What do you grow in your garden for sustenance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do you grow in your garden for sustenance

Post by drmadison78 on Mon May 27, 2013 8:14 am

Hey guys, about to get my garden in the ground, hope it's not to late in the season. But I was wondering, tomatoes and cucumbers are great, but won't get you through a food shortage. So what if anything do others plant as a staple crop and how do you preserve it and how easy is it to grow?

drmadison78
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you grow in your garden for sustenance

Post by sand_man on Mon May 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Corn, okra, and peas are good. All of them can be put up fresh and frozen or you can can the okra and peas. Corn can be frozen in the shucks.

sand_man
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by drmadison78 on Mon May 27, 2013 11:51 pm

That's good, i'm wanting to plant peas but my wife doesn't think the yield would be worth the space since we're just doing a small container garden. What about potatoes and grains like wheat or oats?

drmadison78
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sand_man on Tue May 28, 2013 5:06 am

A few hills of potatoes would yeild enough to eat but not put up. Wheat or oats are not something I would raise in a small space as the yeild would not be worth it. You can plant both sweet corn and field corn if you have enough space and get let the field corn dry on the stalk and get it ground into meal or grits.

Beans, such as butterbeans would be good too.

sand_man
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by edm on Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am

We do beans every year and freeze the extras. Also canned lots of jalapenos. I have lots of food supplies put up so the peppers would help spice them up.

edm
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. 10/22 on Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Grains aren't worthwhile unless you are wanting to maintain a seed bank. They can be bought cheaper than grown on a garden scale.

Legumes, beans and such, are nice because they fix their own nitrogen so require minimal fertilizer and may leave nitrogen for next crop. some varieties can be poled and reach 6-8' in height out of a container.

Any cucurbits (i.e., cucumbers, squash, and the like) are easy to grow. Some of the hardier squash can be kept for months after harvest.

Beets, turnips, parsnips, carrots, and rutabaga can be container grown and stored for some time. Other Brassicas like cabbages, kale, and the like are good cool season options in the fall or early spring.

Asparagus is actually a perennial that will produce for years once you start it.

A simple greenhouse space in our climate can keep you in fresh produce much of the winter and minimize how much you need to put up.

Blueberry and Blackberry bushes make reasonably attractive ornamental shrubbery that provides edible goods, too.

Dr. 10/22
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by drmadison78 on Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 pm

So, you can't make grits from sweet corn, I didn't know that. You're right about the grain Doc, our food co-op has whole red wheat for about .89 cents a lbs. How much would I have to plant in beans to have a good yield to put up? My wife thinks we would need several rows and that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

drmadison78
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. 10/22 on Tue May 28, 2013 5:20 pm

I depends on the size of your containers and, sorry for this, the size of your pole. It would not be unreasonable for a single stalk to produce a quart of beans during a season, maybe more. They are an indeterminate plant type so as long as you keep picking, it will continue to produce. If you are doing in the ground. A 6 to 8 foot long trellis that is 4-6 feet tall would probably justify canning. Two of them certainly would. This is for fresh beans for canning or pickling. Dry beans are like grains, cheaper at the store than the labor you would put into them.

Dr. 10/22
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by fastback65 on Wed May 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Don't forget greens, Kale, Collards, Mustard, Turnips, all will extend the growing season and provide lots of vitamins. I am particular to Kale and Collards. They all will do well in a container garden.

fastback65
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

http://prepperhaven.com

Back to top Go down

Post by drmadison78 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:15 pm

I finally got everything planted.

drmadison78
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down