Unbelievable deals up North here. (Gunshops)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unbelievable deals up North here. (Gunshops)

Post by TankerHC on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:08 am

First thing is I have been to at least 100 gun shops here in the York, PA, area down through MD into West Virginia and into Virginia. Before this I had only shopped for guns in MS, TN, Texas and Alabama. None of them would be any competition pricewise up here. I dont know how they do it, but all of these shops are mom and pops and their prices really do beat online shopping like Buds and GunsAmerica. But the thing is you might walk into a small shop, a room maybe 30 x 30, but it will be filled, top to bottom, gun to gun all the way around the store. They really have to compete here, in just a 10 mile square around the York County area, there must be 25 shops. I bought my 44 Ithaca in a small shop, (about the size of Vans but with about 10 times more guns), the owner told me that in the Fredericksburg, Va area, they have more FFL's than anywhere else in the US. Says they have 2500 FFL holders in about a 20 square mile area.

Unlike some places where the small mom and pops cant compete with the big box stores like Academy or Bass Pro, its just the opposite here. I have been into two Bass Pro's here several times, Dicks several times, and Gander mountain. Go to their gun sections, and your all alone, day or night. Got to one of the many, many mom and pops and they are packed all day, every day.

And I have yet to find at least one shop where you cant find just about anything, seems they all carry rifled, shotguns and handguns, plus at least a third I have been in carry Class III, I was in one today called Lameys, from the outside it doesnt look much bigger than a large outhouse. But step inside and once again guns to the ceiling, but you also step down into an underground shop, and right at the entrance big sign "We carry class III" and they have a lot of them. He even had a full auto Thompson for $5700. I havent seen any Class III guns at any of the shows for under 10,000.

The only place I would call expensive here is Freedom Armory right up the street. But even their prices are in line with Buds. Plus they have a nice indoor range and you can rent Machine Guns. But talking to the other dealers they all say the Freedom Arms owner isnt a Gun Guy, he's a businessman who just chose guns as his business. But I have talked to him several times, he was born and raised in McComb, MS and graduated from LSU. He's been around guns his whole life. I think there might be a little jealousy that some outsider from MS has the nicest shop and range in the area.

Only real non deals I have seen (And I might even be wrong about this on the economy) is that rack grade Garands that you can get from CMP for 500 bucks go here for 1000 and up. And some places are sort of ridiculous on their other military rifles. But everyone here seems willing to deal, seems you go to any shop, look at something, they dont even ask, they pull it out and hand it to you and if you ask whats the best price, they go to the book and thats it. I got my 1911 for $400 less than what they had it on Gunbroker as a BIN price, then he says "And I wont go one dollar less, so dont ask".

I have traveled 4000 miles in the last two weeks up here and have only seen two Pawn Shops, and they dont sell guns. Every shop is either gun pure or gun and archery.

One last note, one of my missions up here was to get a 3 Band Springfield or Enfield. Those go for a premium here, but they are everywhere. "The Armory" in Gettysburg specializes in Civil War Arms and Western Arms. Right now they are liquidating a collection of 61 Springfields, they have 60 of them, all museum quality, but at $6500 and up, thats way out of my price range. They have plenty of others but even they are $2500 and up. The Armory is really a high end shop, in fact, they have Doc Holidays revolver for sale. One shop in Harpers Ferry has about 12 1842 Harpers Ferry rifles that were left when Jackson burned the HF Armory, they were in private hands of residents of Harpers Ferry and he got them, he has them for 1200-1600 but if Jackson left them and they went to private citizens they clearly were not used in the Civil War.

TankerHC
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Unbelievable deals up North here. (Gunshops)

Post by NRA_guy on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:40 am

Interesting how much different areas are. I've poked around New England some but never found much in the way of gun shops.

Pennsylvania is home to the original "Bible and gun clingers" as I recall.

Thanks for the info.

NRA_guy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Seabee1 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:45 am

I lived in Northern Virginia for 3 years before transferring to MS recently. You're correct, the deals and selection of firearms are incredible. I pretty much filled my bucket list of guns while living here...of course you can never have too many guns. The Virginia version of MS Gunowners forum is Virginia Guntrader (http://www.vaguntrader.com). Their classified section gets over 100 rifles and pistols posted daily. I miss the selection of used guns and great deals, but don't miss the traffic!!!

Seabee1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bullet on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:56 am

Yes, that is very interesting indeed.

bullet
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Xd357 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:11 am

Man I'd go broke if I lived up there.

Xd357

Back to top Go down

Post by Seabee1 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:59 am

Thought I would be sleeping on the couch a few nights, but the wife was very understanding. I am still a member of the VA guntrader site, some really smoking deals.

Seabee1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum