Switching to another caliber

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Switching to another caliber

Post by Micah on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Okay, so I would like to ask the opinion of some of the more experienced shooters, preppers, and all-around-bad-asses on this forum.
I love my guns with a passion. I especially love my .45 ACP handguns (Glock 21 and a XDS) HOWEVER I have begun to feel that as much as I love the .45 I think that switching to 9mm would be more advantageous. Here are my reasons (please argue, for or against, these):

1. In a SHTF/WROL situation (I pray every night that this never happens) I would think that 9mm ammo would be more abundant. Also Glock 9mm parts and mags would kinda be a dime a dozen.
2. Several friends and family members primary handguns are 9mm
3. My mother and girlfriend aren't to keen on the .45's kick.

So I ask: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Thanks!

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Switching to another caliber

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:40 pm

If you are confident in your ability to shoot quickly and accurately caliber will matter much less. If you aren't confident in your ability caliber is irrelevant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Yeah, that seems to be the number one response across the competent part of the online gun community. I do need more practice but I can't say that I am to bad with accuracy. lol

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:12 am

I sold off all of mine to get 1 caliber and stockpile it. Then I got a raise and realized that was a stupid idea. If I ran out I would be limited to 1 caliber. Si I bought a bunch of them.

9mm, 40, 45, 44, 357. Looking to get conversion barrels for Glock 45 to 10mm maybe then get some exotics.

Get what you can afford to feed. If your family needs 9mm get it if you can afford it.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:16 am

Well I would honestly love to be able to afford multiple calibers but I can barely afford the one I have lol!
.22, .38/.357, .45, .223
I would like to add a 12 gauge and a large caliber rifle but student loans are coming due!

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarhead5811 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:21 am

I haven't done it yet but I plan to get a .22lr adapter, 9mm barrel and .357Sig barrel for my Glock 22 and 27. I'm also thinking about picking up a Glock 21SF and getting a 10mm barrel for it but that'll be after many other no cool things get taken care of.

Jarhead5811
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirak on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:59 am

3) only in MS is it legal for your mother and girlfriend to be the same person! Jk

That aside, don't for one second assume that glock parts and mags will be a dime a dozen. The situation you are preparing for hasn't even happened and look at the scarcity of it already. Can you find mags and parts right now? Sure. Can you find them in every single store or website you look at? Nope...same will hold true during the SHTF situation...

Just my two cents

Smirak
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Eaglestroker on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:16 am

I think that diversity is the spice of life. Point and case is I have two calibers in particular I can still go buy ammo for. It was expensive before so its still expensive now it's the availability that matters. If you were moving to one platform conversion barrels and mags seem like a solid choice.

BigRobsGunleather

Joe S. wrote:...... A 45/70 winchester is the supreme choice.

Eaglestroker
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

http://bigrobsgunleather.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scsonarc on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:26 am

I wouldn't think that 9mm would be any more abundant than 45 during an SHTF situation.

scsonarc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:04 am

I'm a multi-caliber fan, and practice/carry with as many different ones as I can.

As far as availability during shtf, look at the availability now. The ammo is out there somewhere, but it isn't easy to find. That means someone personally has it and you won't find it at a store (doubt there'd be stores for some time during shtf).

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 am

I'd say you're looking at it wrong. If you're really thinking of shtf then, to me, logic would dictate you would want a variety of available weapons so that you can use any amount of ammunition in whatever caliber you come across. You don't want to limit yourself.

I shoot primarily 9mm and .45, but also bought a .357 and .44 right before the panic set in.

I'd go buy a Glock 17 or 19 if your mom and sister can handle them well enough, if not then explore some of the other wonder 9s. It's worth the extra enjoyment at the range for them and the confidence at home if its needed.

My wife prefers to shoot her Ruger SP101 with .38s loaded in it and keeps .357s in it for carry. She's never once complained about the kick of the .38, nor has she ever had a problem with my Browning Hi-Power or my Glock 26. Have your mom and girlfriend try your revolver out.

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by O.S.O.K. on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:39 am

I would suggest adding 40 S&W rather than switching to 9mm. Keep the 45's and get a 40 - the .gov uses 40 now, not 9mm and I've seen more 40 than anything else during the panic - if that's any indication.

I personally have a variety - no matter what caliber is available, I'll have a gun to shoot it Smile I was missing 40 S&W so fixed that with a used XD40.

O.S.O.K.
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBasic on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:19 am

Variety is the spice of life. I suggest several calibers, and stock up. I didn't get my 5.56/.223 till about 4 weeks ago. I don't have Homeland Security numbers of rounds, but getting there. 9, 40, 5.56, 243, 7.62, 12 ga., 380- ammo I stocked up on the past 30 years. What I really want is a feeder belt for .410. The squirrels would be scared then.

SuperBasic
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_k on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:22 am

O.S.O.K. wrote:I would suggest adding 40 S&W rather than switching to 9mm. Keep the 45's and get a 40 - the .gov uses 40 now, not 9mm and I've seen more 40 than anything else during the panic - if that's any indication.

I personally have a variety - no matter what caliber is available, I'll have a gun to shoot it Smile I was missing 40 S&W so fixed that with a used XD40.

I was just about the type the same thing. Thanks for saving me the typing! thumbs up

chris_k
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by fastarrow on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 pm

I own 3 handguns. All 3 are .45acp. That way when I buy ammo (when I can find it) I can stock up on one caliber. I would rather have 4 or 5 thousand rounds of 45acp than a thousand of this and a couple thousand of that. It's just easier for me to grab and go.

fastarrow
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gutdoc on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:24 pm

You want to keep the women in your life happy and enjoying shooting, and You have overlap of 9mm's with other friends and family. So I agree with jake823, sell the 45 you like the least and grab a Glock 19 or 17. IMO The availability of 40 S&W ammo was strictly less demand at the onset of this buying frenzy.

gutdoc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottW on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm

I agree with keeping multiple calibers, but a Glock 40 or .357 Sig can easily be converted to a 9mm or 40 or .357 with a conversion barrel, but a 9mm Glock cannot be due to the smaller barrel diameter. So my suggestion would be buy a Glock 40 and buy a conversion barrel, as well as magazine followers, the only difference in the 9mm and 40 magazine....

ScottW
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nonnieselman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Ive been looking for a Glock 21... lemme know when you want to sell it Very Happy

Ive got 2 .40's, a 45acp, and a 44mag. So i need another 45 to keep the other company

But really i just want one so i can have a good platform to suppress

nonnieselman
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gutdoc on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm

That was where I was a heading too!

gutdoc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:24 pm

Wow... Thank you all for the opinions/responses! I really appreciate them all!
I would like to add one thing: I just graduated college and I have been unable to get a job. Hell, even Target turned me down because I am "over qualified". Anyway, I cant really afford to go get conversion barrels, let alone another handgun. If I do get rid of my 45s it will be for a direct trade for an equivalent 9mm trade. Oh, the "dime a dozen" comment was said because my city and all the surrounding cities police officers carry Glocks in 9mm.

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 2DARK2C on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:40 pm

i have been back and forth over what to do during this panic.. honestly i would sit on what you have and not trade a thing. get some airguns to practice with and save your ammo till this all blows over... if it was condition normal i would say dump the .45's and go all 9mm, thats what i did a few yrs ago!

2DARK2C
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks! I'm still mulling all this over though, I have to admit I'm probably going to do nothing right this moment unless something happens to me lol

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarhead5811 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:12 pm

I like the idea of having something that would shoot the most common calibers but I'm concentrating on a few:

Primarily: .40S&W, 5.56(&.223), 7.62x39, 12ga and of course .22LR.

Secondarily: 7.62x54R, .30-'06, .300 Win Mag & 20ga.

Jarhead5811
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sand_man on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:25 pm

I have 2 handgun calibers now and want to add more. Next will be either a 22 or a 38/357!

sand_man
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by speedyrev on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:27 pm

The 9mm ammo availability is obviously a myth. A little scare and it's just as hard to find as any other. It is cheaper to shoot though.

speedyrev
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:41 am

right now the only ammo I have actually been able to consistently find is the oddball calibers. The most I have seen is .327magnum.

What that tells me is very few people own that gun and very few will have that caliber in their house. The availability of ammo in a SHTF scenario doesn't exactly apply to walking into bass pro shops and buying it. Most people are refering to the fact that there will be mass casualties, looting, death, despair and destruction. In that case those bullets we can't find now will be stockpiled in housed.
As I've often heard you need to include a 30-30 in your planning because everybody owns one. Even if they don't own a gun they have one in their closet with a few boxes of bullets. I beleive this because I don't own a 30-30 and I still have 2 boxes of bullets in my closet. I don't exactly condone the 30-30 but you get the idea having a .223, 7.62X39, 308, 30-06 in the closet and a few common caliber pistols will take you a long way.

I have the Glock 35 and bought a lone wolf 40 barrel to shoot lead and a lone wolf 40-9 conversion barrel to basically give me 2 guns. With a glock all you need is the barrel and mags.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by justjoe on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:46 pm

If possible have both. THe reason I like .45 for SHTF is because ball 9mm isn't that great but 230grain ball .45 will get the job done. Basically if you run out of good SD stuff and are down to ball your still ok.

justjoe
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:15 pm

ScottW wrote:I agree with keeping multiple calibers, but a Glock 40 or .357 Sig can easily be converted to a 9mm or 40 or .357 with a conversion barrel, but a 9mm Glock cannot be due to the smaller barrel diameter. So my suggestion would be buy a Glock 40 and buy a conversion barrel, as well as magazine followers, the only difference in the 9mm and 40 magazine....

Best all around answer IMHO .... Got a Glock 22 with conversion barrel .... the best of both worlds ...

"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

"Then, Sir, we shall give them the bayonet" Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:23 pm

captain-03 wrote:
ScottW wrote:I agree with keeping multiple calibers, but a Glock 40 or .357 Sig can easily be converted to a 9mm or 40 or .357 with a conversion barrel, but a 9mm Glock cannot be due to the smaller barrel diameter. So my suggestion would be buy a Glock 40 and buy a conversion barrel, as well as magazine followers, the only difference in the 9mm and 40 magazine....

Best all around answer IMHO .... Got a Glock 22 with conversion barrel .... the best of both worlds ...

Okay, i have actually thought about that BUT I do have a few questions about that. Mainly how is the accuracy and reliability affected by that?

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by oO_Rogue_Oo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:42 am

I would say see if a friend will loan you a 9mm to go to the range with and shoot it. Then pick whichever one you (or your mom / sister) shoot best with.

You mentioned 223 in one of your posts; if you own one then stock up on that ammo primarily. In a SHTF situation it will be the best barter material. Also in a SHTF situation you'll use your rifle a lot more than your handgun IMHO

To quote Col Jeff Cooper "a handgun is just something to use until you can get a real gun"

On a side note; and this is not from personal experiance so take it with a grain of salt (do your own research) I've heard of people having ejection issues running a 9mm barrel in a 40 glock. Seems a shame to me to turn a 99 or 100% reliable glock into even a 98% reliable glock; but hey I'm just silly that way

oO_Rogue_Oo
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyace85 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:55 am

I have all the common calibers but shoot 9 the most. I look a it like this. Buy guns and ammo that the government and military issue. They have a lot more than anyone else. I guess I should take my own advise and buy a glock but I like my springers.

crazyace85
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Spent Brass on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:03 pm

If you are limited to just one handgun at the moment because of finances, then the best thing to think about is which caliber will best meet your current needs. Planning for SHTF scenarios can wait, what do you need a handgun to do for you right now? If the .45 will do it, then stick with it. If it won't, then buy something that will.

Spent Brass
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:07 pm

oO_Rogue_Oo wrote:I would say see if a friend will loan you a 9mm to go to the range with and shoot it. Then pick whichever one you (or your mom / sister) shoot best with.

You mentioned 223 in one of your posts; if you own one then stock up on that ammo primarily. In a SHTF situation it will be the best barter material. Also in a SHTF situation you'll use your rifle a lot more than your handgun IMHO

To quote Col Jeff Cooper "a handgun is just something to use until you can get a real gun"

On a side note; and this is not from personal experiance so take it with a grain of salt (do your own research) I've heard of people having ejection issues running a 9mm barrel in a 40 glock. Seems a shame to me to turn a 99 or 100% reliable glock into even a 98% reliable glock; but hey I'm just silly that way

I have shot a 9mm and quite enjoy it. I own a 5.56 AR. I have ammo for it but finding that is ridiculous and even if I do find it, I usually don't have the cash for it. I agree that you use a pistol to fight your way to a rifle but generally I don't conceal carry my AR lol If I could I would! I will definitely look into the reliability of the conversion barrels!
One last thing: When the hell did my girlfriend become my sister? I know its the south but jeez... lol

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:08 pm

crazyace85 wrote:I have all the common calibers but shoot 9 the most. I look a it like this. Buy guns and ammo that the government and military issue. They have a lot more than anyone else. I guess I should take my own advise and buy a glock but I like my springers.

Exactly my thoughts

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PhillipM on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Micah wrote:

1. In a SHTF/WROL situation (I pray every night that this never happens) I would think that 9mm ammo would be more abundant.

You are also assuming someone will sell you their ammo in a SHTF situation.

PhillipM
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 pm

PhillipM wrote:
Micah wrote:

1. In a SHTF/WROL situation (I pray every night that this never happens) I would think that 9mm ammo would be more abundant.

You are also assuming someone will sell you their ammo in a SHTF situation.

No Sir, I'm assuming that I outlived other people.

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt51 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:02 pm

nonnieselman wrote:
Ive got 2 .40's, a 45acp, and a 44mag. So i need another 45 to keep the other company

But really i just want one so i can have a good platform to suppress

+1, picked up a nice Sig Tacops 1911 with threaded barrel and have plans for a suppressor down the road. Personally I'd hate to limit myself to one caliber for reasons stated above. I gave up on 9mm not long ago for my own reasons and stick to .40 and .45 autos. I really like 1911's, but also own an XDm 40 that I will probably pick up a 9mm barrel, lighter sping, and a few mags for just in case. Carry sidearm of choice is an M&P .40 Shield. Everything is a compromise, just get real good shooting whatever you've got.

Consider this...if you handed a Navy SEAL any sidearm he would just go out and take care of business in the same proficient way, regardless. You wouldn't hear him say anything about a 9mm not having enough knockdown power, or a 45 having too much kick. Double tap and one to the forehead and it's game over...more often than not, it's just one to the forehead.

Walt51
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe S. on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Planning for SHTF...

Sell both 45acp's
With money from one, buy 9mm and as much ammo as you can.

With money from the other, buy canned goods. lol

Joe S.
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe S. on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:09 pm

I aint gonna lie, i'll be in a mess. All i have is lever guns, single shots, and single actions... Lol

I'll have to come to some of ya'll's houses and offer backup or at least stand there and load mags. Lol

I like my 30-30's but im not sure i wouldnt prefer a pistol caliber carbine. They hold more ammo, are shorter, and usually seem to be quicker to operate. Talkin bout lever guns, of course.

Joe S.
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:10 pm

In a SHTF/WROL situation, if you live long enough, you'll be able to replace them lol.

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tek500 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:04 am

In that use a good 22 would be my choice quiet accurate and ammo is easy to carry by the bunches. A ruger MKIII is a awesome little gun in my opinion and a everyday shooter that everyone has. In a SHTF world long range won't be a nesissity ammo and plenty of it and ability to carry it will mean a lot more.

tek500
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Well after several months of thinking, I have decided to switch to 9mm. I will trading away my 45 ACPs for 9mm. I will be posting the trade in the appropriate forum within the next several days.

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gale B on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:19 pm

You'll be sorry.

Gale B
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by colonelz on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Bigger is better!

colonelz
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tgun6542 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:57 pm

Why sell the 45's? Just buy a nine to go with it.

tgun6542
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Vick on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:21 pm

If I run out of .45 I'll go to .357's, then to .38's, then to .22's. But I'll start with .223's and 12ga.'s, then go thru about 10 rifle callibers and a couple more shotgun guages before I'll even get to the handguns if the SHTF. Keep what you've got and add as you can afford to. Smile 

Vick
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JKtruck150 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:12 am

Diversity is key. I currently have only one caliber (9mm). Currently, I can find .40 S&W everywhere. Sucks to be me.

I plan on having multiple calibers vs a single one.

JKtruck150
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JKtruck150 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:14 am

Micah wrote:Well after several months of thinking, I have decided to switch to 9mm. I will trading away my 45 ACPs for 9mm. I will be posting the trade in the appropriate forum within the next several days.

Just read this. Trade one if you must, but don't trade them all....

JKtruck150
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rmse9 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:09 pm

I have many different guns in many different calibers. My favorites are 45 ACP, 10 MM, 357mag/38 special. I have owned several 9 MM's over the years and I will probably catch flack for this comment, but I just do not like their stopping power and prefer larger calibers so I do not now own one. Of the 3 mentioned, I have multiple guns in those calibers.

rmse9
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:38 pm

Offer has been posted in the Sale/Trade section

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top