Sipsey Wilderness Area, Alabama

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sipsey Wilderness Area, Alabama

Post by ckdeaton on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:41 pm

A buddy and I are planning a 3 day, 2 night hiking/camping trip to the Sipsey in mid-March. I was wondering if anyone on MSGO has been hiking/camping there in the past.

ckdeaton
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Sipsey Wilderness Area, Alabama

Post by tha1000 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:19 am

No, but keep us posted on how it goes.. My wife and I are looking to broaden our horizons beyond the tuxachanee trail!

tha1000
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by btr568 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:25 pm

#well I hate to admit it,but,yup I been there a coupla times.It's VERY hilly,some places it's purdy steep even.I found it by accident while hunting BankHead.Kinda freaked a few hikers out,meeting a guy dressed head to toe in camo and totin a 7Mag,lol
#The trails are in good shape.Take a good flashlite with you in case your on the trails after DARK,there are some deep drop offs if you stray off the beaten path,a good GPS would be a good idea also.Someplaces your cell phone will work,some not.During a normal wet year the waterfalls are great,the water is good to drink.If you ever go during the winter be advised it WILL be COLD!#Do bring a camera,there is plenty of photo-ops there.
#Bring extra shorts/shirts during the summer,it's hot in them woods.(what can I say,I just had to get under a waterfall a few times just for the fun of it thumbs up )

btr568
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jdphotoguy on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks for posting the question about this area. I'm new to the south, yep Yankee and I would have never known about this place. Googled some images of the area and WOW definitely gorgeous. Now if I can just find a model willing to hike to some of the water falls, we could get some fantastic images.

jdphotoguy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ckdeaton on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:57 am

tha1000: I'll have pictures to post and a trip report when we return.

btr568: Thanks for the info. The loop we're going to do is relatively easy. I won't be carrying a 7mag but I will have some form of firearm as well as my trusty old wrist rocket.

jdphotoguy: Good luck finding a model to hike the Sipsey with you. However if you do, I suggest going there by yourself first so you can find all the waterfalls. That way when you take her, you can seal the deal with some breathtaking views.

ckdeaton
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by csa 357 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:44 pm

been there a few times its a nice place but the hunting is not realy that good alot of wild hogs there

csa 357
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ckdeaton on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:32 am

Hunting is not on our agenda. We're going to hike and camp, maybe try to snag some fish out of the river.

ckdeaton
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jdphotoguy on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:41 am

ckdeaton wrote:jdphotoguy: Good luck finding a model to hike the Sipsey with you. However if you do, I suggest going there by yourself first so you can find all the waterfalls. That way when you take her, you can seal the deal with some breathtaking views.
My plan exactly. Going to get a decent GPS so as I'm hiking around the area and find gorgeous locations for a shoot I can mark them as way points.

jdphotoguy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by csa 357 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:06 pm

its about a hr from me, it is realy pretty lots of water falls and trails i think im too old to try it in the summer time, just about kills me in the cool mnths
no

csa 357
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top