Moving to Jackson area--what should I know?

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moving to Jackson area--what should I know?

Post by GP11 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:50 am

Hey y'all:

New guy here, currently living in Houston, and just found out I'm going to be moving to Jackson for work for the next few years. I've been shooting for about 7 or 8 years now--mostly pistols but some rifles and shotguns too. Been a Texas CHL holders for a while now too.

Anyhow, I'm starting to get excited about my move to Mississippi. Gun laws seem really reasonable (better than Texas tbh).

My main concern is about carry when I first get there. I of course plan to apply for my MS CCW as soon as possible, but I understand that'll take some time to get issued. That leads to a couple questions.

1) Am I OK to carry on my TX permit until my MS permit arrives? I looked over the statutes and didn't see anything that would prohibit it.

2) My understanding is that, since I already have a permit from Texas, I don't have to wait until I've been a resident for a year. Is that correct?

3) Are there any time restrictions on getting the enhanced permit? Or can I pretty much just take the class and go on down to MSP to add the endorsement as soon as my CCW arrives?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by GP11 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

GP11
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving to Jackson area--what should I know?

Post by O.S.O.K. on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:59 am

Welcome to the board!

I just moved here from Texas myself. I love it.

You say "Jackson" but I'm guessing that you'll be living in one of the suburbs? I hope so... Jackson is a rough neighborhood.

As to your questions regarding CCW - yes, you can carry on your Texas permit as long as it's still valid. I suggest that you apply for your MS permit ASAP though. If you have a current, valid permit from Texas, you do not have to wait, you can apply and get the MS permit immediately. As to the enhanced permit - I haven't done that yet and don't have all the scoop - somebody else will help with that.

Keep asking questions and look forward to seeing more postst!!

O.S.O.K.
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scsonarc on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:07 pm

What should I know??? You should know that Jackson wouldn't be the best place to live unless you have a small Personal Security Detatchment. If your go a HAVE to work in Jackson, you might want to find a place in Rankin County to lay your head down.

scsonarc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GP11 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:07 pm

O.S.O.K. wrote:
You say "Jackson" but I'm guessing that you'll be living in one of the suburbs? I hope so... Jackson is a rough neighborhood.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, Jackson area, likely not Jackson proper. I'll be at UMMC, if anyone has recommendations on areas that are safe and easy to get to from there. I'm going to be coming to town in a few weeks to look at places to live.

GP11
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tha1000 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Watch your corn hole!

tha1000
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lazi on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:19 pm

from what I have seen there are people who are literally just afraid of jackson. their reasons will be based on the slanted focus on drama in the local news and from horror stories they trade amongst themselves. those opinions really aren't all that reasonable and coming from Houston you probably have a better idea what to expect than most of what of will be told by those who live outside of jackson.

there are as many good places to live as bad. your best bet is to speak with a realtor even if you don't plan to hire one. i will say that north jackson and east of I-55 are probably going to be a good place to start looking.

lazi
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tha1000 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:20 pm

I've lived in Jackson proper ever since moving here 4 yrs ago, I'm yet to be raped or murdered.

tha1000
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Watley DDS on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:25 pm

If you haven't found a place to live yet, stay away from the city, including Fondren and Bellhaven and even NE Jackson, especially if you have a family.

Places to shoot:
Turcotte fun range: $15 a year and open to public
Magnolia gun club: private

For new: forget the Clarion Ledger and go with Jackson Jambalaya

Tim Watley DDS
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gutdoc on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Are you married, school aged kids, are you in school requiring going to and from at different hours. These will determine where you need to live.

gutdoc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by lazi on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 pm

tha1000 wrote:I've lived in Jackson proper ever since moving here 4 yrs ago, I'm yet to be raped or murdered.

yuh, well its probably because you are too busy raping and murdering people like the rest of us... Very Happy

lazi
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tha1000 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:31 pm

lazi wrote:
tha1000 wrote:I've lived in Jackson proper ever since moving here 4 yrs ago, I'm yet to be raped or murdered.

yuh, well its probably because you are too busy raping and murdering people like the rest of us... Very Happy

Lol.

tha1000
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tha1000 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:33 pm

The biggest issue I have with living in Jackson is the ridiculously high property taxes, 2/3's of which go to a "poop"hole failing school system that I wouldn't send my kids to under any circumstances.

tha1000
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

If you're a CCW permit holder, Jackson Jambalaya is NOT yer friend...

Post by Scharfsch├╝tze on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Tim Watley DDS wrote:If you haven't found a place to live yet, stay away from the city, including Fondren and Bellhaven and even NE Jackson, especially if you have a family.

For new: forget the Clarion Ledger and go with Jackson Jambalaya
Not to hijack the thread, but would like to take the opportunity to point out that James Hendrix, aka "Kingfish" is the guy from JJ who requested that DPS release all CCW permit holders' personal information:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/127204377/Updated-Jackson-Jambalayas-request-for-Concealed-Carry-records-in-Mississippi
OT

I would definitely recommend one of the 'burbs; though if you've lived in Houston long enough you know what to expect in Jackson's "urban" environment. Welcome and Good Luck!

Scharfsch├╝tze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Location: In the SW part of the "Land Mass" between Louisiana and Alabama

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Watley DDS on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Almost forgot. I went to school at UMC and had to deal with traffic which is a pain in the ass if you have to be on Lakeland Drive/hwy 25 during rush hour. I-55 coming south from the Maison area isnt bad at all. And as mentioned earlier, avoid living in the city, aside from crime, city services are horrible, especially the water. They issue boil water alerts weekly, are badly in need of sewage upgrades (the city actually dumps sewage into the Pearl River by the TON! and pay a yearly fine to the EPA) and roads are in bad shape in many areas, partly due to Yazoo clay.

Tim Watley DDS
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tha1000 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Yes, yazoo clay... Everywhere in the area. I hope you are not expecting to find a house without cracks in the wall, With rectancular door frames, and level floors.

tha1000
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpapaj on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:58 pm

There is a waiting period you know.

And GP11, come July 1 we'll all have 6 shooters on our hips and AR's strapped over our shoulders.

Seriously, come join us at Magnolia Rifle and Pistol club when you get here.

coolpapaj
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Watley DDS on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Kimgfish's write-up on that matter: http://www.kingfish1935.blogspot.com/2013/02/sun-herald-reports-on-our-dps-tiff.html?m=1

It could be a way of rationalizing after ther fact, or getting a list of anti-2nd officials who have permits? Either way it is a bit unsettling.

For local Jackson new I liked JJ and WLBT, looked at CL to laugh a Jerry Mitchels profile pic and Jackson Freee Press, basically never.

You seem to knowledgeable, do you have any favorites?

Tim Watley DDS
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by useto on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:44 pm

I wasn't raped or murdered but my locked car was broken into at my home while I was asleep and then my house was broken into while I was away washing cloths and everything of value (including firearms and cash) was stolen. JPD is worse than useless, so don't depend on them for anything. Do I sound bitter about the JPD and the other thugs in Jackson? Wonder why?

useto
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GP11 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Not married, no kids, so no worries about school systems in the foreseeable future. I'll be a resident, so I'll be coming to and from the hospital at all sorts of odd hours.

I've been in Houston for nearly 8 years now (and Houston proper, not a white-collar suburb) so Jackson doesn't worry me particularly, but obviously lower-crime areas are better, especially since I'll likely be buying a place.

I already found Magnolia Rifle and Pistol Club, and I'll be putting in an application--looks like a great place, and I'm very much over the public range thing.

Any recommendations on gun shops and/or FFLs that handle transfers?

GP11
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Tim Watley DDS wrote:Almost forgot. I went to school at UMC and had to deal with traffic which is a pain in the ass if you have to be on Lakeland Drive/hwy 25 during rush hour. I-55 coming south from the Maison area isnt bad at all. And as mentioned earlier, avoid living in the city, aside from crime, city services are horrible, especially the water. They issue boil water alerts weekly, are badly in need of sewage upgrades (the city actually dumps sewage into the Pearl River by the TON! and pay a yearly fine to the EPA) and roads are in bad shape in many areas, partly due to Yazoo clay.

He's from Houston.......I'd imagine our traffic here is nothing compared to what he's used to.

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top