Concealed Carry Best Choice?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Concealed Carry Best Choice?

Post by jimdurt on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm

I am scheduled to take the Enhanced training course next week and plan on using my Ruger P95 for the training.

I really like the LCP for the pocket carry option and dont think I would like to try the P95 due to the size of it. Most of my pants are not sized to hold much of a IWB option.

What handgun do most of your use as your everyday carry?

jimdurt
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Concealed Carry Best Choice?

Post by bluedog46 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:02 pm

I often open carry my colt 1911 commander. When I have a jacket on its concealled when I take it off it is not.

I have an S&W bodygaurd .380 that I carry in my weakside pocket as my back up that I also have as my concealled piece in places I know dont allow open carry.

bluedog46
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdurt on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:07 pm

bluedog46 wrote:I often open carry my colt 1911 commander.

Are we allowed to open carry in Mississippi? I was told by a gun dealer that we still have a gunslinger law on the books.

jimdurt
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by vblackwell on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:12 pm

I pocket carry the Kahr CM 9mm and love it. Check it out. http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CM9.asp

vblackwell
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mshunter7680 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:15 pm

jimdurt wrote:I am scheduled to take the Enhanced training course next week and plan on using my Ruger P95 for the training.

I really like the LCP for the pocket carry option and dont think I would like to try the P95 due to the size of it. Most of my pants are not sized to hold much of a IWB option.

What handgun do most of your use as your everyday carry?

I carried my bigger gun for about a month before I started leaving it at home. I honest to God have not left home without my lcp in 2 years. I put it in my pocket and literally forget about it. Love that gun.

Mshunter7680
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohsnapzombies on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:19 pm

I have a Glock 26 and love it but i'm debating on getting a PPS. The shield is pretty much the same gun that SW ripped off Walther. I like how the PPS feels. The G26 feels great too after i added the small pearce grip extension.

ohsnapzombies
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:26 pm

jimdurt wrote:
bluedog46 wrote:I often open carry my colt 1911 commander.

Are we allowed to open carry in Mississippi? I was told by a gun dealer that we still have a gunslinger law on the books.

He's not from mississippi. He transplanted up north somewhere.

As far as open carry in MS do a quick search and you'll find 20 or so threads here where we have argued, cussed and fought over it. There is no definite answer.

To your original question:
I rotate my carry(depending on clothing, weather and mood) between my G26, my Browning Hi-Power, a full size 1911 and a 4" 1911. All hide just fine under just a tshirt. Carry what you trust and what you shoot best with.

If the only handgun I had was a P95 then by God I'd carry the hell out of that P95 and not think twice about it.

Side notes(in case you haven't heard it before):
For the love of God, buy a quality GUN belt. It should be a double layered belt. Eaglestroker(one of our contributing members) can make you an excellent belt. If his wait time is too long for you then I'd try The Beltman(love mine). Even with a tiny pocket gun a belt is still vital because you're still looking at an extra pound of weight at the very least between gun, ammo and spare mag(s).

After a belt you need a quality holster. Again, Eaglestroker can help you. If he can't make you one then I recommend Simply Rugged Holsters and Raven Concealment Systems. Both are very versatile, well made holsters.

I personally prefer OWB right now because I've gained some weight lately sitting on my butt at a desk so my pants don't have he room they used to.

Neither IWB or OWB will ever be any realistic definition of comfortable! Ever! It's a 2 pound tumor hanging off your side....the end.

In summation:
-buy a good belt
-buy a holster made for YOUR gun, not 15 other makes and models of comparable size
-carry what you trust
-practice as much as you can afford to!

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Vick on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:31 pm

My most often carried gun is an old .38 Special O/U derringer that goes into my pocket when I put my pants on in the morning. But if my work takes me into a rough neighborhood (which it often does) I have either a .44 Special Charter Bulldog Pug or one of two .45 ACP autoloaders (1911 or Taurus Mellinium) on my right hip under a jacket or sports coat.

When I took the Enhanced course, I shot a .44 Special S&W Model 24...I didn't want the punishment of putting 100 rounds of even light loads thru the Charter in one sitting.

We DO NOT have legal open carry in Mississippi except by folks with badges.

Vick
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:33 pm

And pure opinion here, and it may be because I haven't gotten tired of carrying a decent sized gun after 3 years of it yet, but I despise the .380.

It does its job, and it does it well. It's a belly gun.

I've tried a few and I just can't hit with them at all. I shoot a 9mm better than anything and .45s are a close second. Maybe it's still the young macho bull or whatever you want to call it, but I've just not succumbed to the pocket .380 frenzy yet.

For a pocket gun I'm going to choose a 9mm or .38/.357 every single time.

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cjc1227 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 pm

I had a Ruger LC9 for a while and finally sold it to a nice gentleman here. I now carry the Springfield XDS in an old faithful holster and I like it a lot. No more shots than a revolver, but a .45 nonetheless. I just have more confidence in a .45 than a smaller gun. I plan to have a holster made for my GP100 when I pick it up. I am trying to lose some weight and need the exercise. lol

cjc1227
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cliff731 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:27 pm

Not mentioned yet, but S&W's venerable J-frame revolvers are a popular carry choice.

Cliff731
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Caleb C on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:46 am

vblackwell wrote:I pocket carry the Kahr CM 9mm and love it. Check it out. http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CM9.asp

+1

It's a lot of gun in a small light weight package for a reasonable price. Put it in a Super Tuck (or similar) holster and it will disappear. You may even forget youre wearing a gun. I love mine.

Caleb C
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by southernfire97 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:16 am

Kel-Tec PF9

southernfire97
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:23 am

S&W 642

Back to top Go down

Post by Boudreaux on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:49 am

G27 in a crossbreed supertuck @ 4 o'clock mostly.Sometimes I appendix carry the G27 in a Raven Vanguard.

Boudreaux
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:51 am

My carry is like my wife's shoes. It all depends on what I'm wearing that day and where I'm going.

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ridealong34 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:55 am

Keltec PF9 or S&W .38spl. airweight. Both are big enough for defense and light enough to not be a burden for everyday carry.

ridealong34
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarhead5811 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:05 am

Being almost always wear a polo with my shirt tucked in I cary my Glock 27 in a Desantis SuperFly in my right cargo pocket. On the rare occasion that I don't wear cargos my LCP is in a SuperFly in my hip pocket. On the even rarer occasion that I really dress down I wear my shirt untucked with my Glock 23 in a OWB serpa.

Jarhead5811
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by senilking on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 am

.357 Ruger LCR. I've carried it in my pocket a few times when I wanted something bigger IWB while working the creeks in Jackson, but usually it's my only carry gun IWB. I don't know how big your pockets are, I get to wear black Carhartt's as an engineer, and their pockets are just the right size for the LCR. Hogue Tamer grips do cause drawing to be slightly more difficult, but they sure do make the gun sweet shooting, even with full .357 Mags.

I too am too worried about .380's. I've just saw too many misfires, but the Ruger seems to have done a good job taming them. If I was looking for a small semi-auto, I'd probably go 9mm or .40. But I'm a revolver fan, especially after my last fiasco with semi-autos. Was out shooting over the break, and by the time I got to the 45, my fingers were so cold they didn't like doing anything I told them. Pulling the trigger wasn't too bad, it's a big movement with the main finger, but precise things like safeties were difficult without fumbling around a bit. A Glock would have to be my semi-auto carry if I was going that route.

senilking
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by speedyrev on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:28 am

380 is better than a belly gun. I find the bodyguard very accurate.

speedyrev
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mascott on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:59 am

Kahr cm40 for me. and I love shooting it.It goes staight in the right pocket all by itself. I used to carry the Seecamp 380 and was worried it might be not quite enough, so I went with the Kahr. It's bigger than the Seecamp but not unmanageable. +1 on the gunbelt and Eaglestroker.
scott

mascott
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 45flattop on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:41 am

Taurus Millenium Pro .45 double stack in a Bianchi Shadow 7
thumbsnap OWB if I'm wearing something that will conceal it
if not I have a nice vest with two concelment pockets that
works great. 10+1 shots better be enough of .45 or I've stumbled
into a small war.

45flattop
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stantheman1976 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:22 pm

I think most can attest to the fact that once you get your carry method down the size of what you're carrying isn't that big of a deal.

I bought a Ruger SR9c and LC9 when I got my license. I love the SR9c but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to carry it easily. So I got the LC9 also. I carry IWB @ 4 o'clock. Once I got comfortable with carry I found that the double stack SR9c carries just as easily IWB as the LC9. I often use the LC9 in pocket when I want to wear a t-shirt or don't feel like worrying about how long my shirt is to cover it.

stantheman1976
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdurt on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 pm

I guess that is right. I just need to get comfortable with carrying. I rarely tuck in my shirt so IWB should be something I could make work. Just like the idea of a pocket carry and possibly on the ankle. I have almost decided to trade in the Ruger P95 for something a little smaller but still in a 9mm. .40 and .45 cal is a little more expensive for practice and I enjoy taking all of my guns out for a walk each week if time permits.

jimdurt
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stantheman1976 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Where are you located and what would you be looking to trade the P95 for?

stantheman1976
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdurt on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:07 pm

I would be interested in something smaller frame for concealed carry. Prefer to stay in 9mm caliber.

jimdurt
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bluedog46 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:55 pm

jimdurt wrote:I would be interested in something smaller frame for concealed carry. Prefer to stay in 9mm caliber.

Dont discount the 1911 frame in 9mm or 45 acp. You can carry a spare mag and many wear them iwb fine without an issue.

Also a 45acp will stop just about anything with one shot.

bluedog46
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rigrat on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:28 pm

J-frame size revolver (S&W, Charter 44) or Keltec PF9. On the rare occasions that I pocket carry a LCP.

rigrat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by edm on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:05 pm

P3at everyday. Lots of days I have a glock 26 on too. 637 with me always.

edm
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by drmadison78 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:24 pm

My current edc is a G26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. This has been the best set up for me. I have tried PF9 and SW 642 in the pocket, but it was never comfortable, the draw was a pain, and I carry to much in my pockets to begin with to dedicate one to just a gun. Plus the wife always said it made me look "happy". Before that was a Sig 245 in a Don Hume IWB. I carried that combo for years. It was good the only thing is with a single clip is that it will tend to rotate back and forth, whereas with the two clips on the supertuck it stays put.

drmadison78
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdurt on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:55 pm

The more I listen to you all, the more I want to find a larger gun than the LCP. Plus, .380 ammo is not too cheap currently. Shot a PK380 today and not to pleased with Walther.

jimdurt
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by drmadison78 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:24 pm

jimdurt wrote: Plus, .380 ammo is not too cheap currently.

Not to mention at the height of the pocket gun craze it was even hard to find. Though watching Skyfall had me daydreaming about a Walther, what did you not like about it? I have no experience with them.

drmadison78
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdurt on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:38 pm

drmadison78 wrote:

Not to mention at the height of the pocket gun craze it was even hard to find. Though watching Skyfall had me daydreaming about a Walther, what did you not like about it? I have no experience with them.

I didnt like the magazine release. Prefer the thumb button release over the trigger guard style. Also don't like the way the safety is designed. Not alot of difference in on and off looking at the cam style from the rear of the gun. Looks like it could be a potential for wear and the hammer still slap the firing pin. The hammer can still slam down even on safe. Plus they have a recall for that very reason on select serial numbers. As far as shooting, the gun performed well. It was a fairly concealable size, but if I was to get something in the PK380 size I would opt for a 9mm or larger caliber.

jimdurt
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by chestnut on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Keltec PF9 or Glock26

chestnut
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:03 am

I'm not quite ready to ditch my 380 tcp. Sure, I carry the biggest I can, but there are many times when I can't get holstered up and there are places I go for work where I have to be able to quickly and discreetly "defang" myself because I can't carry on that property.

I've tried other pocket carry weapons like my j frames and I can do it in cargo pants, but the dress pants I have to wear to work will only conceal something like a TCP or LCP.

Would I have a 380 as my only carry? Nope.

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by patchz on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:42 am

Vick wrote:We DO NOT have legal open carry in Mississippi except by folks with badges.

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges." lol

Sorry, couldn't resist. I haz a badge, but it say RETIRED on it and I would not risk open carry.

Back to the original theme, I carry my 5" Kimber Stainless II daily in a IWB and two 8 round mags in an IWB on the opposite side. As someone said, it will never be really comfortable but I wore a gun belt with more weight on a daily basis for 22 years. To use another movie quote, "it's amazing what you can get used to".

patchz
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by wcraft84 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:26 pm

I think that the Glock 19/23 are perfect "intermediate" sized carry weapons, but I do have a bud that carries a full-sized G22 with no problems concealing at all. It's all about what you're most comfortable with and what you have put in the time and training with to be more than proficient. The reliable gun of your choice + adequate training = the best carry option for YOU. With that being said, I love my G23, and, although I do not own one yet, I do have a hankering for a CZ P07 Duty for some odd reason.

wcraft84
Full Poster
Full Poster

https://www.facebook.com/groups/382042128549465/

Back to top Go down

Post by deepsouth on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:39 pm

edm wrote:P3at everyday. Lots of days I have a glock 26 on too. 637 with me always.

KelTec P3AT. I try to carry others all the time, but this thing fits nicely in the pocket of every pair of pants, jeans and shorts I own. Dress up, dress down. It's so small, light and comfortable in the pocket that I can't get away from it. It stays in a simple Uncle Mikes #2 pocket holster. Never prints. While I'm not crazy about the firearm in general, I've found nothing else that is so easy to carry every day in every situation. For a pocket piece this baby fits the bill for me.

deepsouth
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtoyboyd on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:15 pm

I started with a Keltec P11. Then went to pocket carry with a Ruger LCP. Now I pocket carry a Diamondback DB9.

oldtoyboyd
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by glock_it86 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:40 pm

I pocket carry a 2" .38 most often

glock_it86
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt51 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:20 pm

I just picked up a Smith and Wesson M&P 40 shield to try for CCW. For me, it is exactly what I've been looking for for CCW...single stack, accurate, and yes, I even like the stupid little safety, sorry guys. Just put on a set of Tolon grips and I'm good to go after I run 4-500 rounds through it. I'll report back on that later, I'm only about half way right now. Too bad Springfield hasn't come out with an XDs in 9mm or 40, that would certainly compliment the host of XDm's that seem to have found favor in my collection.

Walt51
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by stewbaby on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Had some feeding problems with my LCP...sanded down the feed ramp and it is doing alot better but shouldn't have had to do that if Ruger had there act together. Need to get a few hundred more rounds thru it before I'm convienced it is ready for CCW.

stewbaby
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BreaksRackets on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:55 pm

vblackwell wrote:I pocket carry the Kahr CM 9mm and love it. Check it out. http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CM9.asp

+2 on the Kahr CM9. Pocket carry and IWB. Amazing how well it carries with a simple $10 Uncle Mike's IWB holster. Doesn't print that much on a skinny guy, either.

BreaksRackets
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by drmadison78 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:12 pm

jimdurt wrote:
drmadison78 wrote:

I didnt like the magazine release. Prefer the thumb button release over the trigger guard style. Also don't like the way the safety is designed. Not alot of difference in on and off looking at the cam style from the rear of the gun. Looks like it could be a potential for wear and the hammer still slap the firing pin. The hammer can still slam down even on safe. Plus they have a recall for that very reason on select serial numbers. As far as shooting, the gun performed well. It was a fairly concealable size, but if I was to get something in the PK380 size I would opt for a 9mm or larger caliber.

Hmm well that pretty much busts my dream, but my wife's cuz just brought a new one recently. I hope is not in that category of SN's. thanks

drmadison78
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nonnieselman on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:39 pm

ive carried a XD SubCompact 40 for about 5-6 years now, in a Supertuck deluxe.

Ive tried a LCP and didnt like it.. then a LCR and didnt like it either. so i went back to the XD..
i got to shoot a XDS and was way more comfortable with my SubCompact. So i stuck with it.

nonnieselman
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PWB on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:05 pm

I've been carrying a variety of handguns for the past 35 years...large and small frame revolvers and the same with automatics...I generally carry a S&W model 642 Airweight or a S&W model 36 or I'll carry a Glock 22...if I were in the market for a new handgun I would most likely get a Glock 36 or a used S&W model 13 or 65 with a 3" barrel.

PWB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe S. on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Works best in cold weather when you can wear a long coat but is a pretty effective threat deterrant.

Most of the time its a LCR in a pocket holster.

Joe S.
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe S. on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:03 pm

ohsnapzombies wrote:The shield is pretty much the same gun that SW ripped off Walther. .
they are tied together so id imagine they share same concepts. I prefer the PPS due to no manual safety.

Joe S.
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by vblackwell on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Joe S. wrote:Works best in cold weather when you can wear a long coat but is a pretty effective threat deterrant.

Most of the time its a LCR in a pocket holster.
big thumb up Do you call that a short barrel rifle, or a long barrel pistol? thinking

vblackwell
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by shootinlefty on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:30 am

Ruger LCR

shootinlefty
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next