METH PRECURSORS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

METH PRECURSORS

Post by DevilDog on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:00 pm

New page on my website about meth precursors. I've handled more and more of these cases in both state and federal court in the past few years. People have found a very dangerous way to make a small amount of money. Here's what you need to know before you go buy too much sudafed for a cold at CVS:

Mississippi Meth Precursor Laws

STANDARD DISCLAIMER:
This is not legal advice. You have to pay for legal advice. This is general information. Do not make legal decisions based on this information without consulting with competent legal counsel. This post does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us. I am not your attorney, and cannot be considered your attorney, until we establish an attorney-client relationship through a written Representation Agreement.

DevilDog
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

http://www.guthriefirm.com

Back to top Go down

Re: METH PRECURSORS

Post by Jarhead5811 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:03 pm

When I was working as Loss Prevention for WalMart I had MBN on speed dial.

Jarhead5811
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by VADER on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:21 pm

I can't tell you how many labs I've worked it's been so many. At the height of the epidemic I was doing over 30 per month. Glad they are WAY down thanks to the scheduling of ephedrine and pseudoephedrine LOL!!!

VADER
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NRA_guy on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:05 am

Here's what I don't understand (and I don't know beans about the manufacture of crystal meth):

Every time I read about the clean-up of a meth lab, they talk about the hazardous chemicals such as red phosphorus or anhydrous ammonia.

My question is why the government opts to severely restrict a decongestant that lots of people need---rather than something that the average citizen does not need such as red phosphorus or anhydrous ammonia?

Even the match manufacturers have pretty much stopped using red phosphorus.

Seems to me outright outlawing of red phosphorus possession would serve the same purpose as requiring prescriptions for pseudoephedrine.

PS: I suspect that most of the labs found now are near the state border where folks can buy pseudoephedrine in another state without a prescription. I know of a Mississippi lady who was busted for buying a bunch in Alabama "because she could buy it there without a prescription and her child needed it for allergies".

Not sure if she had any red phosphorus or anhydrous ammonia or not...

NRA_guy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by VADER on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:31 am

The best I can tell you is the following:

A. Labs were outta control and we got sick of seeing kids being injured and killed as a result of them. I really don't care to explain the horrible things I've seen done to children at lab sites.

B. Ephedrine and pseodoephedrine are the one key ingredient that you cannot substitute for when making meth so it made sense to heavily restrict them.

C. Ephedrine and pseudoephedrine do not cure anything. They are merely a bandaid that treats symptoms and not the cause. There are plenty of other medications that do the same and don't contain ephedrine or pseudoephedrine. I use them myself and they work just as good.

D. Red P labs are extremely rare. I have worked hundreds and hundreds of labs and have only seen Red P once in MS.

E. Anhydrous Ammonia is commonly used in farming and we have to eat so it doesn't make sense to cripple farming. AA can be substituted with many other precursors that are widely available.

F. I could go on and on but the main focus were the children being affected by Meth Labs. I have hundreds of examples of how kids were affected and do not care to share them or relive them.

VADER
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DevilDog on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:25 am

I didn't put the whole statute word-for-word on my site, but it has provisions for farming and legitimate use of these items, and it generally promotes a good deal of discretion about who can and cannot be convicted, which is probably a good thing. That's where I come in ("You can't charge him, he's a farmer!").

As for protecting children, I am noticing a "trend," if you will, of increased attention in the law towards this. For instance, it is increasingly common to not only get charged with DUI, but also child endangerment (a separate charge for each child) as an add-on if you are stopped for DUI with children in your vehicle.

My hat is off to you Vader; I know that is dangerous work.

DevilDog
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by VADER on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:47 am

After reading my post it does sound quite like the usual "for the children" political excuse LOL. My view of the matter is definitely skewed because I have been at the tip of the spear combating Meth Labs for over a decade now. When I look back it scares me how knumb and "used to" seeing the things done to children as a result of exposure to Meth Labs and Meth Users. Truly tragic!

VADER
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by scsonarc on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:03 am

Correction Vader, I am the tip of the spear. You are the rivet that holds the spear head to the wood. rotflmao

scsonarc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DevilDog on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 am

I am the shaft end of the spear.

In God we trust.  All others will be cross-examined.

DevilDog
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by O.S.O.K. on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:36 am

Good Lord. I sure hope this is on the way out in Mississippi. I've spent enough time in N Arkansas and seen the meth heads - they really have an epedemic there. Very sad and disturbing to see these people. They are literally zombies.

O.S.O.K.
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by VADER on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:37 pm

scsonarc wrote:Correction Vader, I am the tip of the spear. You are the rivet that holds the spear head to the wood. rotflmao

Dead on Mikey! I should have said "I've been cleaning up Mike's mess for over a decade now". ROFLMAO!!!

lol

VADER
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by VADER on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:44 pm

DevilDog wrote:I am the shaft end of the spear.

I'm sure you have to scratch your head quite often dealing with the aftermath. We will have to get together sometime and console each other LOL!

VADER
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PhillipM on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:56 pm

I think they aught to bring back public hangings for meth cooks.

I found a 20+ year old bottle of ephedrine I bought on my way to MSU years ago. Got it OTC at the truck stop at 25 & 35 that was torn down long ago. One half of one pill kept me from getting decent sleep for three nights.

PhillipM
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NRA_guy on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:14 pm

+1 on the hangings.

It does this to the user, but it does even more damage to the user's family:

NRA_guy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down