Concealed Carry Best Choice?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Concealed Carry Best Choice?

Post by jimdurt on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm

I am scheduled to take the Enhanced training course next week and plan on using my Ruger P95 for the training.

I really like the LCP for the pocket carry option and dont think I would like to try the P95 due to the size of it. Most of my pants are not sized to hold much of a IWB option.

What handgun do most of your use as your everyday carry?

jimdurt
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Concealed Carry Best Choice?

Post by bluedog46 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:02 pm

I often open carry my colt 1911 commander. When I have a jacket on its concealled when I take it off it is not.

I have an S&W bodygaurd .380 that I carry in my weakside pocket as my back up that I also have as my concealled piece in places I know dont allow open carry.

bluedog46
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdurt on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:07 pm

bluedog46 wrote:I often open carry my colt 1911 commander.

Are we allowed to open carry in Mississippi? I was told by a gun dealer that we still have a gunslinger law on the books.

jimdurt
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by vblackwell on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:12 pm

I pocket carry the Kahr CM 9mm and love it. Check it out. http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CM9.asp

vblackwell
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mshunter7680 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:15 pm

jimdurt wrote:I am scheduled to take the Enhanced training course next week and plan on using my Ruger P95 for the training.

I really like the LCP for the pocket carry option and dont think I would like to try the P95 due to the size of it. Most of my pants are not sized to hold much of a IWB option.

What handgun do most of your use as your everyday carry?

I carried my bigger gun for about a month before I started leaving it at home. I honest to God have not left home without my lcp in 2 years. I put it in my pocket and literally forget about it. Love that gun.

Mshunter7680
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ohsnapzombies on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:19 pm

I have a Glock 26 and love it but i'm debating on getting a PPS. The shield is pretty much the same gun that SW ripped off Walther. I like how the PPS feels. The G26 feels great too after i added the small pearce grip extension.

ohsnapzombies
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:26 pm

jimdurt wrote:
bluedog46 wrote:I often open carry my colt 1911 commander.

Are we allowed to open carry in Mississippi? I was told by a gun dealer that we still have a gunslinger law on the books.

He's not from mississippi. He transplanted up north somewhere.

As far as open carry in MS do a quick search and you'll find 20 or so threads here where we have argued, cussed and fought over it. There is no definite answer.

To your original question:
I rotate my carry(depending on clothing, weather and mood) between my G26, my Browning Hi-Power, a full size 1911 and a 4" 1911. All hide just fine under just a tshirt. Carry what you trust and what you shoot best with.

If the only handgun I had was a P95 then by God I'd carry the hell out of that P95 and not think twice about it.

Side notes(in case you haven't heard it before):
For the love of God, buy a quality GUN belt. It should be a double layered belt. Eaglestroker(one of our contributing members) can make you an excellent belt. If his wait time is too long for you then I'd try The Beltman(love mine). Even with a tiny pocket gun a belt is still vital because you're still looking at an extra pound of weight at the very least between gun, ammo and spare mag(s).

After a belt you need a quality holster. Again, Eaglestroker can help you. If he can't make you one then I recommend Simply Rugged Holsters and Raven Concealment Systems. Both are very versatile, well made holsters.

I personally prefer OWB right now because I've gained some weight lately sitting on my butt at a desk so my pants don't have he room they used to.

Neither IWB or OWB will ever be any realistic definition of comfortable! Ever! It's a 2 pound tumor hanging off your side....the end.

In summation:
-buy a good belt
-buy a holster made for YOUR gun, not 15 other makes and models of comparable size
-carry what you trust
-practice as much as you can afford to!

Last edited by jakeg823 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Vick on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:31 pm

My most often carried gun is an old .38 Special O/U derringer that goes into my pocket when I put my pants on in the morning. But if my work takes me into a rough neighborhood (which it often does) I have either a .44 Special Charter Bulldog Pug or one of two .45 ACP autoloaders (1911 or Taurus Mellinium) on my right hip under a jacket or sports coat.

When I took the Enhanced course, I shot a .44 Special S&W Model 24...I didn't want the punishment of putting 100 rounds of even light loads thru the Charter in one sitting.

We DO NOT have legal open carry in Mississippi except by folks with badges.

Vick
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:33 pm

And pure opinion here, and it may be because I haven't gotten tired of carrying a decent sized gun after 3 years of it yet, but I despise the .380.

It does its job, and it does it well. It's a belly gun.

I've tried a few and I just can't hit with them at all. I shoot a 9mm better than anything and .45s are a close second. Maybe it's still the young macho bull or whatever you want to call it, but I've just not succumbed to the pocket .380 frenzy yet.

For a pocket gun I'm going to choose a 9mm or .38/.357 every single time.

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cjc1227 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 pm

I had a Ruger LC9 for a while and finally sold it to a nice gentleman here. I now carry the Springfield XDS in an old faithful holster and I like it a lot. No more shots than a revolver, but a .45 nonetheless. I just have more confidence in a .45 than a smaller gun. I plan to have a holster made for my GP100 when I pick it up. I am trying to lose some weight and need the exercise. lol

cjc1227
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cliff731 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:27 pm

Not mentioned yet, but S&W's venerable J-frame revolvers are a popular carry choice.

Cliff731
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Caleb C on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:46 am

vblackwell wrote:I pocket carry the Kahr CM 9mm and love it. Check it out. http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CM9.asp

+1

It's a lot of gun in a small light weight package for a reasonable price. Put it in a Super Tuck (or similar) holster and it will disappear. You may even forget youre wearing a gun. I love mine.

Caleb C
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by southernfire97 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:16 am

Kel-Tec PF9

southernfire97
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:23 am

S&W 642

Back to top Go down

Post by Boudreaux on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:49 am

G27 in a crossbreed supertuck @ 4 o'clock mostly.Sometimes I appendix carry the G27 in a Raven Vanguard.

Boudreaux
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:51 am

My carry is like my wife's shoes. It all depends on what I'm wearing that day and where I'm going.

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ridealong34 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:55 am

Keltec PF9 or S&W .38spl. airweight. Both are big enough for defense and light enough to not be a burden for everyday carry.

ridealong34
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarhead5811 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:05 am

Being almost always wear a polo with my shirt tucked in I cary my Glock 27 in a Desantis SuperFly in my right cargo pocket. On the rare occasion that I don't wear cargos my LCP is in a SuperFly in my hip pocket. On the even rarer occasion that I really dress down I wear my shirt untucked with my Glock 23 in a OWB serpa.

Jarhead5811
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by senilking on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 am

.357 Ruger LCR. I've carried it in my pocket a few times when I wanted something bigger IWB while working the creeks in Jackson, but usually it's my only carry gun IWB. I don't know how big your pockets are, I get to wear black Carhartt's as an engineer, and their pockets are just the right size for the LCR. Hogue Tamer grips do cause drawing to be slightly more difficult, but they sure do make the gun sweet shooting, even with full .357 Mags.

I too am too worried about .380's. I've just saw too many misfires, but the Ruger seems to have done a good job taming them. If I was looking for a small semi-auto, I'd probably go 9mm or .40. But I'm a revolver fan, especially after my last fiasco with semi-autos. Was out shooting over the break, and by the time I got to the 45, my fingers were so cold they didn't like doing anything I told them. Pulling the trigger wasn't too bad, it's a big movement with the main finger, but precise things like safeties were difficult without fumbling around a bit. A Glock would have to be my semi-auto carry if I was going that route.

senilking
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by speedyrev on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:28 am

380 is better than a belly gun. I find the bodyguard very accurate.

speedyrev
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top