Rechargeable CR123's from surefire

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rechargeable CR123's from surefire

Post by sidroski on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:58 pm

http://www.surefire.com/batteries/sf2r-kit01-charger-kit.html
Been waiting for some. All the others always said 'no flashlights. $28 for charger and batteries. Not too terribly bad. Got 3 surefires I'd use more often but the batteries were killing me. I think military gets 20% off if you know some one serving. Anybody tried them?

sidroski
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Rechargeable CR123's from surefire

Post by jbpmidas on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:48 am

Will definitely check into this!

jbpmidas
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DBChaffin on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:33 am

The runtime of these LFP 123A batteries is approximately 50% less than the runtime provided by disposable 123A lithium batteries;
That's really a bummer, not to mention they gradually lose capacity down to around 50% of what they started with (or 25% of disposible 123's) over approximately 500 charges. The price isn't terrible though.

I have had really good luck with the AA low-discharge rechargeable NiMH batteries, and they outperform the AA alkaline disposables, especially in high drain devices. I guess the 123 Lithium's are just a tall order to duplicate, but it's a shame the performance isn't at least a little better.

DBChaffin
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gtstang07 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:38 pm

I still need to check these out.

gtstang07
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by steve2112 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:50 pm

DBChaffin wrote:
The runtime of these LFP 123A batteries is approximately 50% less than the runtime provided by disposable 123A lithium batteries;
That's really a bummer, not to mention they gradually lose capacity down to around 50% of what they started with (or 25% of disposible 123's) over approximately 500 charges. The price isn't terrible though.

I have had really good luck with the AA low-discharge rechargeable NiMH batteries, and they outperform the AA alkaline disposables, especially in high drain devices. I guess the 123 Lithium's are just a tall order to duplicate, but it's a shame the performance isn't at least a little better.

Yeah, that is a no-go for me. My E1B Backup already has a short run time on the high setting. I can't imagine cutting that in half.

steve2112
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sidroski on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:51 am

steve2112 wrote:
DBChaffin wrote:

Yeah, that is a no-go for me. My E1B Backup already has a short run time on the high setting. I can't imagine cutting that in half.
I agree with all you guys. But if I can get 500 recharges out of a $6 battery and none on a $2 surefire factory, I'll buy some more rechargeable batteries. Surefire was eating my behind and the other rechargeable batteries said in bold "Not For Flashlights". I'll get one and try it. Most I'll lose is the cost of a sleeve of surefire batteries that only last 20 minutes anyway. If they work and I can swap them out with spares (after half the time of the one use batteries, I can put them in the pocket to recharge instead of tossing them), I'll retire them after about 250 recharges. Long run, with the advancements in batteries, they will become better. I'll let you know good or bad. Not worried about looking bad with a bad product, I was born looking bad (don't tell my mother).

sidroski
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve2112 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:59 am

sidroski wrote:
I agree with all you guys. But if I can get 500 recharges out of a $6 battery and none on a $2 surefire factory, I'll buy some more rechargeable batteries. Surefire was eating my behind and the other rechargeable batteries said in bold "Not For Flashlights". I'll get one and try it. Most I'll lose is the cost of a sleeve of surefire batteries that only last 20 minutes anyway. If they work and I can swap them out with spares (after half the time of the one use batteries, I can put them in the pocket to recharge instead of tossing them), I'll retire them after about 250 recharges. Long run, with the advancements in batteries, they will become better. I'll let you know good or bad. Not worried about looking bad with a bad product, I was born looking bad (don't tell my mother).

My problem is that I carry a Surefire E1B Backup as my EDC. It is a great light, pushing around 110 lumens from a single CR123. The problem is that runtime on high is about 1.5-2 hours. Cutting that in half makes it almost unusable. If you want to save some money, check out batteryjunction.com. I have bought from them in the past, and they are pretty good. They have several brands of CR123s, and the Panasonics and Duracells are good brands.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/pri-cr123a.html

steve2112
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sidroski on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:42 pm

steve2112 wrote:My problem is that I carry a Surefire E1B Backup as my EDC. It is a great light, pushing around 110 lumens from a single CR123. The problem is that runtime on high is about 1.5-2 hours. Cutting that in half makes it almost unusable. If you want to save some money, check out batteryjunction.com. I have bought from them in the past, and they are pretty good. They have several brands of CR123s, and the Panasonics and Duracells are good brands.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/pri-cr123a.html

WARNING: We do not recommend this setup for any SureFire flashlights, or other brands of incandescent (halogen, kyrton, xenon, etc) flashlights

Steve, just browsing I'm getting a lot of this. I will dig deeper. Kind of afraid of what I put in $100 flashlights with the heat the batteries would be putting out trying to drive the flashlight. Did you see a specific model of charger and battery rated for flashlights?
Thanks

sidroski
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by steve2112 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 pm

sidroski wrote:

WARNING: We do not recommend this setup for any SureFire flashlights, or other brands of incandescent (halogen, kyrton, xenon, etc) flashlights

Steve, just browsing I'm getting a lot of this. I will dig deeper. Kind of afraid of what I put in $100 flashlights with the heat the batteries would be putting out trying to drive the flashlight. Did you see a specific model of charger and battery rated for flashlights?
Thanks

That's the other reason I have never used them in any of my Surfires. I found some rechargeable CR123s a while back, but after some searches, I found Surefire and others did not recommend using them. These new model rechargeables may be better. From reading the description of these new models, it seems they will work with LED models, but not the incandescent bulbs. If you can live with the reduced output and you have LED lights, these may be good for you. If you have any other type of bulbs, I wouldn't bother with them.

As for the Panasonic models I posted about from Battery Junction, I can vouch for them. I have never had a problem with them, and they are cheaper than Surefire branded batteries. When ordering off-brand batteries, though, just make sure the mah rating is the same on the other models.

steve2112
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sidroski on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks for the info Steve. They give discounts for larger orders if you want to go in on. PM me if you do.

sidroski
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinBrandon on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:06 am

I use rechargeable CR123's by Tenergy in my LED O-light. I've been pleased overall. The only downside is there is no warning when it is almost dead... the light just goes out.

Otherwise I'm pleased. Generally go several weeks between battery changes.

CinBrandon
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by fgials on Wed May 09, 2012 8:23 pm

AW 16340's.

Chargers:
Pila IBC (must use spacers)
Intellicharge i4 (smart charger)
Nano Travel Sized Lithium charger (single battery)

fgials
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top