Trail of Honor 2013 cancelled

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trail of Honor 2013 cancelled

Post by jakeg823 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Just posted on HD of Jackson's Facebook page:

This was also posted shortly after:

Say what you want about that shop, but what they do for our servicemembers and vets is HUGE. These folks really get into it and push it all year long. The day after the Trail of Honor ends is when the owner of the Harley shop starts working on the next years. This is his baby so I can assure you the decision was not taken lightly.

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Trail of Honor 2013 cancelled

Post by Low Rider on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:04 pm

What a bunch of BS. Way to go Obama..... He never ceases to amaze me. How about cutting the freakin MILLION dollar golf games and actually allocate some money to promote our veterans. What a piss poor excuse for a leader..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets make damn sure Michelle has the money to travel around and tell kids what to eat at school. Anything outside of a pack of sunflower seeds will make you FAT...

Low Rider
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:10 pm

It isn't just Obama. I blame every last POS politician in Washington. All of them, republican, democrat and in between have given us nothing but lip service. Not a single one of them gives a rats ass about passing a feasible budget. We have been under 9 continuing resolutions since 2001. They get there's and we get screwed.

I sincerely believe every last sorry POS on Capitol Hill needs to resign.

Back to top Go down

Post by Low Rider on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Agreed, I see your avatar and it seems you are in the military. Let me say THANK YOU for your service. I do apologize for what this country is doing to our veterans and active duty. They are all selfish as hell on capitol hill. I wish there was a way to change that issue with the ride. I just don't get it......

Low Rider
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by steve2112 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:21 pm

nothing wrote:It isn't just Obama. I blame every last POS politician in Washington. All of them, republican, democrat and in between have given us nothing but lip service. Not a single one of them gives a rats ass about passing a feasible budget. We have been under 9 continuing resolutions since 2001. They get there's and we get screwed.

I sincerely believe every last sorry POS on Capitol Hill needs to resign.

You are 100% correct. Everybody gets so hung up on blaming Obama for everything that they ignore the idiots responsible for this mess. It amazes me that polls show Congress has a 20% approval rating, yet they continue to have a 90% reelection rate. They know they probably won't get voted out of office no matter what they do, so they really don't care about anybody but themselves. Everybody thinks THEIR congresscritter is doing great, and bringing in jobs, and federal projects, but those OTHER idiots are the ones ruining things. The truth is they are all in on it.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/house-and-senate-incumbent-re-election-rates-top-90/

steve2112
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sidroski on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:23 am

The Right Wing will suffer - If you look at the cuts made, 90% of discretionary spending cuts are aimed at hurting us. No more fly-by's at NASCAR, not many D's there. Tours at national parks, same. Tours of the WH and other historic sites owned by us, same. Reinactments, Airshows (JXN was cancelled), battlefield tours, on and on. Most people going may not be R's but they sure identify with conservative ideology.
Other than than that, sequestration has not hurt me in the least. The D's biggest horror story of the last few months is just a big yawn.

sidroski
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TankerHC on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:17 am

I volunteer at the Trail. Planned on getting my name on the list again when I got down to our VFW post Monday. O worked the moving Wall helping people find names.

80% of the Trail isnt even Government funded. Its sponsored. The biggest part of the trail is the Re-Enactors and the moving Wall, IIRC Budweiser sponsors several of the Moving Walls. About the only thing on the trail itself that was active military was the Navy Boat display. The Hughey and the Cobra that give rides are privately owned surplus choppers. The outside tents are all sponsors. And inside most of the tables are Vet Organization sponsored, paid for by Veteran Members, VFW, Legion, VNVMC, and others. Yea you have the VA there and at one time I think retiree services, but most of the tables were Vet organizations. The only Flag rank officers I saw in the last two years were retirees and two years ago our Post sponsored the guest speakers, the Navajo Code Talkers, they were also the guest speakers at our VFW dinner after the first day of the trail.

Yes, you had an M1, a couple of pieces of artillery, some MRAP's, couple of Armored Humvees, the Navy and their Boat. They cant do it with everyone else?

I suspect there is more to it than sequestration.

TankerHC
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:02 am

I do not know tanker. I know Earl though. This is his baby, he wouldn't cancel it without good reason.

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:14 am

jakeg823 wrote:I do not know tanker. I know Earl though. This is his baby, he wouldn't cancel it without good reason.

I know the American Legion guys there too and they were talking about it yesterday. Most of it is volunteers so I'm not sure.

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by O.S.O.K. on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:43 am

Yes, heard about this at our last MSSG drill - we have provided security for this event in past years and were looking forward to doing it again this year. Sequester didn't affect us as we're 100% volunteer and recieve very little funding save for our annual training.

O.S.O.K.
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by GOVT MULE on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:05 am

I hate it, I enjoyed working it and I enjoyed having my kids there.

The annual Air Show at the Air Guard Base got cancelled as well. The Blue Angels and Thunderbirds both backed out two weeks ago.

GOVT MULE
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by steve2112 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:22 pm

The cuts are about to start hitting some people. The FAA announced today that they are closing 149 airport control towers. A couple in Mississippi that I found interesting were Hawkins Field and the Tupelo airport. There's a link in the article that shows the entire list.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324103504578376730300098680.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

steve2112
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by RKpianoman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:19 pm

But why is a relatively small federal budget cut so greatly affecting largely non-federal events?

RKpianoman
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by O.S.O.K. on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Making it hurt - making it hurt... no cuts to welfare...

O.S.O.K.
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MickeyK on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:29 pm

It's all a freaking political ploy. We are spending MORE than last year. This is just a 2% cut in spending growth.

Then you see this kind of crap.
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/03/22/what-sequester-one-night-of-biden-in-paris-585000-n1546590

What an imperial administration and unfortunately 50% of the voters want them so there checks will keep coming.

MickeyK
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by triggerman454 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:24 pm

THIS IS A TOTAL Desecration !!!!!!!!

Going to the Trail of Honor and being around other Vets, eases the feelings of all the funerals I went to when I lived in NYC during Nam.
I served on an Aircraft Carrier, however, many of my friends and neighbors bit the bullet and , sometimes, I feel guilty for not having been in battle.

This makes me SAD.

triggerman454
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sidroski on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:09 pm

O.S.O.K. wrote:Making it hurt - making it hurt... no cuts to welfare...
if it is not sequestration, name me one intitlement other than those paid into like SS that have been cut as OSAK said. Goes on long enough, they will cut back some handouts just to let the mostly D mob loot and sack the mostly R businesses. They've got a mob ready to burn it down ala Watts and Rodney King. I'm with the Korean's, me and a gat will protect mine.

sidroski
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by PhillipM on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:52 pm

I went out after dark in Jackson and visited with Earl tonight.

The board of directors for the trail of honor are of the opinion that it is a premier event and anything less than a full show would be a disservice.

However, there will be something! There will be a Governor's ride Sunday morning and then he'll have the showroom cleaned out and have a feast! (BYOB) There will be a MOH recipient that will ride down from Wisconsin and speak Monday.

After they thought about it, several of the volunteers looked on the bright side and realized since they weren't working, they could ride in with the run to the wall riders for the first time Monday.

PhillipM
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:20 am

I had a feeling they wouldn't just do nothing, and that it had more to do with the fact that the expectations have been built up so high, but that was just speculation on my part.

Lord knows the man knows how to put together a gathering.

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by TankerHC on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:05 pm

PhillipM wrote:I went out after dark in Jackson and visited with Earl tonight.

The board of directors for the trail of honor are of the opinion that it is a premier event and anything less than a full show would be a disservice.

Wasnt just that, couldn't secure the Military equipment but they couldn't secure the permits needed either. He just messaged and let me know. Wonder why they couldnt secure the permits, in just a few years that has become a money generator for Vet orgs and the Jackson area in general. You would think they would hand those permits right over.

TankerHC
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top