to me like a bolt gun that accepted commonly available .308 mags would be very very popular.

One thing about the MVP though is it is not intended as a battlerifle, with it's 24" barrel

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Caleb C on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:27 am

May be I'm weird but I dislike the mag fed rifles for a "doomsday" situation. The ability to top load one or two rounds at a time makes for a much faster reload than loading mags and then loading the weapon. I'd hate to be caught in a situation where all I had was a bunch of empty mags laying around. You'd need to be very conservative with your ammo anyway. No body will be there to resupply you in the field. Pick a shot or two. Make them count then slip back into the woods.

Caleb C
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by EGB on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:02 am

I agre with your logic all except one thing. The part about it basically being unbreakable. Eveything can break. I'd bet if you did a side by side torture test. The ruger 77 would break before an ar15 would. But I definitely agree with the rest.

EGB
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lt.Dan on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:00 am

Beladran wrote:
justjoe wrote:People don't drop with one round of 5.56 .

and this is why the military troops have &itched about the 5.56 every since it came out.

for all the arm chair comando's that say they will just do a head shot.. I will set up the mover on the Action Pistol course and lets see how many rounds you can put into the "head" of a target

Wanna bet? My multiple tours in the sand box would beg to differ haha. But like it was stated the ball ammo sucks. If you could have some good ammo this is a perfectly good caliber. I'm not saying head shots are easy by no means, maybe 1 in 20 you will get one on the first shot. The round causes a huge cavity which in turn makes things drop, and with the low recoil and great follow up shot capability when they are dropping the second round is usually going a little higher.

But for the question I would say have one of both. But make sure they take the same ammo. I am all about keeping a low number of calibers around. I don't have all these crazy guns and calibers around the house, I keep the common ones with common firearms for the availability reason. How many people do you think have an AR in .223 or .308? A ton. How many people have a Ruger in 44 mag? Not near as many. If this situation actually does ever happen I will be all for picking up discarded weapons that people dropped either because they were out of ammo or just dead, and they way people shoot when they are scared they will run out of ammo quick. Just my thoughts on it.

Lt.Dan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum