Pepper spray defense...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pepper spray defense...

Post by Kevin346 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:22 am

I just wanted to get some opinions on this matter. Even though I have a CCW and carry often, I am trying to find methods to end a possible altercation before resorting to deadly force. Of course I know to stay out of "bad areas" and that deadly force is only used once all efforts to escape or end the threat by any other means is either exhausted or not possible.

So what's do you guys think about the use of pepper spray for self defense when faced with possible violence, but not to the point of deadly force? If you carry pepper spray, what brand do you carry? Also, at what point should pepper spray be used?

Thanks for any advice. Stay safe.

Kevin346
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Pepper spray defense...

Post by jakeg823 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:49 am

I bought myself and my fiancé Kimber Pepperblasters back while we were both in school. Mine has since been retired to a drawer but I need to let her take it out and try it to get a feel for how it works....at least for another few months until she turns 21 and gets her permit

The Pepperblaster is made by a Swiss company, and distributed by Kimber. From the videos I've seen it seems to be pretty hardcore. No blowback from wind, the model we got has sights and it has a nice mushroom cloud effect that should ideally engulf the BGs face going around glasses and all. Also if has 2 shots.

Pepperblaster.com will get you more direct info.
And here is my thread on it from when I got it:
http://www.msgunowners.com/t12323-got-the-fiance-a-kimber?highlight=Got+my+fiancé+a+Kimber

I see no reason not to carry pepper spray if you have room for it. It's a good option to have, because deadly force is not always needed, but in my mind if drawing my pistol isn't deterrent enough then deadly force is definitely justified. The Pepperblaster isn't very bulky, and just looks like a cell phone in your pocket. I rarely have the extra room for it too though, between keys, extra mag(s), knife, phone, flashlight, and whatever else I can fit in my front two pockets(can't stand anything but my wallet being in my back pockets).

Another benefit is that most places where a firearm might be prohibited, pepper spray is ok. It's such a common thing now, especially with women, it really goes unnoticed.

The point that justifies pepper spray is much like the point of using a knife or gun for deadly force to me.....it's hard to define, but you'll know it when it's time. I'd say pepper spray if you've got an aggravated dog, or say you're in NOLA(I saw your other thread so I know you're a big fan!), and a bum off the street comes up begging you for money and just won't go on, you might not see a weapon but you feel threatened because he's getting agitated, whatever, you fill in the blank here, so you spray him instead of shooting him. He has a few hours of extreme discomfort instead of an extra hole to breathe from, and you go home with clean hands and a clean conscience......sounds like a win-win to me.

When I carry my Pepperblaster I keep it in my front left pocket because my pistol is on my right hip, this gives me access to both, because if I were to have to use the Pepperblaster I'd still be drawing my pistol in case the Pepperblaster didnt stop the threat. Or on the off chance I didn't have my pistol, but had my knife then I'd pull it(def not my first choice though!)

Good luck with your search.

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:03 am

pepper spray....better than nothing...but not always effective...I'd have plan B handi....really handy...like they say...use your pistol to fight your way to the rifle...well pepper spray is what u use to fight your way to the pistola.....

just like a firearm...u should be trained in its use...Rangemaster in Memphis has a class to train u in pepper spray use.

Plus you need to keep your spray "fresh"

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by savageshooter on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:56 pm

whats worse than peper spray, hornet killer. the stuff will shoot 20 feet and in the face will garontee a trip to the hospital.

savageshooter
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Pb blaster is probably as bad as the hornet spray, it burns just getting it on your skin. That or a can of brake cleaner is usually close by in the car or truck.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by senilking on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Old thread, but I was wondering, what will courts say if you end up using a pistol when you had pepper spray available? Would they be more likely to consider it excessive since you could have used the pepper spray and many people seem to think "pepper spray works everytime, instantly, and it's almost impossible to miss, even at 10 ft." I mean, if a guy is yelling at you and reaches into his pocket like he's going for a gun, and you shoot him. And come to find out he didn't have a gun, will they call it excessive force?

senilking
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:50 pm

Pepper spray is for the guy trying to beat your @$$ for looking at his girl the wrong way, not the guy who might be pulling a gun on you.....just my opinion. If he's sticking his hand in his pocket and yelling "I've got something for you" or "I'm gonna kill you" then no it's definitely not excessive force.

We've all seen the videos on YouTube of coke and meth-heads in a rage getting beat senseless and still coming....pepper spray won't help you there. If you haven't seen one then I suggest you take a look....it'll open your eyes a bit.

It's just another line of defense, much like locks on your house doors and windows, or a security system. Once BG breaks through that line of defense the game has to change in one way or the other.

I wouldn't read too much into stuff like this. It's not something you want to over think and then begin doubting yourself over

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by senilking on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Oh, most of the time, gun first, pepper spray if I have time to before shooting them. I just wonder if someone went on a holy crusade against a gun owner, could having pepper spray as an alternative be used against you?

senilking
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Beladran on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:48 pm

They make a foaming pepper gel.... Now that stuff will put you in the hurt locker fast

Beladran

http://Junikerjewelry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sidroski on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:10 am

Beladran wrote:They make a foaming pepper gel.... Now that stuff will put you in the hurt locker fast
Where is a good place to buy it. Daughter needs some. Me too truth be told. Used to would take a punch over cost of shooting some fool but I am too old to carry an a$$ whooping now days.

sidroski
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by newto228 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 am

Online would probably be your best bet.

I have also been tossing around the idea of bear mace and pepper spray for certain potential situations and think I may pick up a can of bear mace for the house.

newto228
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sidroski on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:02 am

newto228 wrote:Online would probably be your best bet.
Bear mace sounds good. Seen a lot of people buying it online and it be out of date when it got to them. Used to could buy it through security at work but they stopped that. I try to get the wife a new can every year and just test the old stuff on the dog (JK).

sidroski
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top