Greek .30-06 Ammo from CMP?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Greek .30-06 Ammo from CMP?

Post by inthe10ring on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:11 am

I've read various posts and heard several opinions about the Greek ammo from CMP. I was looking at buying some (it's costs about half as much as any other rounds I've found), but I'm getting a little concerned about the quality of it, based on the variety of posts. I plan to shoot it in my re-chambered 30-06 Mauser. I've shot tons of commerically available hunting rounds through the rifle. It seems to be OK with different bullet weights (not very choosy).

Big question: Is the Greek ammo safe to shoot?

Specifically, I was looking at these rounds:

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=4C3006X000-200P&item=&sfv=&cat=AMC&desc=&udc=&mct=&vndr=&ba=&pmin=&pmax=¬e1=¬e2=¬e3=¬e4=¬e5=&max=100#

Seems like some folks complain about the powder loads varying (some casings packed full, some not full) from round to round. Sounds like it would be wise to weigh the rounds, if not for safety reasons, at least for consistent on the range. Correct?

Also, some of the advertisements say "THIS AMMO ATTRACTS A MAGNET." What does that mean to me? Are we saying the casings are steel? the bullets...? etc.?

Sorry for all the questions...any opinions?

inthe10ring
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Greek .30-06 Ammo from CMP?

Post by captain-03 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:03 pm

I have probably shot close to 2K rounds during the past 4 years. Not single FTF ... Some lots are better than others for accuracy. They seem to be just a tad "hotter" than the Lake City M2 ammo; however, they are supposed to be loaded to M2 specs ... I do consider them a SAFE Garand load.

For about 50cnts a pop - can not beat the price. The brass makes excellent reloading brass -- I like it much better than Lake City for reloading. They put the "ammo attracts a magnet" clause in there for the CA boys who can not shoot steel core or steel jackets due to fire control issues. It is my understanding they have a steel jacket with copper ... Shoots fine!!

Last edited by captain-03 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

"Then, Sir, we shall give them the bayonet" Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey67 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 pm

What the Captain said! I've fired several thousand rounds of HXP with nary a problem.

mikey67
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by M1GarandFan on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:54 pm

I've never had a problem with the Greek stuff in my M1 Garand, 1903A3, 1903, or 1917. It does seem to be a "hotter" round than the other ammo, but it shoots fine for me plus (like Captain said) the brass is excellent for reloading.

M1GarandFan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by inthe10ring on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

inthe10ring
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by shoeshooter on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:38 pm

I think any accuracy complaints may be due to the fact that all they are shipping now is mixed lots. If you take a few minutes and sort it by headstamp date it should help a lot. Can't beat it for the price.

shoeshooter
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scharfschütze on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:17 pm

Ditto: sort by headstamp if you're looking for accuracy / consistency but it's safe, just not the best as far as accuracy is concerned (IMHO)

Scharfschütze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Location: In the SW part of the "Land Mass" between Louisiana and Alabama

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Bowser on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Some lots are better than others.

Doug

Doug Bowser
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:56 pm

With any milsurp ammo.... you should inspect EACH rounds before using. Chamber checking is even better, but time consuming.

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by inthe10ring on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:29 am

SubGunFan wrote:With any milsurp ammo.... you should inspect EACH rounds before using. Chamber checking is even better, but time consuming.

Does "chamber checking" mean to chamber the round?

inthe10ring
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:43 am

Dropping the round in the chamber, but not closing the bolt. Looking to see if round drops in all the way and slides out freely.

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by inthe10ring on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:48 pm

I keep looking on their website, but what does it take to prove my CITIZENSHIP to the CMP? Passport? Birth Certificate? DL?

Also, I assume that when MRPC sends out the 2012 membership badges, a copy of that badge will suffice for CMP's "membership" requirement. Am I correct?

inthe10ring
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dhollis51 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:55 pm

I sent a copy of my Drivers license, firearms permit, MRPC badge, and I think a copy of my birth certificate but cant remember the birth certificate.

go ahead and get you a Garand while you are ordering the ammo Smile

dhollis51
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by inthe10ring on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:06 pm

dhollis51 wrote:...go ahead and get you a Garand while you are ordering the ammo Smile

I like the way you think! Smile

Thanks.

inthe10ring
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scharfschütze on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:07 pm

inthe10ring wrote:I keep looking on their website, but what does it take to prove my CITIZENSHIP to the CMP? Passport? Birth Certificate? DL?

Also, I assume that when MRPC sends out the 2012 membership badges, a copy of that badge will suffice for CMP's "membership" requirement. Am I correct?

There is a 4 page order form in the CMP catalog (page 1 is purchaser ID, including what CMP-affiliated club or organization to which you belong, page 2 is certification that you are a US citizen, not a felon, etc. This page is to be notarized. Page 3 is the order form itself. Page 4 is a checklist for your benefit before submitting the form.) I believe this is all online at their site:
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/pdfs/1orderformfillable.pdf
A club certification form if your club doesn't issue a membership card:
http://www.odcmp.com/Clubs/Forms/ClubMemberCert.pdf
Another form for proof of "marksmanship activities":
http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/Forms/Marksmanship.pdf
Hope this helps!

Scharfschütze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Location: In the SW part of the "Land Mass" between Louisiana and Alabama

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:49 pm

inthe10ring wrote:I keep looking on their website, but what does it take to prove my CITIZENSHIP to the CMP? Passport? Birth Certificate? DL?

Take a look here: http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm

All you need is Birth Cert or Passport, DL, MRPC Badge, and some proof of marksmanship -- see list provided ... If you have any question, please ask.

"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

"Then, Sir, we shall give them the bayonet" Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

captain-03

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top