Got My Lyman 4500 Lube-Sizer Setup......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Got My Lyman 4500 Lube-Sizer Setup......

Post by SubGunFan on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:15 pm

I have been shopping on Amazon for the past 2 weeks gathering all this stuff.  So tonight I decided to mount the sizer so I can work with it this weekend. 

Around the 1st of June I used M1GF's 4500 to size & lube some 30cal bullets, and got HOOKED.  Yes, I have 3 Star lube-sizers, but going back to the basics and wanting to cast more rifle bullets appealed to me.  True, the Lyman and RCBS sizers are slower, but they can do more (ie: gaschecks) and are faster (and cheaper) to change dies and adjust.  I had an RCBS sizer many many years ago when I started casting.  But trying to feed my competition handguns and SMGs, that RCBS sizer and 2 & 4 cavity molds didn't cut it.  That was when I upgraded to a Star sizer and gang molds. 

Tonight I used some of Bel's 335gr 44cal bullets to setup the 4500.  The first bullet got stuck in the die and I had to remove the die and hammer that bullet out.  But I did that before any lube reached the die which was MY BAD.....  The first lubed bullet had black oil mixed with the lube in one groove, but that was from the protective oil Lyman puts in the sizers.  All other bullets so far are looking GOOD.  Tomorrow I will sizer a bunch more. 

Also in my Amazon shopping, I picked up 2 LEE molds.  One is a 2C 450gr 45-70 bullet and one is a 2C 175gr 8mm bullet w/ gascheck.  Captain, if you are reading this post..... do 30cal gaschecks work with 8mm bullets?  I know 30cal gaschecks are good for .312 bullets, but what about .323 bullets? 

And still pending (but shipped today) from Amazon....  I ordered a LEE 6C 310gr 44cal w/ gascheck mold.  When ordered last week, the Amazon ad stated 3-5 weeks to ship.  I didn't mind because I wanted that 6C mold.  The "shipping" text message this morning was good news. 

Last edited by SubGunFan on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : DANG typos.....)

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Got My Lyman 4500 Lube-Sizer Setup......

Post by cranedriver on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:20 pm

SubGunFan wrote:

And still pending (but shipped today) from Amazon....  I ordered a LEE 6C 310gr 44cal w/ gascheck mold.  When ordered last week, the Amazon ad stated 3-5 weeks to ship.  I didn't mind because I wanted that 6C mold.  The "shipping" text message this morning was good news. 

That mold by far is my favorite mold that Lee puts out. I love my Lyman 4500 as well. I still need to order the heating element as mine didn't come with one, been using the wife's hair dryer to get the lube flowing. Great looking set-up you will be amazed at the amount of top punches you will accumulate.

cranedriver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cranedriver on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Oh and I hope you haven't used the Super Moly tube of lube that is some messy stuff.

cranedriver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:42 pm

cranedriver wrote:Oh and I hope you haven't used the Super Moly tube of lube that is some messy stuff.
No, because I opened and looked at it and it was a SOFT lube.  That stick of moly came with the 4500.  The Lyman Orange Magic is a hard lube that requires heat.  I would have used some of my Rooster or Thompson or other hard lubes, but they are all solid sticks used in Stars.  I need to start shopping for good lubes in hollow sticks.............. Smile

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cranedriver on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:10 pm

I use caranuba red in the hollow sticks, no worries if you have a stock pile of solid sticks you can melt them and pour them into the Lyman and let cool works just fine.

cranedriver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:29 pm

cranedriver wrote:I use caranuba red in the hollow sticks, no worries if you have a stock pile of solid sticks you can melt them and pour them into the Lyman and let cool works just fine.
I might try that as I have a bunch of solid sticks of the good stuff. Or find a hollow stick mold setup so I can make multiple sticks.

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tek4260 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:37 am

You may want to look into getting a flat nose punch as it can be used on just about any handgun round. One nose punch works on all my bullets, plus it helps by allowing the bullet to slide into alignment once the ram develops slop.

http://www.msgunowners.com/t26442-the-problem-with-a-lyman-4500-mine-at-least

Also, sizing in a Lee push through helps as well

tek4260
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cottondoctor on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:15 am

SubGunFan - Looks good....like you I progressed through several lub-sizers and ended up with the Lyman- I had 2 of them and have sold one.  The old one I have is Lyman orange.  Something you may (most likely will) consider in the future is the little warmer plate that mounts under the lube sizer......a great addition.

cottondoctor
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:06 pm

CottonDoc, I bought the version of 4500 that includes an internal heater (see black wire running out of the base).  However, the heater is ALL on or off, so you have unplug it when the unit gets too warm.  A variable control like the Stars would be nice..........  The heating unit looks like a blasting cap and goes into a hole in the base.  It does a good job of heating the unit. 

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by M1GarandFan on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:49 pm

I can attest to that. I wish it did have some type of temp control, but it works well enough.

M1GarandFan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cottondoctor on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Just shows you how out of touch I am -- LOL.  mine is a plate that mounts between the sizer and the bench.  The warmer really comes in handy with the use of the magnum type red and blue lubes.  I generally do not like to"size" bullets - just use a sizer die that the as cast bullets slide into and forces the lube in the groves smoothly.
For my heavy 45 cal bullets (470 to 500 grain) I use in black powder cartridge rifles,  I pan lube.  The bullets for black powder are relatively soft and a squeezer-greaser can distort them very easily.  For those I either use SPG lube or my 1:1 mixture of  beeswax : avocado oil applied by pan lube method.
I was surprised when you said your  Sharps clone would not let you seat the bullets long.  generally Sharps and Sharps clones have a long throat as black powder bullets are generally big and have to be seated out to allow space for powder.

Last edited by cottondoctor on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

cottondoctor
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:36 pm

CottonDoc, I guess my Italian Sharps has a short throat.  The MSGOer I bought it from was going to use it for BPRC competition, but never got started.  He was a junior shooter in the olds days of Hi-Power matches and went to Camp Perry.  I think he said he shot in the Whistler Boys match with one other Mississippi junior. 

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by canebreaker on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:44 pm

I wonder if a dimmer switch would control the heat.

canebreaker
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:25 pm

canebreaker wrote:I wonder if a dimmer switch would control the heat.
I don't think a dimmer switch is the way to go.  My RCBS pots and Star heating elements all use a thermostat to turn the units FULL on or off. 

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Dan, something like this should work ... http://www.amazon.com/Camco-07733-Extended-Heater-Thermostat/dp/B000BQUJ54/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1378776637&sr=8-13&keywords=water+heater+thermostat

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:52 pm

Rw wrote:Dan, something like this should work ... http://www.amazon.com/Camco-07733-Extended-Heater-Thermostat/dp/B000BQUJ54/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1378776637&sr=8-13&keywords=water+heater+thermostat

But where does the sensor probe go....?  I can't tell if that unit includes a probe. 

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Its just a rheostat, there is no sensor. Just adjust it by "feel".
I think home depot may have one with a sensor, seem to remember some kind of kit back in plumbing from my days there.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by canebreaker on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:27 pm

That's a flat surface mount Thermostat like on some electric water heaters. The sensor is on the back, feels the cooler water of the tank to turn the element on.

canebreaker
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubGunFan on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:46 pm

This is mainly to report to Doggoner so he doesn't think I forgot about him (from his letter that came with the 8mm gas checks and bullets). 

First, the 8mm bullet project.  This one is on HOLD for now.  The reason being is I can't get the Lyman 4500 gas check seater do-dad to work.  It will not allow the bullet to go deep enough to seat the check.  I tried both 8mm and 44cal bullets.  Today I ordered a LEE .323 push-through sizer to seat checks.  I can take the do-dad off and seat checks, but there is not enough resistance to ensure the checks is seated square. 

Second, the 44cal bullet project.  Since I do have a LEE .430 push-through sizer, tonight I checked, sized and lubed 40 LEE 310gr 44cal bullets.  Ready to go they weigh 305gr.  Not as big as Bel's big bad boys, but I have a 6C mold to make them..... Smile  Tonight I loaded the 40 bullets with 15.5gr of 2400.  Tonight was the first time I have loaded 44 Mag on a single-stage press in a LONG time (decades).  It was FUN...... Smile 

Doggoner, I will try to get some pictures posted tomorrow night.  Your letter asked for pictures...... Smile

Last edited by SubGunFan on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)

SubGunFan
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Just put the sizing die in the unit .... place the gascheck into the sizing die ... place unsized boolit on top of gascheck ... size boolit!! Gas check should be seated ...... Never never used a gas check seater ....

"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

"Then, Sir, we shall give them the bayonet" Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

captain-03

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top