Shield vs Xds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shield vs Xds

Post by profiler999 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Both in hand brand spanking new. fully loaded the xds weighs only 2oz more. otherwise same dimensions. probably will sell the shield. I like the big holes
of the 45!

profiler999
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Shield vs Xds

Post by Vermilion on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:37 am

I would shoot both before you decide on weight alone the XDS is a handful. I also like 45 over 9mm but the XDS definitely isn't something I'd want to shoot that often. I'm hoping the 7 round mag helps me otherwise I'll just sell it. The length doesn't bother me, I was mostly looking at weight difference between the XDS and my Kimber Super Carry Pro.

Vermilion
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrdnox on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:47 am

Which Shield did you get? If it's the 40 and you bought it at a decent price, I may take it off your hands on your next trip through.Smile I gave the XDS some consideration while I was getting frustrated with the lack of availability of the Shield, but finally found one. Being recoil sensitive, I was a little afraid of the XDS's recoil myself. Additionally, it'd be the only 45 I own and I'd hate to own one that I hated to shoot. I've heard a lot of good things about the XDS, however, unfortunately, good recoil management wasn't one of them. Heck, 45s are cowboy guns anyway and you cowboys ain't afraid of a little extra recoil, are you? Very Happy

Please give us your impressions of both guns when you get a chance to shoot them. I'd love to shoot both of them, but don't know anyone around here with either.

Hrdnox
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by profiler999 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 am

The Shield is a 9mm. I'm not really interested in Shooting it, just bought it on a whim. I figured I could get my money back. PS. Now after what happened in Colorado, my wife doesn't think I'm so crazy for ccw at the movie theater.

profiler999
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrdnox on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:48 am

I wouldn't be surprised if you did make a few dollars on it, that is, if you turn it over before the drought on them ends. Read on the S&W forum that some dealers are selling them for as much as $489. Hard to believe that anyone would pay that much over MSRP, but apparently some are. I think Van's here in town was asking $469 for them and that's $20 over MSRP. I know they're doggoned difficult to find around here. Van's even laughs out loud when you call asking about one. Glad I was able to find mine at $389 plus tax. My top limit was only the $399 that Academy sells them for, however it was starting to look like I needed to make another choice. I was pleased to find one when I did. Let us know how that XDS shoots.Smile

Hrdnox
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lazi on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:14 pm

pretty happy with the shield.

I held the xds and it's decent enough but in my opinion the shield feels better. the xds was pretty square while the shield seems to be a bit more rounded. even though it's a .45 acp i think the xds grip felt skinnier and squarer than the shield. the grip pattern also feels less obvious but still more functional on the shield. I did like the fiber optic sight on the xds and hope to add some to my shield at some point. price wise I just can't see what the xds offers over the shield. i try to be more practical with this type of firearm so I don't factor in caliber and round count. is what it is and does what does...

I do slightly consider grip safety over manual safety. This actually is just right on the shield for a preference of mine. I prefer SA/DA over striker fired but I prefer the simplicity shield for a ccw. The setup is just like my FNP45 though. I like the crisp trigger and feel I can go ahead and get the FNX9 that I have been wanting and still be happy with the control similarities on all of these guns. I'm happy not to deal with a spongie long trigger pull of sticker fired guns. I will use the safety the same way on all of these.

Pricewise I don't see what the xds offers over the shield that could really matter other personal preferences like XD similarities and .45 acp. I don't see the xds as filling the "only one gun household" role as well as the 9mm shield. The xds is more or a option where are the shield seems to be an answer.

I would like to add fiber optic sights or some trapezoidal sights. I'm hoping a slide barrel and magazine for $250 will let me run .40 on the same frame at some point and I think the shield would make for a nice little .22lr to compete with the Ruger sr22. don't think I am interested in the xds for any of that.

I do think I would pick the xds over the shield if I was ready invested in .45 acp and was looking for something smaller to carry. Also if I owned any other XD models and wanted to stick to the platform.

lazi
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cloey123 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 pm

"I think the shield would make for a nice little .22lr to compete with the Ruger sr22."

Have you read or heard of any possibility of them releasing a .22lr kit for the shield?

cloey123
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lazi on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:08 pm

nope just wishful thinking... they gonna need to get the regular 9mm and .40 on the shelves on a regular basis fisrt I think.

lazi
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 375H&HGuy on Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:59 am

I bought an XDS 45acp about a week ago and have put about 350 rounds through it so far. My impressions are all positive.

Recoil: I like 45 to begin with and shoot a 1911 quite a bit so I am used to 45acp recoil. Going in, I expected the recoil to be a bear. It isn't bad at all. If you shoot a 45, you shouldn't have a problem with the XDS's recoil.

Accuracy: This was a real eye opener. This little gun is accurate. At self defense ranges it will stack those big 230 grain slugs if I do my part. The pistol I have is just plain accurate, and it likes ball and my 200 grain semi wadcutter handloads equally.

Carry: I have a CCW so I am OK for carry. I carried the XDS under my tucked in polo with jeans all day last Saturday and it was basically invisible. I'm not a really big guy either. I'm tall and slim and concealing most handguns is difficult for me. This one just works.

I did look at the Shield, and I may end up getting one of these as well. They seem like a high quality pistol as well. It was the 45 acp that really drew me to the XDS. By the way, this was my first Springfield pistol.

375H&HGuy

Back to top Go down

Post by sgtsmith on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:25 am

I have a CCW and I carry my XDs daily. I purchased a Crossbreed Mini tuck to give my XDs a comfortable home. I absolutly love my CCW setup. I am a Springfield guy and I started out with a Springfield 5in Tactical chambered in 40 S&W about 6 years ago. I thought initially the XDs would be a bit much to handle. I have smaller hands so it is a perfect fit. I can tell you if you lip wrist this pistol (others) you could have a FTFire issue. I have had no issues to report (200rds later). I am going to sell my 40 and will replacing it with a XDm 45 tactical in a few weeks......from this point on, 45 all day everyday!!!

sgtsmith

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top