Walmart Mossberg 930?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by James D. on Sun 9 Sep 2012 - 7:12

walmart carries a Mossberg 930 for approx. $499.... It's the Tactical 5 shot with the 18.5" barrel, enlarged charging lever, and breaching muzzle.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-autoloading-930-special-purpose-tactical-5-shot/85336

What I'm wondering is if this is a worth while purchase over the 930 SPX 8+1 that retails for like 750?

I'd be satisfied with a tube extension for this thing and probably leave it as-is. But right at 500 + taxes, is it a good deal for this thing?


I like mossberg stuff and I've been wanting a 930 for a while now simply for home protection and fun while shooting.

anyway, I know you fellas, don't feel shy about firing off your opinions!

James D.
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Posts: 321
Join date: 2010-01-05
Location: North Jackson

Back to top Go down

Re: Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by Scharfschütze on Sun 9 Sep 2012 - 8:36

Looks like a pretty good price to me, although you might find a better price on gunbroker or Bud's, but then you'd have to pay transfer fee, etc. which may negate any difference in price.
The crenalated muzzle would also double as an impact weapon.

Scharfschütze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Posts: 4403
Join date: 2009-04-20
Location: In the SW part of the "Land Mass" between Louisiana and Alabama

Back to top Go down

Re: Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by James D. on Sun 9 Sep 2012 - 9:10

I'd hope I never had to depend on the crenulated muzzle as a defensive weapon, but at least I'll feel better about the muzzle getting dirty when outdoors vs. a clean cut muzzle.

yeah, that was what I was thinking as far as the $500 tag. it seems that both the walmart pearl & flowood have them.

What I'm more curious about is if it's a better bargain than the SPX model that has a longer barrel & tube. Nordic Components sells the tube extension for $80+ shipping & they have a low-drag-follower for $19+ shipping. So that's about an extra hundred bucks I'll be throwing out there... is it still worth it after that?

James D.
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Posts: 321
Join date: 2010-01-05
Location: North Jackson

Back to top Go down

Re: Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by Scharfschütze on Sun 9 Sep 2012 - 9:35

James D. wrote:I'd hope I never had to depend on the crenulated muzzle as a defensive weapon, but at least I'll feel better about the muzzle getting dirty when outdoors vs. a clean cut muzzle.

yeah, that was what I was thinking as far as the $500 tag. it seems that both the walmart pearl & flowood have them.

What I'm more curious about is if it's a better bargain than the SPX model that has a longer barrel & tube. Nordic Components sells the tube extension for $80+ shipping & they have a low-drag-follower for $19+ shipping. So that's about an extra hundred bucks I'll be throwing out there... is it still worth it after that?
I would say yes, (1) because the price is pretty low, and (2) it is the type of SD shotgun you want.
I personally don't like semi-auto for self defense shotguns. I have never used one that didn't hiccup every once in a while. The 1100 series very rarely, usually due to being extremely fouled, (and I never did want to spend the $$ on a Benelli, which I am certain is close to 100% reliable, so please hold your fire) but they all did eventually hiccup. The slide shotguns are almost fool-proof and cost much less to purchase and accesorize. I like the 870s and Mossberg 500 and 590 series. I have owned all and currently use 870s as SD and hunting shotguns. But that's my personal preference. That's a good price and I look forward to reading a report with different loads if you get it. My local WM has one, will take a closer look myself next time I'm there.

Scharfschütze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Posts: 4403
Join date: 2009-04-20
Location: In the SW part of the "Land Mass" between Louisiana and Alabama

Back to top Go down

Re: Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by NRA_guy on Sun 9 Sep 2012 - 9:50

What does this mean, "4+1 or 7+1 Capacity"?

I know the +1 is the one in the barrel, but what's the difference between 4 and 7? (Yeah, I know: 7-4=3.)

Dose it simply vary depending upon shell length? Holds more of the shorter shells?

I have wondered before when I looked at that model shotgun.

Thanks.

NRA_guy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Posts: 4672
Join date: 2009-04-25
Age: 67
Location: Vicksburg

Back to top Go down

Re: Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by James D. on Sun 9 Sep 2012 - 10:10

Yeah, it will hold five rounds of 3" shells, and like 7 2.75 or 2.5's, leaning more towards seven 2.5's. It can be modified by changing the follower to one that isn't as long.


Yeah, I'm thinking hard about it, I'll try to set some coin aside for it in the near future. I'm interested in a side saddle for either the receiver, fore grip, or stock. Probably a bandoleer-sling too.... Set it up like my old 590 was.

James D.
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Posts: 321
Join date: 2010-01-05
Location: North Jackson

Back to top Go down

Re: Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by captain-03 on Sun 9 Sep 2012 - 10:50

Scharfschütze wrote:
James D. wrote:I'd hope I never had to depend on the crenulated muzzle as a defensive weapon, but at least I'll feel better about the muzzle getting dirty when outdoors vs. a clean cut muzzle.

yeah, that was what I was thinking as far as the $500 tag. it seems that both the walmart pearl & flowood have them.

What I'm more curious about is if it's a better bargain than the SPX model that has a longer barrel & tube. Nordic Components sells the tube extension for $80+ shipping & they have a low-drag-follower for $19+ shipping. So that's about an extra hundred bucks I'll be throwing out there... is it still worth it after that?
I would say yes, (1) because the price is pretty low, and (2) it is the type of SD shotgun you want.
I personally don't like semi-auto for self defense shotguns. I have never used one that didn't hiccup every once in a while. The 1100 series very rarely, usually due to being extremely fouled, (and I never did want to spend the $$ on a Benelli, which I am certain is close to 100% reliable, so please hold your fire) but they all did eventually hiccup. The slide shotguns are almost fool-proof and cost much less to purchase and accesorize. I like the 870s and Mossberg 500 and 590 series. I have owned all and currently use 870s as SD and hunting shotguns. But that's my personal preference. That's a good price and I look forward to reading a report with different loads if you get it. My local WM has one, will take a closer look myself next time I'm there.

I agree with ALL the above .... the price ain't bad!!

_________________
----------------------------------------
"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

"Then, Sir, we shall give them the bayonet" Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

captain-03
Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 16851
Join date: 2009-04-16
Age: 62
Location: Byram, MS

Back to top Go down

Re: Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by Scharfschütze on Sun 9 Sep 2012 - 10:53

James D. wrote:I'd hope I never had to depend on the crenulated muzzle as a defensive weapon, but at least I'll feel better about the muzzle getting dirty when outdoors vs. a clean cut muzzle.
Yeah but I see it as an advantage, if you are that close to an adversary and for whatever reason cannot fire, a thrust with that muzzle could come in handy. Just another thought.

Scharfschütze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Posts: 4403
Join date: 2009-04-20
Location: In the SW part of the "Land Mass" between Louisiana and Alabama

Back to top Go down

Re: Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by Rw on Sun 9 Sep 2012 - 11:47

I am seriously considering getting one of these myself, i was going to buy the model you are talking about and add what i want. I dont want to pay $800 or more for the spx.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Posts: 6327
Join date: 2010-03-11
Location: clinton

Back to top Go down

Re: Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by James D. on Mon 10 Sep 2012 - 3:30

Rw wrote:I am seriously considering getting one of these myself, i was going to buy the model you are talking about and add what i want. I dont want to pay $800 or more for the spx.

Ditto drinks

James D.
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Posts: 321
Join date: 2010-01-05
Location: North Jackson

Back to top Go down

Re: Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by steve2112 on Mon 10 Sep 2012 - 11:11

Cheaper than Dirt has this model for $457.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/55294

steve2112
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Posts: 851
Join date: 2011-08-16
Age: 41
Location: Clinton

Back to top Go down

Re: Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by NRA_guy on Mon 10 Sep 2012 - 22:00

James D. wrote:Yeah, it will hold five rounds of 3" shells, and like 7 2.75 or 2.5's, leaning more towards seven 2.5's. It can be modified by changing the follower to one that isn't as long.

Thanks for the explanation.

NRA_guy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Posts: 4672
Join date: 2009-04-25
Age: 67
Location: Vicksburg

Back to top Go down

Re: Walmart Mossberg 930?

Post by Rw on Mon 10 Sep 2012 - 22:05

too bad this ones so ugly.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/79800/Mossberg+930+PAT+FLANIGAN+13-SHOT

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Posts: 6327
Join date: 2010-03-11
Location: clinton

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum