Bedding a Rifle stock

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bedding a Rifle stock

Post by vblackwell on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 pm

I have a Savage Mark II TR and Im thinking about bedding the stock. Im looking at the Devcon Plastic Steel from Midway at the moment. Ive watched several videos on bedding stocks and from what I can tell, if you have all the needed supplies, its not that hard to do. What bedding material did you use and how much more accurate was your rifle after you bedded it?

vblackwell
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Bedding a Rifle stock

Post by vblackwell on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 pm

thinking Am I the first one to attempt this?

vblackwell
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 94LEVERFAN on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Vic I have never done it, therefore I ain't much help. Gonna be watching this tho, might learn something. Bruce.

94LEVERFAN
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by vblackwell on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Well, Im going to try it in the next few weeks. I'll have to take some pics and post my progress as I go. I may wind up buying a new stock before its over, but Im gonna give it a try!
lol

vblackwell
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mhead on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Look toward to seeing it.

mhead
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Vick on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:11 pm

I've bedded many rifles using Brownell's Acraglass. Its very easy if you take your time and follow Brownell's instructions. At first I'd recommend doing a little at a time,,,bed the recoil lug and action sides, then the barrel channel, then the action tang, and finally the floorplate, for example. Many folks don't even bed the floorplate and the sides of the action...your choice. The biggest mistake that can be made is to use too little release agent on the metal...put on a coat, let it dry, then put on some more! Even then, you'll often have to give the barrel a good wack with a rubber mallet to get the metal to release from the wood. Good luck, and have fun!

Vick
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by scsonarc on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14 pm

I use Devcon to bed the action first. Are you going to pillar bed the action? I bedded the barrel channel with Acraglass gel. It is much easier to work with than regular acraglass. If you use the color dye that comes with it, be advised that a little goes a long way. Be sure to tape up the exterior of the stock where you don't want the bedding compound to go and use the release agent or you will have a one piece gun. How much of a free float are you going with?

scsonarc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by CK on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:19 pm

I have bedded all my guns. There are several ways to do it. JB weld and mothers carnuba wax is what I use. Lately I have been bolting the pillars to the action, then taping them in the stock to seat. This works better that installing pillars first for me. I have a TR that I bedded and there is not much to work with. You will have to build up the area around one of the pillars. It sure helps accuracy. I am working on a new build and might try a different material on it. Seat the action and let it cure. Pop on the barrel with a rubber hammer and it will release. GOOD LUCK!

CK
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by vblackwell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:45 am

scsonarc wrote:I use Devcon to bed the action first. Are you going to pillar bed the action? I bedded the barrel channel with Acraglass gel. It is much easier to work with than regular acraglass. If you use the color dye that comes with it, be advised that a little goes a long way. Be sure to tape up the exterior of the stock where you don't want the bedding compound to go and use the release agent or you will have a one piece gun. How much of a free float are you going with?
I want to start with pillar bedding the action and about 1 1/2 inches of the barrel first. Take out a good bit of material from the stock with the dremal and do the entire action area. This barrel is free floating all the way to the action now and I can see spots that have wear on them in the stock where the action sits. The two screws that hold the action in the gun torque up funny it seems like to. Im shooting about a 1 1/2 to 2 inch 5 shot group average now at 50 yards with flyers everywhere. Then sometimes you can cover all 5 shots with a quarter. Nothing consistent. I feel like it should be better than that at this distance with good ammo.

As for the material that Im thinking about useing, I was watching them use Devcon Steel Putty #10110 and Kiwi clear shoe polish for the release agent. Looks like this does a good job and is not as messy as the Devcon Liquid Steel. Im not really worried about the color as long as its bedded good. My stock is desert sand color with black action and barrel. I was thinking about taking a black paint pen and coloring the top side thats seen in black. Not a biggy to me at this point. I just want it to be more accurate.

vblackwell
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by scsonarc on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:47 am

I think the Devcon is heavier than the acraglass. Could add a little weight to the front end. If its a bench / bipod rifle then that wont really be an issue. Good luck. If you have any problems, pm me. I'm just down the road from ya.

scsonarc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by vblackwell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 am

scsonarc wrote:I think the Devcon is heavier than the acraglass. Could add a little weight to the front end. If its a bench / bipod rifle then that wont really be an issue. Good luck. If you have any problems, pm me. I'm just down the road from ya.
Yea, its strickly a bench gun. I shoot it off a Caldwell Rock BR. I just think it should shoot tighter than its doing. The scope mounts that are on it now is one of my problems, since I found a stripped screw on the base mount the other day. So I just ordered a set of Burris Signature Zee Rings and .020 insert for it. I was just thinking that since I have to take it apart anyway, I would do the bedding while I have it torn down. I bought it to plink with mostly but want to shoot a 100/200 benchrest F-class match with it if I can get it to shooting better. Well see. Time will tell.

vblackwell
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by grasshopper on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:25 am

I commend you on doing your own bedding job. I've always used Acraglas gel by Brownell's. The only caution I give you is be sure to use pleanty of release agent to avoid "sticking" something. Believe me the adhesives you are going to be using are meant as permanent. When they grab something they hold on like they were welded together. That is the biggest caution.

Also look at the bottom of your reciever to see if there are any areas where the bedding may go and "trap" a part. Modeling clay can fill these voids to avoid this problem. Don't forget to put release agents on all screws being used.

Good luck, I believe you will notice a big difference on group sizes.

grasshopper
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jsthntn247 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:26 am

I've bedded a bunch of rifles, it's easy to do. Devcon 10110 is good stuff, markingdepot.com has the cheapest prices on it plus free shipping. Check them out.

jsthntn247
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by vblackwell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:48 pm

As for release agent Grasshopper, all the videos Ive watched and a few articals Ive read said to use Kiwi Clear Shoe Polish. I hope it works as good for me as it did for them! Im going to order the Devcon in the next few days and start this project soon. Im going to do some more reading up on the subject and get as much info as I can about it before I do. I may go ahead and take the rifle apart and start taking out material with the dremal tool. When I do, I'll post up some pics and keep yall informed. Thanks for all the tips and if you think of anything else, let me know.

Vic

vblackwell
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by grasshopper on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:03 pm

Watch the area around the action screws, I've heard that they can get buggered up pretty good if you are not carful. I think it's the front one on the TR stock. Look at it, and if possible build it up BEFORE you do the whole action. I think the problem was that it was so thin that is was pulling out part of the wood after bedding.

Good luck! Hope to see you on the 23rd at the BR match.

grasshopper
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jsthntn247 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Kiwi natural shoe polish is the one you want. Read this thread here.
The pictures on the first page got hijacked. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1167022#Post1167022

jsthntn247
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Vick on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:34 pm

I often used Turtle Wax as a release agent if I ran out of the Acraglass release agent.

Vick
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cottondoctor on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:15 pm

I have beded a lot of rifles and repaired a lot of stocks over the years......since the mid 1970's. I have used Acraglass, progressed to Acraglass gel and have used Devcon steel filled epoxy,and aluminum filled epoxy. Years ago I settled on Marine Tex .......it is easy to work with, stays where you put it, is very hard and very minimal shrinkage. For release I generally use Brownells mold prep or release. Not Acraglass release. I have also used Pam. Tape the outside of the stock and put a little wax on the tap.

cottondoctor
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:17 pm

cottondoctor wrote:I have beded a lot of rifles and repaired a lot of stocks over the years......since the mid 1970's. I have used Acraglass, progressed to Acraglass gel and have used Devcon steel filled epoxy,and aluminum filled epoxy. Years ago I settled on Marine Tex .......it is easy to work with, stays where you put it, is very hard and very minimal shrinkage. For release I generally use Brownells mold prep or release. Not Acraglass release. I have also used Pam. Tape the outside of the stock and put a little wax on the tap.

Pc7 epoxy would work like marine tex and may be more durable and much easier to find. It is my go to stuff for numerous repairs and what not.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by vblackwell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:19 pm

Well guys, Im starting to think this might be to big of a project for me to tackle. After tearing the TR apart tonight and looking at the way this stock is made, I see that there is just not alot of stock there to work with for pillar bedding. It is all hogged out, soft laminate wood and no real way for the action to have a consistant set point with the action screws just floating around plus no way to torque them down. I feel like this is a big part of the problem with these rifles. So I did some more searching and found this http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/savage-93r17tr-proper-bedding.html After reading this, I can see that don't have the tools I need to do a projest like this myself. Not to say I couldn't do it, but it would take me forever to get it done. Plus, after seeing his results, Im not sure it will even work as a permanent fix. At this point Im not sure what Im going to do now.

vblackwell
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top