powder coating cast bullets.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

powder coating cast bullets.

Post by BigDaddyQ on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:02 pm

I saw a very interesting thread on blktalk. http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=83968

Anybody considered it or tried it? I'd like to give it a try only thing is seems like they all complain the acetone method leaves them textured. I have a powder coater and the important issue is they need to "flow out" to prevent texture and probably would be better if they were stood on end. Let me know if anyone tried this.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: powder coating cast bullets.

Post by canebreaker on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:56 pm

If fly is lubing with alox, how does the powder paint stick to the bullet??

canebreaker
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:07 pm

From what I read some size first then dip in acetone mixed with powder let acetone dry off then heat treat. Then it really differs as some resize and lube and some don't lube at all. This post is really a question about weather anyone is doing it here or not. I may try it with the cast bullets I just bought because the accuracy is bad with them and I think they are sized a little small. Since Knave powder laying around I could try it out. Just heed an old oven. You DO NOT want to eat anything from an oven that has been powder coating.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:12 pm

What about a $20 toaster oven from great wal of china mart?

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Might work.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Are you talking about moly-coated bullets? Bel has played with moly-coated lead bullets for handguns.

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:11 pm

...been reading about that. I powder coat small parts all the time with my Harbor Freight device. Never coated boolits, but I'm game if someone wants to test some.

Edit: I've got black gloss, matte black, white, silver, pink, and maroon powder.

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:14 pm

If somebody buys the material i will do some with cerakotes self lubing coating, do not reload right now or i would buy some to try for this. Brownells makes a spray and bake teflon moly coating too, that one would be interesting i think.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:53 am

This thread is about powder coating not molt. Seems from the other thread harbor freight powder works better than expensive powder. I may try it too

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:44 am

What do you see as an advantage to doing this?

Also, I would have some question about coating them and THEN sizing them. Seems like you may wish to size, THEN coat -- you will loss some of the coating in the sizing process??

"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

"Then, Sir, we shall give them the bayonet" Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by canebreaker on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Fly is on the tngo, lives around Knoxville. Short distance, plan a trip to see him and his set ups.

canebreaker
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Captain aparently this powder is so strong sizing them does not result in loss of coating. Even after firing into something and recovering the bullet the coating is still intact. I "think" the purpose of this is because somebody makes a nice 220gr mold and another 247gr mold. The thinking is you could cast then powder and use them subsonic in a suppressor. Again this is all new to me but If anyone is willing to try it with me I'll give it a go. I'd like to do it in my 9mm cast bullets and NOT resize them so they may end up a little thicker and make my accuracy a little better. They are sized 355 and if this coating could increase that to 356 it might help accuracy.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:21 pm

Will someone in the know please post the process used to powder-coat things. This sounds interesting.............

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:26 pm

SubGunFan wrote:Will someone in the know please post the process used to powder-coat things. This sounds interesting.............

I'm not a professional powder coater, but I'll post some pics the next time I coat something. (probably tomorrow or next Saturday)

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:35 am

Sub I powder coated almost every single exterior engine piece of my SCCA car. It was a RX7. To do it the way it was invented you clip an electrode on to the metal part. On items with a hole in it you can hang them on a metal hook and put the electrode on the hook. Then you spray the powder through a gun that has a long "barrel"/tube that electronically charges the powder. The powder is sprayed at low velocity and low pressure it floats through the air and "sticks" to the part. Then you carefully put the part in an oven and back it according to the specific powder's instructions. I did a blue anodize with sparkles on my engine pulley and they required 400F for 20 minutes then a slow 1 hour cool down time to cure it. Clear powder required much less heat but a longer cool time. From my experience the cool time is what makes the powder look good. My first few attempts I got them out of the oven after the 20min heat time and they all "frosted" but with experience I had a super sweet looking engine. It looked so dang good I'm sure the guy who stole it had no idea what all was done to it.

As far as bullets are concerned the link I posted had a guy who mixed the powder in acetone to get it to a liquid form. He then rolled the bullets in the liquid and let the acteone evaporate leaving the powder on the bullet. He then baked them in the oven.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:56 am

Big DQ, thanks for the powder coating lesson. Thinking about the materials used, I wonder if the powder coating will be bad on the barrel? A build-up of powder coating causing accuracy to suffer.....

Dipping lead bullets and oven drying them doesn't sound like too much extra work. I guess details like how to handle "wet" bullets, dried bullets possibly sticking to the tray, the wet powder coating mix providing a uniformly thick coating, what colors to use Smile, etc. will have to be worked out. I am still interested......

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:24 pm

If I had a hollow point mold, then I'd build a peg board to coat them. That way I could coat the bottom. Seems like I've loaded some plated bullets that had the lead exposed on the base and they were fine so maybe coating the bottom isn't that big of a deal.

Maybe if they are gas-checked anyway, the bottom coating wouldn't matter?

When I powder coat stuff and some parts need to be masked, i use silicone tape because it is heat resistant. Maybe a silicone pad (silpat) like bakers use would be good. It could line the pan so that the boolits don't stick to the pan during baking.

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDaddyQ on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:13 pm

Miker we think so much alike. I was trying to come up with a way to stand them on end such as with a hollow point and pegs. I even came up with using metal pegs on a sheet of metal. Then charging the whole sheet and actually spraying them instead of the acetone dip. From the other thread these guys will actually color code their rounds. Subs one color, supers another. That sure does sound interesting to me.

BigDaddyQ
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top