Switching to another caliber

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Switching to another caliber

Post by Micah on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Okay, so I would like to ask the opinion of some of the more experienced shooters, preppers, and all-around-bad-asses on this forum.
I love my guns with a passion. I especially love my .45 ACP handguns (Glock 21 and a XDS) HOWEVER I have begun to feel that as much as I love the .45 I think that switching to 9mm would be more advantageous. Here are my reasons (please argue, for or against, these):

1. In a SHTF/WROL situation (I pray every night that this never happens) I would think that 9mm ammo would be more abundant. Also Glock 9mm parts and mags would kinda be a dime a dozen.
2. Several friends and family members primary handguns are 9mm
3. My mother and girlfriend aren't to keen on the .45's kick.

So I ask: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Thanks!

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Switching to another caliber

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:40 pm

If you are confident in your ability to shoot quickly and accurately caliber will matter much less. If you aren't confident in your ability caliber is irrelevant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Yeah, that seems to be the number one response across the competent part of the online gun community. I do need more practice but I can't say that I am to bad with accuracy. lol

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:12 am

I sold off all of mine to get 1 caliber and stockpile it. Then I got a raise and realized that was a stupid idea. If I ran out I would be limited to 1 caliber. Si I bought a bunch of them.

9mm, 40, 45, 44, 357. Looking to get conversion barrels for Glock 45 to 10mm maybe then get some exotics.

Get what you can afford to feed. If your family needs 9mm get it if you can afford it.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:16 am

Well I would honestly love to be able to afford multiple calibers but I can barely afford the one I have lol!
.22, .38/.357, .45, .223
I would like to add a 12 gauge and a large caliber rifle but student loans are coming due!

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarhead5811 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:21 am

I haven't done it yet but I plan to get a .22lr adapter, 9mm barrel and .357Sig barrel for my Glock 22 and 27. I'm also thinking about picking up a Glock 21SF and getting a 10mm barrel for it but that'll be after many other no cool things get taken care of.

Jarhead5811
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirak on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:59 am

3) only in MS is it legal for your mother and girlfriend to be the same person! Jk

That aside, don't for one second assume that glock parts and mags will be a dime a dozen. The situation you are preparing for hasn't even happened and look at the scarcity of it already. Can you find mags and parts right now? Sure. Can you find them in every single store or website you look at? Nope...same will hold true during the SHTF situation...

Just my two cents

Smirak
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Eaglestroker on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:16 am

I think that diversity is the spice of life. Point and case is I have two calibers in particular I can still go buy ammo for. It was expensive before so its still expensive now it's the availability that matters. If you were moving to one platform conversion barrels and mags seem like a solid choice.

BigRobsGunleather

Joe S. wrote:...... A 45/70 winchester is the supreme choice.

Eaglestroker
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

http://bigrobsgunleather.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scsonarc on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:26 am

I wouldn't think that 9mm would be any more abundant than 45 during an SHTF situation.

scsonarc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:04 am

I'm a multi-caliber fan, and practice/carry with as many different ones as I can.

As far as availability during shtf, look at the availability now. The ammo is out there somewhere, but it isn't easy to find. That means someone personally has it and you won't find it at a store (doubt there'd be stores for some time during shtf).

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jakeg823 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 am

I'd say you're looking at it wrong. If you're really thinking of shtf then, to me, logic would dictate you would want a variety of available weapons so that you can use any amount of ammunition in whatever caliber you come across. You don't want to limit yourself.

I shoot primarily 9mm and .45, but also bought a .357 and .44 right before the panic set in.

I'd go buy a Glock 17 or 19 if your mom and sister can handle them well enough, if not then explore some of the other wonder 9s. It's worth the extra enjoyment at the range for them and the confidence at home if its needed.

My wife prefers to shoot her Ruger SP101 with .38s loaded in it and keeps .357s in it for carry. She's never once complained about the kick of the .38, nor has she ever had a problem with my Browning Hi-Power or my Glock 26. Have your mom and girlfriend try your revolver out.

jakeg823
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by O.S.O.K. on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:39 am

I would suggest adding 40 S&W rather than switching to 9mm. Keep the 45's and get a 40 - the .gov uses 40 now, not 9mm and I've seen more 40 than anything else during the panic - if that's any indication.

I personally have a variety - no matter what caliber is available, I'll have a gun to shoot it Smile I was missing 40 S&W so fixed that with a used XD40.

O.S.O.K.
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBasic on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:19 am

Variety is the spice of life. I suggest several calibers, and stock up. I didn't get my 5.56/.223 till about 4 weeks ago. I don't have Homeland Security numbers of rounds, but getting there. 9, 40, 5.56, 243, 7.62, 12 ga., 380- ammo I stocked up on the past 30 years. What I really want is a feeder belt for .410. The squirrels would be scared then.

SuperBasic
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_k on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:22 am

O.S.O.K. wrote:I would suggest adding 40 S&W rather than switching to 9mm. Keep the 45's and get a 40 - the .gov uses 40 now, not 9mm and I've seen more 40 than anything else during the panic - if that's any indication.

I personally have a variety - no matter what caliber is available, I'll have a gun to shoot it Smile I was missing 40 S&W so fixed that with a used XD40.

I was just about the type the same thing. Thanks for saving me the typing! thumbs up

chris_k
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by fastarrow on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 pm

I own 3 handguns. All 3 are .45acp. That way when I buy ammo (when I can find it) I can stock up on one caliber. I would rather have 4 or 5 thousand rounds of 45acp than a thousand of this and a couple thousand of that. It's just easier for me to grab and go.

fastarrow
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gutdoc on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:24 pm

You want to keep the women in your life happy and enjoying shooting, and You have overlap of 9mm's with other friends and family. So I agree with jake823, sell the 45 you like the least and grab a Glock 19 or 17. IMO The availability of 40 S&W ammo was strictly less demand at the onset of this buying frenzy.

gutdoc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottW on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm

I agree with keeping multiple calibers, but a Glock 40 or .357 Sig can easily be converted to a 9mm or 40 or .357 with a conversion barrel, but a 9mm Glock cannot be due to the smaller barrel diameter. So my suggestion would be buy a Glock 40 and buy a conversion barrel, as well as magazine followers, the only difference in the 9mm and 40 magazine....

ScottW
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nonnieselman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Ive been looking for a Glock 21... lemme know when you want to sell it Very Happy

Ive got 2 .40's, a 45acp, and a 44mag. So i need another 45 to keep the other company

But really i just want one so i can have a good platform to suppress

Last edited by nonnieselman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

nonnieselman
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gutdoc on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:54 pm

That was where I was a heading too!

gutdoc
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Micah on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:24 pm

Wow... Thank you all for the opinions/responses! I really appreciate them all!
I would like to add one thing: I just graduated college and I have been unable to get a job. Hell, even Target turned me down because I am "over qualified". Anyway, I cant really afford to go get conversion barrels, let alone another handgun. If I do get rid of my 45s it will be for a direct trade for an equivalent 9mm trade. Oh, the "dime a dozen" comment was said because my city and all the surrounding cities police officers carry Glocks in 9mm.

Micah
Full Poster
Full Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top