Reloading with Xtreme Plated Bullets

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reloading with Xtreme Plated Bullets

Post by jwitcher on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:08 pm

I'm just getting into reloading and I am starting out loading 9mm and .40 with the Xtreme plated bullets. Can I use the same load data as jacketed?

jwitcher
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Reloading with Xtreme Plated Bullets

Post by critt77matt on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 pm

most say to use lead data so the plate doesn't come off

critt77matt
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpapaj on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:39 pm

I use the same load data but just cause I didn't know any better.
But haven't had any problems.

Guess I need to start worrying.

coolpapaj
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by insignia100 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 pm

As I understand it you can use the low end jacketed bullet loads.

insignia100
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:22 pm

They are somewhere in between cast and jacketed. Since most of us load for power factor we aren't anywhere near the velocities to tear off the plating. Witcher I am using 3.4gr of titegroup in the 9mm and 4.3gr of universal clays in 40. I am about to switch to vihtavouri n340 in the 40. So once I get a load worked up for that I'll post it here.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jwitcher on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:54 am

Appreciate the help.

jwitcher
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Reloader on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:18 am

In a 124 grain 9mm I use 3.6 Titegroup as this will function in Glock, H&K and Beretta.

Reloader
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by vblackwell on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:35 pm

I ordered 1000 X-Treme copper-plated 9mm 115gr RN bullets the other day to try them and see how they shot. I had heard several other people at our local range talk about how good they shoot. Other than taking several weeks to get here due to the back log of orders, I have no complaints. The bullets looked great. I had read several articals and load data that compare copper plated to jacketed, powder amounts and related things. I decided that since there are so many opinions out there about how to load them, I myself, would load them just like jacketed, since I would be under 1200 fps. 1200 fps seems to be the speed where the plating starts to tear off the bullet when its leaving the barrel from what I have read.

So, I loaded 25 test rounds using the X-Treme 9mm, 115 gr, RN bullet, over 4.2 gr of Universal Clays powder and used a Tula primer with a AOL of 1.100. This is the mid load for 115 gr RN out of the Hornady 8th Edition Manual and should give you about 1050 fps. I took these rounds to the range yesterday and shot them. Lucky for me, there was a gentleman there that had a chrono set up and let me shoot 5 rounds thru it to see what these rounds were actually doing. My 5 shot average speed was 1074 fps with a power factor of 123 out of my CZ Shodow with a 4.7 inch barrel. The recoil was very mild. Since I don't shoot USPSA and will only be shooting these bullets at steel targets and paper, Im not worried that the power factor was not higher. But I feel certain that with a little more powder, it would meet the 125 pf minimum for USPSA and still be well under 1200 fps.

I set the 8" target out at about 15 to 18 yards and tested for accuracy. They shot great and would have been more accurate if my hands were a little more steady! In all, Im very pleased with the way they shot and will be ordering another 1000 bullets from them in the next few days. I will also continue to shoot them as long as they perform like this.

Vic

vblackwell
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top