Looking for a light weight hunting rifle

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Looking for a light weight hunting rifle

Post by Caleb C on Fri May 11, 2012 8:11 pm

May be ya'll can help point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a bolt action hunting rifle in 308 Win that weighs less than or equal to 6.25 pounds. I'd like something with a synthetic stock, stainless barrel and action, NON integrated scope bases, and sub moa accuracy. I know. I know. I'm looking for a unicorn. I don't mind paying a premium for this rifle. I plan to keep it for a long time if it works. I don't want to spend "custom" money though. Full custom rifles are just a little out of my reach. Below you'll see my short list. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Kimber 84 Montana: I LOVE this rifle but the action seems a little sloppy for a $1k+ rifle. There are also a lot of reviews that read like horror stories. The thought of spinning the Kimber roulette wheel bothers me.

2. Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter: The weight is right but it's sits in a wood stock and isn't stainless. I trust the Savage actions for accuracy. It's strait up butt ugly.

3. Weatherby MKV Ultralight weight: Holy crap that thing is expensive. The barrel is a little too long. The barrel is fluted so I couldn't have it cut down to 20".

4. Tikka Lite: This thing just has too much plastic and the integrated base is a bit of a let down. The action is slick as snot on a door knob and reports of good accuracy sound great.

5. Browning A-Bolt Micro Hunter: This one has a wood stock too. The length of pull is a little short and I don't want to get scope eye. I've had A-Bolt rifles in the past and really like the action.

6. Ruger M77: I trust this action more than any of the others for durability. They're just too heavy and I don't like being forced to use proprietary rings.

Remington 700s are not on the list. I like most things about them but the extractors are pi$$ poor. True, my VTR will shoot 5 shots through one jagged hole all day long but that not enough to make me forget about the extraction problems.

What do you thing? I'm I just being too picky?

Caleb C
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for a light weight hunting rifle

Post by cdwolf on Fri May 11, 2012 11:26 pm

This would be my choice, an add a drop in trigger.
http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeLaminateCompact/models.html
Or the browning if a composite stock was available from an aftermarket source.

cdwolf
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Sat May 12, 2012 12:03 am

I like my FN PBR.it has a fluted barrel and not to heavy. GREAT extractor it is pre 64 Winchester control feed. Trigger is crisp but heavy. Stock is Hogue rubberized with aluminum pillars. I dropped mine out of my deer stand last year from 25 feet with a Burris xtr 312 and Burris rings and when I went back to camp and shot it it was still zeroed at 100. If u would like to shoot it at magnolia sometime just message me I will meet you down there.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jbpmidas on Sat May 12, 2012 1:25 am

What type of extraction problems do you have with your 700? I've never had any troubles out of any 700 I've had.

jbpmidas
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mississippigunguy on Sat May 12, 2012 1:55 am

Honestly, I don't think you are being picky at all. You are paying a good price, and you deserve what you want. I've played with all the ones you have mentioned and I'd either go with cdwolf's suggestion with the ruger or the savage 11. I helped a guy buy one and set it up for long range 500+ yard shots. It put up groupings that would be comparable to custom built rifles. already bedded nicely and the accutrigger is easy to adjust to get the pull you would want. might not be pretty, but it would get the job done and be light as well.

mississippigunguy
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Caleb C on Sat May 12, 2012 7:23 am

Those Ruger compact rifles are great but 16.5" is not quite enough barrel. I'd like to have one but it doesn't quite fit what I'm looking for.

BigDaddy, that FN is a fine rifle too. There's no doubt that it is built like a tank just like the Ruger. It's a little on the heavy side though. Those couple of extra pould are no big deal when you're in a tree but you notice every ounce when you've been walking for a couple of miles.

Regarding Rem extractors: I'm not sure I'd even call them extractors. It's just a thin metal ring that's pinned into the bolt face. I've shredded two of them on my VTR and it didn't require a lot of force to do so. Sure, I was being rough on the rifle but that's beside the point. I need a rifle that can withstand all the stupid things I may do with it.

Caleb C
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rbelote on Sat May 12, 2012 7:52 am

Get a sako or m 16 extractor installed your remington.

Rbelote

Back to top Go down

Post by Caleb C on Sat May 12, 2012 8:27 am

That a very good suggestion. If I could find a rem that was light enough I'd be willing to drop another $100 for an extractor upgrade. A lot of the rifles that Billy Tierce makes have Sako extractors. Dixie Precision can probably do it too.

Caleb C
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by live2hunt on Sat May 12, 2012 8:37 am

caleb sounds like your unicorn is a stainless model 7 remington in 308 win.......... i have one that shoots sub moa with factory loads and have NEVER had a problem with the extractor............... they dont make em anymore, but they do pop up on gunbroker quite often.............. i also have the 1st year model blue/wood model 7 308 also, and it is a shooter to.......... i would not dare let either one of mine go

live2hunt
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tek4260 on Sat May 12, 2012 10:25 am

I have had over 100 Remington 700's and have never had a problem with an extractor. What are people doing to them to have "so much trouble"?? Are they storing em under the bed in a foam case, in a house that sweats? Then firing them and beating the bolt open from all the rust in the chamber?

tek4260
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jsthntn247 on Sat May 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Just build it yourself.
Savage 16 stainless action...350
Criterion prefit sporter cut to 22 inches...300
Rifle basix trigger....100
B&C. Duramaxx stock.... 100
Talley light weight rings.... 50
Gunsmith fees to cut barrel and headspace rifle.... 75

Gun would weigh about 6lbs and would outshoot any factory rifle out there.

Or you could a tikka t3 and put a b and c medalist stock on it. http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-601/Bell-%26-Carlson-Tikka/Detail

jsthntn247
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Caleb C on Sat May 12, 2012 2:39 pm

I looked at a Kimber 84L in stainless with a wood stock in Garret's today. It weighs in at just over 6 lbs. I didn't really want a wood stock but there's just something sexy about stainless on wood. The rifle balances well and has a great trigger. The action also seemed to be tighter than the 84 Montana that i looked at. Kimber does what the call a non-interference action. The mag follower doesn't contact the bolt when the gun is empty. I guess this is supposed to make it feel smoother. It still didn't really feel all that smooth but it was still a pretty nice rifle.

jsthntn247, I had considered piecing one together but I'm not a rifle artist by any stretch of the imagination. I'd really prefer to buy something off of the shelf that's at least close to what I'm looking for.

live2hunt, I'll keep my eyes out on gunbroker for a stainless mod 7. I'd still have to have a Sako extractor installed but that could still be a good solution.

Thanks for all of the input, guys.

Caleb C
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by jagermaster on Sat May 12, 2012 5:54 pm

4. Tikka Lite: This thing just has too much plastic and the integrated base is a bit of a let down. The action is slick as snot on a door knob and reports of good accuracy sound great.

yea the mag is plastic but so what Pmags are all the rage with ar15's.
as for the integrated bases throw them in the trash and use whatever bases you want because the receiver is drilled and taped for regular bases. I used a one piece picitany rail from egw on mine.

I have the blued varmint in 308 and love it. It shoots .5 moa with hand loads and .75moa with hornady match ammo.

I looked for a long time for a factory rifle that would be right before purchasing this rifle and i could not be happier.

jagermaster
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RStewart on Sat May 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Just get one of these. no muss, no fuss. thumbs up

RStewart
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by LowLight on Sun May 13, 2012 10:00 am

+1 for the tikka t3 lite. they have a good barrel and great action. they also have a trigger that is by far better then the savage. just spend the extra money you will have on the rifle and buy and b&c stock, ecw pic rail, and hss tact bolt and bolt shrould. you will wind up with one heck of a rifle that will shoot as good as it looks.

LowLight
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Caleb C on Sun May 13, 2012 6:26 pm

GREAT suggestion about swapping out the T3 bolt handle and shroud. I didn't realize that there was anything like this on the market for the T3. I also didn't realize that the receiver was threaded for a rail mount until jagermaster mentioned it. Add a B&C stock and this rifle has it all. The end price would still be about the same as a Kimber 84 but the Tikka has a much better reputation. There's no doubt that it will be a good shooter especially when it's in a good stock. Thanks for the input, fellas. The T3 has just moved up to the top of my list.

Caleb C
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by jsthntn247 on Sun May 13, 2012 8:41 pm

I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that tikka will out shoot that kimber.

jsthntn247
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by grasshopper on Sun May 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Savage Model 16 FS or if you wanted to buy two and pick the best one get a stainless Marlin XS7 in .308. They don't have to cost an arm and leg to shoot well today. If you want a trigger upgrade, Rifle Basix has you covered for both.

grasshopper
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cdwolf on Sun May 13, 2012 10:25 pm

This thread has made me want to get a T3......ughh

cdwolf
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ftsibley on Mon May 14, 2012 9:22 am

Remington 700 TI
very light weight, i have one in 7/08 good shooter.

ftsibley
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top