MURDER AT WENDY'S IN MAGEE HAD "NO GUNS" SIGN POSTED

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MURDER AT WENDY'S IN MAGEE HAD "NO GUNS" SIGN POSTED

Post by rickward on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:33 pm

One of our members (CinBrandon) identified the owner of the Magee Wendy's a couple of months ago and tried to get the No Guns sign removed. He never got a response from their website. But he knew a member of the owner's church and asked him to sway the owner (who owns 15 more Wendy's in the state). He had no luck with that attempt either.

Last week a young lady was violently murdered with little time to scream for help as she was stabbed repeatedly in the chest area and had her throat cut. This was a domestic dispute rather than a robbery. Some say she could have been helped, others said it happened too quickly. Who knows, but there was always a chance.

We need to let the business owners know about these stupid signs caused by some of our dumbest police chiefs do not work. These police officers sworn to uphold the load, defend and enforce the law all ought to be fired for trying to circumvent the law for their own agenda that they lied about, claiming their concern was the shopping public. B.S.

Our friends and families need to know also. They need to know that if you, the breadwinner walk into a place like Wendy's or any other business and get killed by a robber or murder, you most likely will have no recourse against them. They will prove that they could not have predicted the shooting and shared no responsibility. Unless they are in a high crime area where robberies and murders are rampant and knew that they should have taken some action to protect the public, they will probably get away with no liability. You the breadwinner will be gone and Wendy's wont pay a dime. They might give you a free burger.

I sent a Letter to the editor of the Magee Courier today. He called me back and told me he will run it next week. I have copied the text below for you to read:

October 8, 2013

Editor:

Everyone including myself is grief-stricken over the recent senseless, violent murder that took place in Magee. I have always thought of Magee as a quaint little peaceful town where my father-in-law served as an alderman for over 20 years. I married my wife of over 35 years in the Magee home where her 90 year old father was born.

The problem is we are no longer safe anywhere, in our homes, businesses or churches. We can now by law carry a gun to protect ourselves in all 3 places but the businesses are prohibiting it by signage. A few weeks ago, a pastor was killed at the pulpit of his church while preaching God’s word in nearby Lake Charles, LA.

We have to be able to defend ourselves and others vulnerable to attack. According to one of our MSGunOwners.com members, he had identified the owner of the Magee Wendy’s a couple of months ago and both through their website and a member of the owner’s church made an attempt to ask him to remove their “no gun” signs to no avail. There is no guarantee that this young lady’s life could have been saved anyway, but no guarantee that it could not have been either. What about the next time? What about the next business?

As a 60 year old retired police officer, I have spent all my adult life watching tragedies like these unfold. I decided a year and a half ago to start teaching people how to use a gun to defend their lives. I have taught almost 130 classes with almost 1,500 students in attendance all around the State of Mississippi, including the Magee and Simpson County area since I started.

A few months ago, a bill was passed by our legislature that was erroneously referred to as the “open carry” law. Many police chiefs and sheriffs around the
state panicked and caused terror among the business community. The police, not in agreement with the new law sought a way to make it difficult in my opinion for people to carry. In the late June Police Chief’s Association meeting on the coast, they discussed and later circulated signs for all businesses to put up outlawing guns on premises in the name of protecting customers. Many felt compelled to put up the signs because the police are a figure of authority and some may have felt pressured by them

Making gun free zones anywhere, does not save lives. It invites criminals to come into a place that has been made an easy target. We have scores of documented places where it has happened. I love my law enforcement brethren, but they are dead wrong on this subject.

I provide a brief to civic organizations with videos of robberies and murders foiled by concealed weapon permit holders in stores like Dollar General, Waffle House, Auto Zone, home owned beauty shops and local banks. I would be glad to travel anywhere in the state to provide this brief without cost to any recipient.

Rick Ward (601) 665-6088

Last edited by rickward on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

rickward
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

http://www.concealedweaponcarry.com

Back to top Go down

Re: MURDER AT WENDY'S IN MAGEE HAD "NO GUNS" SIGN POSTED

Post by coolpapaj on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Great letter. Thanks!!

coolpapaj
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scharfschütze on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Rick, I wish you would send that (with modification to make it universal to the State of Mississippi) to all newspapers in the state.

Scharfschütze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Location: In the SW part of the "Land Mass" between Louisiana and Alabama

Back to top Go down

Post by sand_man on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Rick, if I get you the information, would you send that letter to our local paper?

sand_man
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rickward on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:58 pm

I am working on a few minor changes right now that might make it more appealing to papers around the state, but yes, I will be glad to send it to yours if you send me the info.

Thanks,
Rick

rickward
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by senilking on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:25 pm

I actually heard that he was yelling at her through the drive through, and then came in. She was telling everyone to get out. Granted, that's from someone that knew them, so it's third hand news by the time it made it to me, but it really shakes it up since it would have meant someone would have had plenty of time to meet him at the door with a deterrent.

Thanks Rick, fighting a good fight for us all.

senilking
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rickward on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 pm

I have now prepared this letter primarily changing the first paragraph to make it more generic for other papers across the state because I am getting requests for it. I have it if you want it and have no problem with you submitting it to your own.

rickward
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by stewbaby on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Great letter. Thanks.

Senilking, good point you raise.

stewbaby
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 1985 4runner on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Thank you for all your efforts.

1985 4runner
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rickward on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:21 pm

1985 4 runner:

You're welcome, glad to help. I have seen the signage problem to be worse in Biloxi. You have you work cut out for you if that's where you live. I tried to submit my letter to the editor online to the Sun Herald but they had a maximum words of 250 and mine is 500.

Rick

rickward
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:50 pm

Rick -- as usual, good job and thanks!!

"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

"Then, Sir, we shall give them the bayonet" Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by 1010 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Can I use (copy & paste) this on other forums?

Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rickward on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Use this version please. It is almost the same but more generic for other locations.

As “No Gun” signs litter the windows of our small town businesses across the state, one is no longer visible, not now anyway. Everyone with knowledge of it is grief-stricken over the recent senseless, violent murder that took place in small town Magee. I have always thought of Magee as a quaint little peaceful town, a nice stopping point on highway 49, whether you are traveling from the coast to Jackson or headed south.

We are no longer safe anywhere, in our homes, businesses or churches. We can carry a gun by law to protect ourselves in all 3 places but the businesses are prohibiting it by signage. A few weeks ago, a pastor was killed at the pulpit of his church while preaching God’s word in nearby Lake Charles, LA.

We have to be able to defend ourselves and others vulnerable to attack. A few months ago, an acquaintance of mine identified the owner of the Magee Wendy’s, who is believed to own about 15 more statewide. Through their website and acquaintances of the owner, attempts were made to get the owner to remove the “no gun” signs to no avail.

As a 60 year old retired police officer, I have spent all my adult life watching tragedies like these unfold. I decided a year and a half ago to start teaching people how to use a gun to defend their lives. I have taught over 130 classes with almost 1,500 students all around the State of Mississippi, including Magee since I started.

A few months ago, a bill was passed by our legislature that was erroneously referred to as the “open carry” law. Many police chiefs and sheriffs around the state panicked and caused terror among the business community. The police, not in agreement with the new law or Attorney General opinions sought a way to make it difficult in my opinion for people to carry. In the late June Police Chief’s Association meeting on the coast, they discussed and later circulated signs for all businesses to put up outlawing guns on premises as their own agenda, but in the name of protecting customers. Many felt compelled to put up the signs because the police are a figure of authority. Some may have felt pressured by them.

Making gun-free zones anywhere, does not save lives. It invites criminals to come into a place that has been made an easy target. We have scores of documented places where it has happened. I love my law enforcement brethren, but they are dead wrong on this subject.

I provide a brief to civic organizations with videos of robberies and murders foiled by concealed weapon permit holders in stores like Dollar General, Waffle House, Auto Zone, home owned beauty shops and local banks. I would be glad to travel anywhere in the state to provide this brief without cost to any recipient. The police are not always right. You need to hear the other side.

Rick Ward (601) 665-6088

rickward
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by sand_man on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:39 am

Sent to our local paper. Thanks again Rick!

sand_man
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bbenea on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:17 am

Great work, thanks Rick!

bbenea
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by patstar556 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks, Rick. I'm very sad to hear news of this tragedy. My prayers are with the victims family.

It is unfortunate that business leaders choose to believe "gun free zones" make their invitees safer.

patstar556
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

http://mississippicarry.org

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottW on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:05 am

Rick, I've seen the video, and there was ample time for someone to respond and deter the murder. The physical assault began at least 90 seconds perhaps even longer before he started stabbing her. The employees all ran out of the building and left her there to fend for herself. No customers were seen on the video, but may have been out of the main frame I witnessed. The perpetrator was captured on our property next door, which is behind the property we lease to Walgreens and Berry's, near what was the old body shop of Womack Ford back in the early 1970's.

The responding Wendy's representative who played the video back asked what law enforcement thought about the No Firearms sign. The response was that only law abiding people go back and put their firearm in the vehicle, thugs will continue to conceal and bring in their firearms. The representative was asked by law enforcement what if the sign had said No Knives, did he think it would have stopped the assault and murder. The representative agreed it wouldn't have stopped the assault and murder.

At least they now have the knowledge that an incident did happen, and that loyal customer with a concealed or open carried firearm, who could have been there, may have just chosen to stop somewhere else that day because of the No Firearms sign. A life that may have been saved, wasn't and the sign is there to prove that the owner would rather endanger his customers and employees in an effort to improve the profit margin and deny citizens their rights, than protect the lives of his employees and customers.

How much did this cost the owner in lost earnings for being shut down and litigation that may have simply been prevented by someone stepping up and intervening. Most likely, deadly force would have never been used, the incident could have been deescalated before it reached the point when he began stabbing her.

ScottW
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rickward on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 am

Scott,

As usual, you have made an awesome response. You being privy to and sharing this information with us is invaluable. How much of it can be used in future pleas to people to take down those damn signs?

We really appreciate your response. You are my hero!

Rick

rickward
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottW on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:35 am

I've was told there is already an attorney who is wanting to use this case as one to start litigation to hopefully take down some of the signs. I'll pm you my number so we can talk about it.

ScottW
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by sand_man on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:42 am

clap clap 

sand_man
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next