22 Mag Semi-auto rifle recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down

22 Mag Semi-auto rifle recommendations

Post by Southbreeze on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 am

Hey guys,

My Dad is on a 22 mag kick here lately, he's upgraded his Rossi 22mag revolver to one of the Kel-tec PMR30's (which, by the way, if a f'ing hoot to shoot; 30 rounds in a clip....come on!). Now he's wanting a semi-auto rifle to go with 'em.

I have no experience here, is the Ruger 10/22mag or Magnum research knock off the way to go? Or has someone got a good performing rifle that they'd recommend?

Any of your experience is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Breeze

Last edited by Southbreeze on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : oops!)

Southbreeze
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: 22 Mag Semi-auto rifle recommendations

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:02 am

I only know of a few current production 22 wmr rifles; Magnum Research, Volquartsen and Remington 597. The magnum research is the way I would go. Parts availabilty, dependability and configuration options are some of the reasons why.

Back to top Go down

Post by 45flattop on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:02 pm

I think but you should check on Ruger's web site but the 10/22
.22 Magnum model is not longer made so the Magnum Research
is likely your best option if you want the 10/22 plaatform.
You could look around for a used one though, put a WTB ad
and see what shows up but as with any used gun, your results
may vary widely.

45flattop
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by arnygollott3 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Excel Arms does them too...
http://www.excelarms.com/rifles/mr22.html

...and there is a 'rumor' that Kel Tec is developing a carbine based on their pistol that might have magazine interchangablity. Edited to add a link...maybe it is in production already...?

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/carbine-rmr30-magnum-semi-auto-stock-black-finish-p-36116.html

http://www.defensereview.com/kel-tec-pmr-30-pistol-and-rmr-30-carbine-30-round-22-magnum-22wmr-tactical-techno-guns-that-are-cheap-to-operate/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/10/18/rmr-30-prototype/

arnygollott3
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Southbreeze on Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:45 am

Guys,

Thanks for the info.

I didn't even know that kel-tec was releasing a carbine version. I'll have to get him on a wait list. According to American Rifleman website, they're about to make a shipment out to the dealers next month.

Cheers,
Breeze

I dumped a couple clips outta his last month and it is a good little shooter.

[img][/img]

yes, he's a type I diabetic if you are wondering about the syringes on the counter! gun2

Southbreeze
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 9'd up on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Southbreeze wrote:Guys,

yes, he's a type I diabetic if you are wondering about the syringes on the counter! gun2

oh that's good we all thought it was heroin thumbs up

How did you like the PMR? I have seriously been thinking about gettin one recently and I am just glad I didn't find one at the gun show or I would have had to buy it.

I know you said it's a good shooter but I would appreciate a little further insight before I buy one since it will most surely be an online purchase without ever handling one.

thanks in advance

9'd up
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Southbreeze on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:35 am

Unfortunately, that's all i had time to do. He was in the hospital with some kind of funky arsed pneumonia thing for 13 days or so, this time home. Near the end of the stay, as he was much better, I took a morning off from Hospital duty and fired up the grill to cook for the hospital staff on the 5th floor that had been taking care of him.

Sooooooo, short story long; while I was cooking I stepped out from the kitchen and ran two mags through it. Total of a 50rnd box. First rounds out of the gun and didn't have any issues.

It's made me think seriously about getting one myself. I think it's a good compromise between my P22 and a FN 5.7 (I was considering for the extra power and range in an easy to carry package.) I'm covered for crackheads in the city, now I look at what I can wear out here on the farm and have reasonable chance of hitting a fox or yote at 75-100yds from the tractor or 4 wheeler when doing the farm chores.

I've been back at work in Houston for a week now and can't get to the thing to give you any more detail on the PMR.

Breeze

Southbreeze
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 9'd up on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 am

Well if that was the first 100 shots and you didn't have any problems it should be a good gun. You say its accurate out to 75-100 for a fox? You are making me want to order one...Plus you have the carbine, which I may end up waiting for, however long that may, simply to get the extra energy and of course accuracy from the longer barrel

9'd up
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Southbreeze on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:39 am

Hold up now...no putting words in my mouth! I put enough of those in that don't fit by myself Smile

If a yote popped out of the bushes on me at 75-100 yards, I'd feel reasonably confident of putting a couple in him before he got out of range.

Now, before anyone starts anything, I shoot longer ranges with my P22 regular to be able to hit hop up foxes/yotes when surprised. My longest confirmed kill with the P22 is 62yds on a red fox, meaning dead right there...not running off dragging a leg. But I've heard the thump of contact/entry at 85-90yds before, which is easy when suppressed.
Breeze

Southbreeze
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 9'd up on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 am

Haha well I have been researching a good bit today in my breaks and I may have decided a bullpup may instead be my next focus. I am interested in 22 mag, but I just feel I may be better served by a longer barrel to get the full potential energy of the magnum.

Now to get off topic I have been looking but with no luck on finding a magnum bullpup conversion for either the magnum research or the volquartsen, so I may actually end up with a new LR to suit my needs. There are plenty of bullpups for 10/22 and plus the LR suppresses better, which is nice for playing with.

9'd up
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Southbreeze on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:26 pm

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised noone makes a 22 mag upper....it'd fit in the mag well?

Southbreeze
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbat on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Southbreeze wrote:Now that you mention it, I'm surprised noone makes a 22 mag upper....it'd fit in the mag well?

Nordic was working on one a few years ago,a guy on AR15.com was doing prototype testing on it, but Nordic dropped it because it was going to cost way to much and there's not enough interest in the 22mag to justify the expense of designing a new bolt and magazines.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  Mark Twain

bubbat

Back to top Go down

Post by lazi on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:24 pm

was really interested in the pmr30 but since find out about the rifle I'm a little more interested in that. would be cool to have both...

lazi
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 9'd up on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:06 am

Here's something I think everybody in this thread will appreciate:
http://ruger1022receiver.3dcartstores.com/Kit-22-WMR-MAGNUM-Receiver-Anodized-Black-_p_41.html

You can build your own magnum 10/22

9'd up
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top