Moving to Jackson area--what should I know?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moving to Jackson area--what should I know?

Post by GP11 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:50 am

Hey y'all:

New guy here, currently living in Houston, and just found out I'm going to be moving to Jackson for work for the next few years. I've been shooting for about 7 or 8 years now--mostly pistols but some rifles and shotguns too. Been a Texas CHL holders for a while now too.

Anyhow, I'm starting to get excited about my move to Mississippi. Gun laws seem really reasonable (better than Texas tbh).

My main concern is about carry when I first get there. I of course plan to apply for my MS CCW as soon as possible, but I understand that'll take some time to get issued. That leads to a couple questions.

1) Am I OK to carry on my TX permit until my MS permit arrives? I looked over the statutes and didn't see anything that would prohibit it.

2) My understanding is that, since I already have a permit from Texas, I don't have to wait until I've been a resident for a year. Is that correct?

3) Are there any time restrictions on getting the enhanced permit? Or can I pretty much just take the class and go on down to MSP to add the endorsement as soon as my CCW arrives?

Thanks for any help!

GP11
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to Jackson area--what should I know?

Post by O.S.O.K. on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:59 am

Welcome to the board!

I just moved here from Texas myself. I love it.

You say "Jackson" but I'm guessing that you'll be living in one of the suburbs? I hope so... Jackson is a rough neighborhood.

As to your questions regarding CCW - yes, you can carry on your Texas permit as long as it's still valid. I suggest that you apply for your MS permit ASAP though. If you have a current, valid permit from Texas, you do not have to wait, you can apply and get the MS permit immediately. As to the enhanced permit - I haven't done that yet and don't have all the scoop - somebody else will help with that.

Keep asking questions and look forward to seeing more postst!!

O.S.O.K.
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scsonarc on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:07 pm

What should I know??? You should know that Jackson wouldn't be the best place to live unless you have a small Personal Security Detatchment. If your go a HAVE to work in Jackson, you might want to find a place in Rankin County to lay your head down.

scsonarc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GP11 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:07 pm

O.S.O.K. wrote:
You say "Jackson" but I'm guessing that you'll be living in one of the suburbs? I hope so... Jackson is a rough neighborhood.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, Jackson area, likely not Jackson proper. I'll be at UMMC, if anyone has recommendations on areas that are safe and easy to get to from there. I'm going to be coming to town in a few weeks to look at places to live.

GP11
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tha1000 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Watch your corn hole!

tha1000
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lazi on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:19 pm

from what I have seen there are people who are literally just afraid of jackson. their reasons will be based on the slanted focus on drama in the local news and from horror stories they trade amongst themselves. those opinions really aren't all that reasonable and coming from Houston you probably have a better idea what to expect than most of what of will be told by those who live outside of jackson.

there are as many good places to live as bad. your best bet is to speak with a realtor even if you don't plan to hire one. i will say that north jackson and east of I-55 are probably going to be a good place to start looking.

lazi
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tha1000 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:20 pm

I've lived in Jackson proper ever since moving here 4 yrs ago, I'm yet to be raped or murdered.

tha1000
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Watley DDS on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:25 pm

If you haven't found a place to live yet, stay away from the city, including Fondren and Bellhaven and even NE Jackson, especially if you have a family.

Places to shoot:
Turcotte fun range: $15 a year and open to public
Magnolia gun club: private

For new: forget the Clarion Ledger and go with Jackson Jambalaya

Tim Watley DDS
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gutdoc on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Are you married, school aged kids, are you in school requiring going to and from at different hours. These will determine where you need to live.

gutdoc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lazi on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 pm

tha1000 wrote:I've lived in Jackson proper ever since moving here 4 yrs ago, I'm yet to be raped or murdered.

yuh, well its probably because you are too busy raping and murdering people like the rest of us... Very Happy

lazi
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tha1000 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:31 pm

lazi wrote:
tha1000 wrote:I've lived in Jackson proper ever since moving here 4 yrs ago, I'm yet to be raped or murdered.

yuh, well its probably because you are too busy raping and murdering people like the rest of us... Very Happy

Lol.

tha1000
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tha1000 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:33 pm

The biggest issue I have with living in Jackson is the ridiculously high property taxes, 2/3's of which go to a "poop"hole failing school system that I wouldn't send my kids to under any circumstances.

tha1000
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

If you're a CCW permit holder, Jackson Jambalaya is NOT yer friend...

Post by Scharfschütze on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Tim Watley DDS wrote:If you haven't found a place to live yet, stay away from the city, including Fondren and Bellhaven and even NE Jackson, especially if you have a family.

For new: forget the Clarion Ledger and go with Jackson Jambalaya
Not to hijack the thread, but would like to take the opportunity to point out that James Hendrix, aka "Kingfish" is the guy from JJ who requested that DPS release all CCW permit holders' personal information:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/127204377/Updated-Jackson-Jambalayas-request-for-Concealed-Carry-records-in-Mississippi
OT

I would definitely recommend one of the 'burbs; though if you've lived in Houston long enough you know what to expect in Jackson's "urban" environment. Welcome and Good Luck!

Scharfschütze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Location: In the SW part of the "Land Mass" between Louisiana and Alabama

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Watley DDS on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Almost forgot. I went to school at UMC and had to deal with traffic which is a pain in the ass if you have to be on Lakeland Drive/hwy 25 during rush hour. I-55 coming south from the Maison area isnt bad at all. And as mentioned earlier, avoid living in the city, aside from crime, city services are horrible, especially the water. They issue boil water alerts weekly, are badly in need of sewage upgrades (the city actually dumps sewage into the Pearl River by the TON! and pay a yearly fine to the EPA) and roads are in bad shape in many areas, partly due to Yazoo clay.

Tim Watley DDS
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tha1000 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Yes, yazoo clay... Everywhere in the area. I hope you are not expecting to find a house without cracks in the wall, With rectancular door frames, and level floors.

tha1000
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpapaj on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:58 pm

There is a waiting period you know.

And GP11, come July 1 we'll all have 6 shooters on our hips and AR's strapped over our shoulders.

Seriously, come join us at Magnolia Rifle and Pistol club when you get here.

coolpapaj
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Watley DDS on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Kimgfish's write-up on that matter: http://www.kingfish1935.blogspot.com/2013/02/sun-herald-reports-on-our-dps-tiff.html?m=1

It could be a way of rationalizing after ther fact, or getting a list of anti-2nd officials who have permits? Either way it is a bit unsettling.

For local Jackson new I liked JJ and WLBT, looked at CL to laugh a Jerry Mitchels profile pic and Jackson Freee Press, basically never.

You seem to knowledgeable, do you have any favorites?

Tim Watley DDS
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by useto on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:44 pm

I wasn't raped or murdered but my locked car was broken into at my home while I was asleep and then my house was broken into while I was away washing cloths and everything of value (including firearms and cash) was stolen. JPD is worse than useless, so don't depend on them for anything. Do I sound bitter about the JPD and the other thugs in Jackson? Wonder why?

useto
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GP11 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Not married, no kids, so no worries about school systems in the foreseeable future. I'll be a resident, so I'll be coming to and from the hospital at all sorts of odd hours.

I've been in Houston for nearly 8 years now (and Houston proper, not a white-collar suburb) so Jackson doesn't worry me particularly, but obviously lower-crime areas are better, especially since I'll likely be buying a place.

I already found Magnolia Rifle and Pistol Club, and I'll be putting in an application--looks like a great place, and I'm very much over the public range thing.

Any recommendations on gun shops and/or FFLs that handle transfers?

GP11
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Tim Watley DDS wrote:Almost forgot. I went to school at UMC and had to deal with traffic which is a pain in the ass if you have to be on Lakeland Drive/hwy 25 during rush hour. I-55 coming south from the Maison area isnt bad at all. And as mentioned earlier, avoid living in the city, aside from crime, city services are horrible, especially the water. They issue boil water alerts weekly, are badly in need of sewage upgrades (the city actually dumps sewage into the Pearl River by the TON! and pay a yearly fine to the EPA) and roads are in bad shape in many areas, partly due to Yazoo clay.

He's from Houston.......I'd imagine our traffic here is nothing compared to what he's used to.

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Equilibrium on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:06 pm

GP11 wrote:Thanks for all the input, guys.

I use D&J Silvermine on 55. Close to UMC. 25 bucks a transfer. Good people and they will email or fax the FFL license. There are also some people on this forum that will do for cheaper I believe(just have to figure in driving distance).

Equilibrium
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:07 pm

ffls? biscuitnt and mr cr clean on here, both are great to deal with.
Gun shops? depends on what you are looking for, cheap stuff? get to know the pawn shops in and around the jungle of jackson. Best ones are in the roughest parts.
expensive with good inventory, vans or bass pro. Academy has decent prices, but erratic inventory. Never know what they are going to have.
Best communties? I am somewhat biased, but clinton is still pretty good. Great police force... i know quite a few of them personally. A few good places to eat, but we are over run with mexican places and asian places... cant really recommend any of them. Only mexican place i eat at is el potrillo in madison or brandon.
Shameless plug.. my folks do have a few rental houses here in clinton in quiet older neighborhoods.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:07 pm

I'd personally avoid Hinds county at all costs. It's the more liberal part of the state really, so your elected officials likely won't be representing your political views.

Rankin, Madison and Copiah counties are probably the way to go. I grew up in Florence and wanted to settle there but the housing prices were two high for my wife and I just starting out so we settled on Richland. Cheaper housing and not a bad place as far as crime goes but there's a good bit of white trash, which doesn't bother me. I've heard it referred to as the buffer zone for a lot of folks.

I'll be moving further out once we get some money saved up. The wife and I both dislike living in town but she wanted the convenience of it. She apparently forgot it meant having to deal with other people who live in town. wall bash

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GP11 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Any areas where CLEOs are less likely to sign for NFA goodies? Got a few things on the wish list.

GP11
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:29 pm

GP11 wrote:Any areas where CLEOs are less likely to sign for NFA goodies? Got a few things on the wish list.

Former clinton chief would not sign, nor would the old sheriff. Seriously doubt the new hinds sheriff would either. Trust route is better imho, less hassle for your estate if something happens to you.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Watley DDS on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Some of my favorite gun shops:

Vann's Deer Processing - best selection of new guns and accessories, although a bit pricey IMO

Great Southern Firearms - good selection, good people, and fair prices

Then usual big box stores like Academy, Dick's, and Bass Pro Shop.

Also, congrats on the residency? What type? I worked in the ER there for about a year and it was great experience. They also have a cool iMRI department, not many of those machines in the country. You'll be parking across State Street in Memorial stadium parking lot which can be pretty sketchy, especially at odd hours.

Tim Watley DDS
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cliff Cargill on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:20 pm

Mr. Clean on the FFL.

Myself for training on the Enhanced carry permit sticker! thumbs up

Cliff Cargill
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

http://www.magnoliashooters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by msubullyfan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:11 pm

coolpapaj wrote:Seriously, come join us at Magnolia Rifle and Pistol club when you get here.

Yep. Moved here a year ago and joined up because I don't have any family land in the area. I went to Turcotte a few times and got tired of having guns pointed at me. Magnolia has been an awesome experience. Great people! Met quite a few who I see at my normal time on the range and have struck up conversations that took up more of my time than shooting does!

msubullyfan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBouncer1111 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:04 pm

lazi wrote:from what I have seen there are people who are literally just afraid of Jackson. their reasons will be based on the slanted focus on drama in the local news and from horror stories they trade amongst themselves. those opinions really aren't all that reasonable and coming from Houston you probably have a better idea what to expect than most of what of will be told by those who live outside of Jackson.

there are as many good places to live as bad. your best bet is to speak with a realtor even if you don't plan to hire one. i will say that north Jackson and east of I-55 are probably going to be a good place to start looking.

I grew up and my mom still lives in what's known as NE Jackson. She's been in same location since 1973, what "use" to be known and called a upscale NE neighborhood. I have slowly watched the neighborhood degrade, and have been trying to get her to move the past 5 years. Every year, more "incidences" or occurrence are happening, getting closer and closer. And it's not just whispered speculation or gossip. I would move her tomorrow if she'd let me.

Look in rankin on the lakeland hyw25 corridor if looking at UMMC.

TheBouncer1111
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by colonelz on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:19 pm

You will find out quickly what the problem in jackson proper is.......However, Northeast Jackson (north of Lakeland Drive and east of Old Canton Road is for the most part a nice community, as is parts of Fondern and Belhaven and is VERY convenient to UMMC. Be careful in your house hunting and drive through any community you might wish to live in several times during the week and weekend before you buy or rent.

colonelz
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GP11 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm definitely going to find a good realtor--my program has already suggested one.

Any good sites for private firearms sales (besides the classifieds here, of course)?

GP11
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tree of Liberty on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:39 pm

If you want to live close to UMC, we are about to sell our house. Trying to get organized before my wife's last year in residency. Don't really know what you are looking for.

Tree of Liberty
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:41 pm

I lived in Rice village while in Houston. I will say traffic here is much slower. Where you are use to 8 lanes moving fast just millions of cars we have 2 lanes with some going 20.ph and other people driving 80. You will see far more wrecks here than Houston. Pretty much ALL of Jackson minus fondren, belhaven, and eastover is 5th ward. My friend owns a house in marblehead he rents out to UMMC students, residents, and employees that is very safe area on the reservoir and has a super pimp pool and backyard. He was a resident at UMMC while living there. Of course it would probably benefit you more to buy and either sell or rent it out when you finish residency.

Talk to 2Alawyer on here about setting up a trust for you. No signoff needed that way.

Btw did you say 7-8 years? What arr you going into?

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by CinBrandon on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:29 pm

My wife did residency and is now faculty/ attending at UMC. We live off Lakeland on Old Fannin. There are places that are closer, but this area has worked well for us. We have kids.

I've had friend that liked living in Byram and Terry, which is closer to Magnolia range. There are also nice places in Rankin Co. south of I-20.

What area of residency?
Good luck and let me know if I can be of further help.

P.S. Yes you can take the required course and get your enhancement sticker at any point. You have to take the certificate to DPS within 30 days of taking the course. And I thoroughly enjoyed my course taught by Cliff Cargill, a moderator on here. Excellent!!! (There are other instructors in the area as well).

CinBrandon
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Low Rider on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Welcome to our house GP. MSGO is where it's at.

Low Rider
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cdwolf on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:41 pm

CinBrandon wrote:My wife did residency and is now faculty/ attending at UMC. We live off Lakeland on Old Fannin. There are places that are closer, but this area has worked well for us. We have kids.

I've had friend that liked living in Byram and Terry, which is closer to Magnolia range. There are also nice places in Rankin Co. south of I-20.

What area of residency?
Good luck and let me know if I can be of further help.

P.S. Yes you can take the required course and get your enhancement sticker at any point. You have to take the certificate to DPS within 30 days of taking the course. And I thoroughly enjoyed my course taught by Cliff Cargill, a moderator on here. Excellent!!! (There are other instructors in the area as well).
Flowood is where you want to look, it's 15 minutes to the hospital from here, my wife is a RN there starting the NP program in the fall. The PD keeps this side of the river straight.

cdwolf
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 94LEVERFAN on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:28 am

In answer to the original question:
Keep your eyes open, head down, and powder dry.

94LEVERFAN
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JKtruck150 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 am

coolpapaj wrote:
Seriously, come join us at Magnolia Rifle and Pistol club when you get here.

X2. Come and join us.

My wife works at UMMC in the labs. You'll find a few more on this forum work there as well. Maybe make some instant friends.

I think you have most of your questions answered, but I just wanted to say Welcome! Wink

JKtruck150
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by senilking on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

My wife is going to school at UMMC currently. I do wonder, are you still considered a student in residency? I would assume not.

If you want something fun to look at, check this out. On the main page, that's about a months worth of crime. Gives a good idea about the "safer" parts of town. Any of the suburbs is a much better choice, though Jackson tends to flip them bad pretty quick.

Mostly I agree - avoiding Hinds county is about your best bet with both taxes and crime. Keep your head up and keep alert, and if the road looks bad, it probably is.

senilking
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RKpianoman on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:21 am

Ridgeland, Clinton, and Flowood are great choices. I have lived in both ridgeland and Clinton, and have even very impressed with both of their fire and police departments. The commute from Clinton and ridgeland to UMMC is about equal; although, the quick "back route" from Clinton takes you through some sketchy areas.

I work nights at mbmc, about 1/4 mile south of UMMC, and my commute from ridgeland takes 15min using the interstate

RKpianoman
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msubullyfan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:28 pm

GP11 wrote:I'm definitely going to find a good realtor--my program has already suggested one.

Beat of luck moving and welcome to Mississippi! I'd STRONGLY recommend Virginia Wyatt with Century 21 Masselle & Associates. I have used her 3 different times moving into/out of the area and she is the best realtor I've ever seen. She's been working in the Jackson metro area for 30 years and knows Hinds, Rankin, and Madison counties like the back of her hand.

Please know that I have no reason to recommend her other than having such great experiences working with her. I really think she's the best around. Her contact info is:

601-955-0211 mobile
601-855-3333 office
virginiawyatt@frontdoorkey.com
virginiawyatt@gmail.com

msubullyfan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kb7722 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Not married, no kids, so no worries about school systems in the foreseeable future. I'll be a resident, so I'll be coming to and from the hospital at all sorts of odd hours.

I've been in Houston for nearly 8 years now (and Houston proper, not a white-collar suburb) so Jackson doesn't worry me particularly, but obviously lower-crime areas are better, especially since I'll likely be buying a place.

I already found Magnolia Rifle and Pistol Club, and I'll be putting in an application--looks like a great place, and I'm very much over the public range thing.

You looking to buy or rent?

If renting, there are some nice apartments in Ridgeland. Check off of rice road and old canton road. If you are looking to buy, Madison, Flowood, or the Reservior will be good places to start. It will take you 30 minutes or less to get to UMC from most of these areas during commuting hours.

kb7722
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by hogman23 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:26 pm

kb7722 wrote:

You looking to buy or rent?

If renting, there are some nice apartments in Ridgeland. Check off of rice road and old canton road. If you are looking to buy, Madison, Flowood, or the Reservior will be good places to start. It will take you 30 minutes or less to get to UMC from most of these areas during commuting hours.

+1

hogman23
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by OleTimer on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:13 pm

IMHO as a relatively new Mississippian, the Jackson area offers a range of living options that are tough to beat. You can live in the country or a suburban neighborhood and be less than 30 minutes from UMC, or you can live in the Belhaven neighborhood and be less than a mile / 3 minutes away. Jackson has some incredible restaurants for a city of its size and an active music & entertainment scene.

Like any city Jackson proper has a downside, but also pluses. If you're single, working long hours at UMC, and enjoy eating out & music then don't rule out Belhaven.

Just my 2 cents.

OleTimer
Full Poster
Full Poster

http://thisweekinnuclear.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PhillipM on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:25 pm

OleTimer wrote:IMHO as a relatively new Mississippian, the Jackson area offers a range of living options that are tough to beat. You can live in the country or a suburban neighborhood and be less than 30 minutes from UMC, or you can live in the Belhaven neighborhood and be less than a mile / 3 minutes away. Jackson has some incredible restaurants for a city of its size and an active music & entertainment scene.

Like any city Jackson proper has a downside, but also pluses. If you're single, working long hours at UMC, and enjoy eating out & music then don't rule out Belhaven.

Just my 2 cents.

+1 The odds are about even from having a thug attack in Belhaven as is injured in a crash driving 40-60 miles a day to a perceived better neighborhood. For some reason people ignore all the meth heads in Rankin county when discussing metro area crime stats.

There are some nice homes and neighborhoods around Eastover too.

Come join us at Magnolia, it's my favorite capital city attraction! www.magnoliarpc.com

PhillipM
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by hogman23 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:32 pm

PhillipM wrote:
OleTimer wrote:IMHO as a relatively new Mississippian, the Jackson area offers a range of living options that are tough to beat. You can live in the country or a suburban neighborhood and be less than 30 minutes from UMC, or you can live in the Belhaven neighborhood and be less than a mile / 3 minutes away. Jackson has some incredible restaurants for a city of its size and an active music & entertainment scene.

Just my 2 cents.

+1 The odds are about even from having a thug attack in Belhaven as is injured in a crash driving 40-60 miles a day to a perceived better neighborhood. For some reason people ignore all the meth heads in Rankin county when discussing metro area crime stats.

There are some nice homes and neighborhoods around Eastover too.

Come join us at Magnolia, it's my favorite capital city attraction! www.magnoliarpc.com

You may be right, but it is a different lifestyle. Where I live, my kids play outside and I don't worry about them, my wife goes out after dark and jogs and I don't worry about her. No way in hell I would let my kids play outside by themselves in Belhaven or anywhere else in Jackson for that matter.

hogman23
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by WeBeJeepin on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 pm

I hate to be the black sheep in this discussion but I would be willing to bet that most of the guys that talk bad about Jackson have never lived here. I grew up in NE Jackson and since I got married 6 years ago I have lived in Fondren. You cannot ask for a better location. My wife works at UMC and her car barely has enought time to warm up on her drive to work. The people in Fondren are great, crime in minimal, convenient to everything, lots of activities, Tons of good restaurants and bars, beautiful trees and all the houses don't look the same. I am about to PM you with a great realtor in the area. Good Luck!

WeBeJeepin
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by senilking on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:31 pm

I've lived here long enough (about a year this time and 2 years a couple years ago) to know I don't care for it. Heard enough gun shots, been yelled at while driving down the road, ect. enough times to know it's not my kind of place and I'm the wrong color.

But, then again, like hogman said, it may just be a lifestyle thing. I'd rather be able to go out randomly and not have to worry about the folks walking around. I'd rather carry a pistol because I'm worried about wild animals rather than people. I like places I could reasonably leave my truck unlocked and expect to see it when I return. Probably still won't after living in cities for a while, but I wouldn't expect it to leave. Of course, everyone thinks I'm crazy for moving all the way to outside of Crystal Springs to get that lifestyle, but it's what I grew up with and what I like.

senilking
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:56 pm

I've lived there Jackson sucks. Don't fall for it.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:49 pm

Never lived in jackson myself, and never will. Yes, there are nicer areas of jackson.. but in many of those areas there is a much larger area close by that is comparable to the ninth ward in new orleans or other bad urban areas. Take fondren for example, some of the worst areas in jackson are within blocks of there. Drive down by the train tracks just a block or 3 off state near fondren if you do not believe me, you will see prostitutes and dealers frequently. I saw many on my trips to jackson generator nearby.
Yes, there is a rough area near clinton.. but i know from firsthand experience many of the bad ones from that area will not set foot in clinton. That is why home depots business dropped dramatically when the clinton store was relocated here from over by the now mostly deserted metro mall. Over 50% of the customer base will not set foot in clinton due to cpd and their reputation. This came from me talking face to face with many customers from that area when i worked at home depot.

If you think you are safe in jackson you are either lucky or delusional.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum