Powder Coating Lead Bullets

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Powder Coating Lead Bullets

Post by rigrat on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Who here powder coats there lead bullets? Does it really eliminate the lead fouling of the bores? And what would one need to buy to get stated in powder coating their own lead bullets.?

rigrat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Powder Coating Lead Bullets

Post by canebreaker on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:44 pm

I hope this link works.
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/pouring-painting-jigheads/

There is a bunch of guys there that powder coat jig heads so maybe you can find some help there. There is a suppliers link in there too.

canebreaker
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Have read a couple things about it; however, I just do not see the need .... good alloy, boolit fit, and appropriate lube does the trick -- at least for me.  If you do not have a good boolit fit and coat 'em, it MAY prevent some leading but I would think accuracy would then become an issue???

If you do it, let us know the results!!

Last edited by captain-03 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

"Then, Sir, we shall give them the bayonet" Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rigrat on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks for the links canebreaker will check them out.

captian-03, what i've read so far says it eliminates the leading and allows you to push them faster.

Thinking about getting into it if I can find enough positive info on it. And was hoping a few on here had tried it before.

rigrat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:28 pm

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?87768-lead-bullets-coated-with-polymer-paint

"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:30 pm

http://www.bayoubullets.net/products.html

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by rigrat on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Just got done with a read on castboolits 7 pages worth.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?209151-Powder-Coating-101-Electrostatic-Method&highlight=powder+coating

Will read the one you posted in a bit eyes are tired now, LOL.

From what I read though I think I am going to price out everything I would need and see what the start up cost would be. It is definitely interesting to me.

Looks like one would need.

1-Powder coating gun and compressor
2-Air nozzle
3-Powder
4-Acetone or other no residue solvent
5-Nitrile gloves
6-400f Oven (toaster oven or better)
7-Oven tray or jig
8-bullet sizer

rigrat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellis93 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:51 pm

I ain't reading seven pages Smile but the first one is enough to make me want to do it.

I do wonder how come they don't stand the bullets on end and coat the bottoms instead of the tips? Wonder how much farther you could push the lead with the base coated? Maybe it would act as a sort of light duty gas check,maybe not?

Ellis93
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rigrat on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:31 pm

They talk like it pretty much does away with the leading. But I am like you I would set mine on the tips and powder coat the bottom and sides. That is what the rifling and the hot gasses come into contact with.

rigrat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:06 pm

e&cauto wrote:I ain't reading seven pages :)but the first one is enough to make me want to do it.

I do wonder how come they don't stand the bullets on end and coat the bottoms instead of the tips? Wonder how much farther you could push the lead with the base coated? Maybe it would act as a sort of light duty gas check,maybe not?
Leading does not usually come from the base of the boolit.  Just think about it.  Many jacketed factory pistol/revolver bullets have a open lead base and the lead is almost pure.  At the velocity the bullet is pushed from the barrel, the hot gases do not stay in contact with the bullet base for very long - not long enough to melt the lead base.  Most leading (streaking) is caused by poorly fitted cast bullets and the gas actually goes around the bullet and between the bullet and the barrel (gas cutting).  That is one of the main purposes for lubing cast bullets.  The lube helps to form a seal to prevent some of the gas cutting - While it does lubercate the barrel as the bullet travels down it leading is prevented by eliminating gas cutting.  Every wonder why the lube rings on a cast bullet are at the rear .....  Cast bullets sized too small allows for more gas cutting to occur.

.... at least this has been my experience.

PS: Gas Checks perform the same function -- helps to prevent gas leaks ...

Last edited by captain-03 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Here is a couple good articles on the subject:

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLubeCastBullets.htm

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_7_Leading.htm

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_10_GCkorPB.htm

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:33 am

I powdercoated a few just to try it. It was neat to have colored boolits, but wasn't worth the extra time for me.

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rigrat on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:39 am

Miked did you think it helped with leading? They also talk like your firearm doesn't get as dirty if that is possible.

rigrat
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by miker84 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:49 am

I haven't really noticed a leading problem (without powder coat) in my pistols. but I don't shoot thousands of rounds of lead either. My pistol lead boolit loads aren't really hot though so that might not be a fair comparison.

miker84
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cottondoctor on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:19 am

I am not an expert on casting pistol bullets but to some extent, I have cast and shot them since the late 1970s. I have cast many more bullets for Black Powder Cartridge Rifles than for hand guns.
Some factors that can lead to and add to leading occurrences in hand guns have been mentioned above in this thread....another couple are bullet alloy and speed. Bullet alloy-the harder the bullet the faster it must be driven (higher pressure) to make it bump-up and seal the groves. Soft alloys driven too fast can also lead and is maybe the one of the more common causes. So: size (undersized can be more of problem that slightly over sized), lubrication, alloy an speed are generally the variables involved.
I know nothing about powder coating.
As for lubes, I am sure lube composition is a factor as well but I cant answer questions there for hand guns, I do know something about lubes for the BPCRs. What I do know about lubrication is that the reason bullets designed for black powder cartridge rifles have big deep grease groves is that a primary function of the lube in that instance is to soften the fouling from the propellant. Sometimes a greased bullet may be sat over a grease cookie to help out too. And lubes for BPCRs are softer than lubes for handguns et cetera.
Again, I know nothing about powder coating or it's effects on leading and cast bullet performance. It may be like the bullet lubes with Moly added (tried that and quit) -- may help but when you add the advantages and subtract the addition steps....maybe not worth it. It will most likely be an individual call......

cottondoctor
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by canebreaker on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm going to get a bottle of this to try. Unless someone else has tried it, Like it or not?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221282617510?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

I'm not loading hand burners, more like as cheap as I can.

canebreaker
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top