Marlin XL7 & Ruger American Comparison

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marlin XL7 & Ruger American Comparison

Post by bullet on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Purchased a Ruger American today and will be doing a comparison between it and the Marlin XL7, both in 30-06 and publish later this spring or early summer my findings.

MarLin XL7 30-06

Ruger American 30-06

bullet
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Marlin XL7 & Ruger American Comparison

Post by bullet on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:33 am

I am neutral concerning both rifles and will give them a fair going over and represent the facts. It is hard to get bug holes with a 30-06 of any kind but you can get real good to better than hunting accuracy, but I will be looking at the use of the whole system as a rifle and its over all function as a total. Any rifle has something another rifle doesn't but the rifle as an over all system as a hunting tool will be the determining factor for the final and total grade.

I bought the two rifles to run honest and fair tests using my reloading skills along with my shooting skills and using my experience of carrying rifles in the field on spot and stalk hunts all day for days at a time to determine the most suitable carry rifle between the two. I want to get a real world look for myself. I do not have a favorite to start out with and I don't care which one in the end wins and no body is paying me to do this (I bought these with my own money) - so I don't care what the manufactures think, I will draw my own conclusions.

I want to distinguish between the two rifles not only accuracy wise, but every thing from the one that likes the heavy bullets and the one that likes the lighter bullets for .308 caliber to the following: I will also consider fit and finish, function, bedding, style and looks, handling and balance and many other things. This will take time but I will lay out my plan to approach the rifles and then provide a tally sheet in the end.

I am under no delusion in reference to what I have purchased. I will say though that entry level rifles today are as accurate as the majority of custom rifles I had made in the early 80's and that says a lot. Those of us who have lived a while, hunted with, loaded for and shot guns from the past know that what we get for the buck spent today is a better value. Most entry level guns today are not trash and junk, especially when you consider what you get for the dollar spent.

I think the average guy who does not have a lot of bucks to spend can own an entry level rifle today and be proud of what he has and can kill a lot of game due to the accuracy achieved by entry level rifles. I have owned the high dollar custom rifles and high dollar factory rifles, and still own some of them, and the truth is in a hunting rifle (not bench or competition which no hunting rifle will ever be no matter how much you paid for it) there is not to much difference in the high dollar hunting rifle accuracy of today and the entry level accuracy. Both are certainly very acceptable hunting accuracy.

In fact there is not a single hunt I have been on through the years of hunting, that I could not have taken one of these two rifles and done the job pretty much the same, give or take a few circumstances. On top of that, I have the added benefit that if I fell off a ledge and landed on one of these rifles like I did with a fine custom and ruined it and the scope, I have not lost what cannot be easily replaced. Today a fancy and expensive custom or factory rifle when hunting does not give a great deal of advantage over the entry level rifles of today. If it makes a man feel like he is a better hunter because he has a rifle he can say "look at what I have" then buy the thing, but don't assume it will really make a man a better hunter or better shot.

I have lived among the hunting elite on leases costing 10,000 dollars a year as yearly guest (my friend was the president of the club) and the pressure to own the best rifle to fit in and I have discovered how much of a fool I was for buying into it and the bull all that stuff really is - so I hope the guy who does not have a lot to spend like me gains a great deal from my efforts to compare these rifles. Also, that the average guy can realizes that in these entry level rifles he can get the job done just the same as the guy with the Hot Dog Fancy Custom Rifle or Expensive Factory rifle and maybe much better, because he does not have to nurse his entry level rifle and baby it so it will keep looking good - he can actually hunt and hunt hard.

Also, I would not buy an entry level rifle for the purpose of ever tweaking it. Why, buy it for any custom work at all when it is cheaper to replace the entry level rilfe than to have most custom work done on a Rem 700 or any upper level rifle. The reason I do not want to try the Edge/Axis is their poor trigger and the Remington is not anything the Marlin XL7 is not and I get a good trigger in the Marlin and an outstanding trigger in the Ruger American. Those who buy an entry level rifle outside of falling off a ledge like I did and ruining the rifle, will more than likely not wear it out in their life time of hunting, because they do not use their hunting rifles (most don't - excluding me) for range rifles.

What is really going to be funny is if I get small consistent groups out of these two rifle from my handloads, and if so, that pretty much says it all. Now some might like to drive a BMW and I like my Chevys and Fords and guess what, we all get to where we are going, but if one feels it looks better feels better then by all means get the BMW, but whatever you do don't follow my four wheel drive pick up truck when I leave the smooth highways and head out through the dirty, muddy tough stuff and expect that nice BMW to ever look quit the same.

You get in the mountains for 6 and 7 days of humping it or threading through a swamp and think that pretty rifle will not come back looking different, it will only be because you stayed in your tent or at camp and played with your new smart phone. I am looking forward to this work and the results and at this point have no idea which one will win in the end, but my curiosity got the best of me and I am going to find out with hands on both.

Last edited by bullet on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

bullet
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:46 am

I bought an Axis...actually an Edge a couple years ago....Bought it for a truck gun...a beater for around the farm...I'm not gonna beat up one of my nice 700's doing that

Had low expectations for it being so cheap...For what it is...I'd consider it a value....Folks wanna compare these XL7's and Axis, Edges and now All American's to "real" rifles.... lol

It's not not fair...comparing apples to oranges....

long as you know up front what you getting...and the reason you got it

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bullet on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:27 am

Refer to my previous post.

Last edited by bullet on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

bullet
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by p moore on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:39 am

clap big thumb up

Can't wait for your results

Paul

p moore
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

http://pmooreknives.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:44 am

problem I have with some of these entry rifles is that it will be difficult to tweak em...later.....you buy a Rem 700 or savage action and the skies the limit...again...its not a fair comparison

First thing I did on my Edge was have a rifle basix trigger installed...

What worries me about that gun is being able to replace or upgrade the barrels due to the way they were designed...

I have custom guns done because I want em...I want something different...not off the shelf....

Aint nothing wrong with these entry models....I have several....

I'm particularly interested in what you have to say about the all American from Ruger

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bullet on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:55 am

Refer to my second post on this thread.

Last edited by bullet on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

bullet
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 am

I purchased the Edge....soon there after to be called the Axis...the trigger was pretty bad...I'm so used to a nice trigger I just had to enhance it.

Bought it like I said for a truck gun and was in hopes of burning it out on some Prairie doggies....trip never materialized...

Hurry up and tell us how good the all American is...so I can run out and buy one....in '06 lol

BTW - Though not an '06 fan...I got 5 or 6 of em Smile

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bullet on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:12 am

msredneck wrote:

Hurry up and tell us how good the all American is...so I can run out and buy one....in '06 lol

BTW - Though not an '06 fan...I got 5 or 6 of em Smile

Now see how delusional you are!!! No way a man can own 5 or 6 30-06's and not be a fan of the 30-06 whether he knows it or not, he is a fan. Funny big thumb up laughatyou lol lol

bullet
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:17 am

I love em all...want em all....that's the problem

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bullet on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Wednesday or Thursday morning will begin my load work comparison of the XLR and the American in 30-06 depending on the weather.

180gr North Fork
180gr Sierra Pro Hunter spitzer
180gr Speer Hot Core Spitzer
180gr Speer Hot Core RN
180gr Ballistic Tip

165gr North Fork
165gr Sierra HPBT
165gr Sierra SBT

220gr Sierra RN
220gr Hawk

bullet
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bullet on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:28 am

bullet
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:36 am

So how's the weather down there today ?....Man you take great pics...You making me wanna run out and buy an All American already lol

Everything getting hard to get with the current craze...I await your gun review

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bullet on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:40 am

59 degrees and raining. Sure hope it clears up a bit so tomorrow or Thursday or at least Friday morning I can begin load comparison with these two rifles.

bullet
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 am

Ms in the winter time....either freezing butt off or dodging tornado's Gotta luv it.

Have fun...its a hard job I know...but someone has to do it Smile

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bullet on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:20 am

msredneck wrote:Ms in the winter time....either freezing butt off or dodging tornado's Gotta luv it.

Have fun...its a hard job I know...but someone has to do it Smile

You know, if I did not like my hunting so much, I would not like my load development, but because I love to also shoot, it won't be work. Now if I did not like to do load work and shooting, this would all be work indeed. I will have fun. thumbs up

bullet
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:23 am

Man - Getting paid to load bullets and shoot.... where did I go wrong ? IDK

take care

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bullet on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:30 am

msredneck wrote:Man - Getting paid to load bullets and shoot.... where did I go wrong ? IDK

take care

Man, I don't get paid to do all this, every bit of this comes out of my own pocket. I am doing this because I want to not because someone asked me or wanted me to. I don't take pay for any articles I write either, because I do not want any controls over my conclusions nor any pressure to pad an article. thumbs up

bullet
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:59 am

Hurry up and tell us what you think Razz ....I got a bead on a Ruger All American...just waiting to press the trigger...

wanna know what you have to say bout em since I already have a XL7

Hopefully you out testing this am.....

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bullet on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:58 am

Not till Monday morning, my job has killed everything through this weekend.

bullet
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top