K-Baffle vs. Monocore for .22 Suppressor

View previous topic View next topic Go down

K-Baffle vs. Monocore for .22 Suppressor

Post by Will_M on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:08 pm

For those who have both, what are your thoughts? Which is better? Is the ease of cleaning the monocore worth more than the better sound suppression from the k-baffles?

Will_M
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: K-Baffle vs. Monocore for .22 Suppressor

Post by EEdave86 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:01 pm

I own one of each, an AAC element (stainless steel K-baffle) and an AAC prodigy (anodized aluminum monocore). The K-baffles are noticeably quieter. My friend has an AAC pilot 2 as well. I actually shot it this morning and it sounded about the same as the element. The Pilot 2 is an anodized aluminum K baffle can.

My prodigy has disappointed me during my cleanings. It welds itself very quickly together. I believe its because of the anodizing surface. The stainless element can take several hundred shots of 22 and the baffles can be tapped out easily. The prodigy will weld itself after 100... and become a chore to take apart. I had to make myself a tool out of PTFE. Its a super light can though, and it is quiet. The prodigy and other monocores also suffer from first round pop. My element does not have first round pop at ALL.

I have also heard and compared an SWR spectre with my element. It is between the element and prodigy in terms of suppression in my ears. I mention this can separately because the SWR cans use a unique baffle. I believe it is called the omega baffle?

One negative comment on the element. The original element #1 (my can) was built to be take apart from the back and front. I had trouble with the back end cap screwing off while i was trying to unscrew the can from the gun. This was easily remedied by blue loctite. Also, the finish on that can comes off super easy... The new element 2 has a titanium tube and has the back end cap loctited from the factory, so it seems like they fixed their issues. I plan on picking an element 2 up as soon as i see one.

Just a word of common sense here, all of these cans i mention are ridiculously quiet. When i say the kbaffles are quieter, its similar to comparing someone dropping a 50 page vs a 60 page notebook. Its just enough of a sound difference that you can hear it, but you would be happy with either. I am still happy with my prodigy. It is a super easy can to grease up for some wet shooting.

EEdave86
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: K-Baffle vs. Monocore for .22 Suppressor

Post by blkout on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:12 pm

I have a SS sparrow and my friend has an element. We have shot them side by side and there is a very small sound difference between the two (both of them are super quite). My SS sparrow does have a first round pop that the element didn’t seem to have. I went with the sparrow for ease of cleaning and have been very pleased with it.
One word of warning, the 22 suppressor is the gateway drug to more. I had my SS sparrow for about two months before I paid for and filed paperwork on a 7.62 suppressor.

blkout
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top