2013 LEOSA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2013 LEOSA

Post by bbenea on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:52 pm

Anyone heard any news regarding the 2013 amendment to the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) regarding retired military police and how we can get qualified here in MS? I know the DoD has yet to finalize 5525.12.

bbenea
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Re"

Post by jason39194 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:28 am

From http://lawenforcementtoday.com/2013/05/06/leosa-bill-%E2%80%93-act-now/

The LEOSA had been amended twice since it was enacted in 2004.  On October 12, 2010, the LEOSA was amended by the “Law Enforcement Safety Improvement Act of 2010” and again on January 2, 2013, as amended by the “National Defense Authorization Act of 2013”.  The amendments were enacted to clarify and redefine qualifications under the law and resolved conflicts with State laws specifically relating to the type of ammunition allowed.  The amendment allowed active and qualified retired law enforcement officers under the LEOSA the right to carry any ammunition not otherwise banned by Federal law.  The law now allows members to carry hollow point bullets in states, such as New Jersey, where they are otherwise prohibited.
Due to recent violence resulting in many significant changes in individual state laws specifically relating to magazine ammunition capacity, an amendment to the LEOSA is again needed.   The amendment would allow active and qualified retired law enforcement officers the right to carry any standard capacity ammunition magazine not otherwise banned by Federal law.
Without these amendments, the men and women authorized under the LEOSA would face criminal prosecution as a result of laws passed by individual states.  These amendments are necessary in order to preserve the intended purpose of the “Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2004”.
A petition to amend the “Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2004” has been created on the White House Petition page (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions).  The petition can be searched using the following key words: HR218, LEOSA, Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act, Right to Carry or any variation.  If this petition gets 100,000 signatures by May 24, 2013, the White House will review it and respond.  We believe this petition is in the best interest of all active and retired LEOs, as well as the nation as a whole.  Kindly assist by spreading the message in order to obtain the needed signatures for the Obama Administration to consider the petition.

jason39194

Back to top Go down

RE:

Post by jason39194 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:31 am

From http://beta.congress.gov/bill/112th-congress/house-bill/4310/text

SEC. 1089. AMENDMENTS TO LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER SAFETY PROVISIONS OF
TITLE 18.
Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended--
(1) in section 926B--
(A) in subsection (c)(1), by inserting ``or apprehension
under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article
7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice)'' after
``arrest'';
(B) in subsection (d), by striking ``as a law enforcement
officer'' and inserting ``that identifies the employee as a
police officer or law enforcement officer of the agency''; and
(C) in subsection (f), by inserting ``or apprehension under
section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of
the Uniform Code of Military Justice)'' after ``arrest''; and
(2) in section 926C--
(A) in subsection (c)(2), by inserting ``or apprehension
under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article
7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice)'' after
``arrest''; and
(B) in subsection (d)--
(i) in paragraph (1), by striking ``that indicates''
and inserting ``that identifies the person as having been
employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer and
indicates''; and
(ii) in paragraph (2)(A), by inserting ``that
identifies the person as having been employed as a police
officer or law enforcement officer'' after ``officer''.

jason39194

Back to top Go down

Re: 2013 LEOSA

Post by bbenea on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:55 am

Thanks but I guess I didn't get specific enough with my original question, I was really just needing to know if anyone had any inside info on the DoD revision to DoDi 5525.12. Once that is revised the services will be able to revise their individual instructions and issue retired military police credentials required by the act. Then it would just be a matter of annual qualification. BTW I searched for the petition mentioned above and it is nowhere to be found must have expired...

bbenea
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top