Wolves in Mississippi?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wolves in Mississippi?

Post by Myers on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:43 am

I ran across this image on my trail camera today. Hopefully it shows up ok. When I saw it on my computer screen I was absolutely sure it was a wolf. Although I guess it could be a coyote, it just didn't look like one to me. I have read reports of red wolves in Mississippi, but that's it. Anybody have any thoughts?

Myers
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: Wolves in Mississippi?

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:59 am

Red wolves are sanctuaried on the barrier islands and closely monitored. I've never heard of them anywhere else in the state.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:06 am

I saw something one night near the house, it walked out in front of my car in a 40mph zone. Closest picture I could find online was an Adriatic wolf, it was huge. Largest canine I have ever seen.at least 3 feet long, not counting its tail. It wasn't very tall at the shoulders though. It was black and grey with a long tail
I know of at least 10 people who saw this thing over a few weeks time. My stepdad saw it dragging a deer out of the road one night, effortlessly.
I do not know exactly wth it was, but I know it was a type of wolf. Nothing else makes sense.
I still do not go outside here at night without a gun... It's been 4 years since I saw it.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbat on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:00 am

They looks like a big coyote to me in the picture. I have read there's a hybrid red wolf/coyote that is an unintentional result of U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service program of releasing red wolf breeding pairs into the wild. Quite possible for those to be roaming around Mississippi. Coyotes are the ho's of the canine world they will breed with just about any canine around..lol 

Didn't they remove all the red wolves they released on Horn Island because of too much contact with humans?

I have reach the age where my brain went from "You probably shouldn't say that" to "What the hell, let's see what happens."
"Mamas don't let your babies grow up to ring cow bells"

bubbat

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:35 am

In 1989, a propagation project was initiated with release of a small population on Horn Island. They population was removed in 1998 because of a likelihood of encounters with humans.

"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

"Then, Sir, we shall give them the bayonet" Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Scharfschütze on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:56 am

Might be a large coyote with fur puffed up ... I've spotted what I at first thought were HUGE coyotes, shot them, and they kind of "deflated" to small dog size by the time I walked up to the carcass.

Scharfschütze
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Location: In the SW part of the "Land Mass" between Louisiana and Alabama

Back to top Go down

Post by Corey1480 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Def favors in facial features. There is really nothing to compare it to size wise in the pic. How tall is the stuff growing in the field. It's prob a ferrel dog or big coyote

Corey1480
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by gunaddict on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:10 pm

My money is on a yote.. Looks just like the ones I have been seeing..

gunaddict
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbat on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:13 pm

A coyote and red wolf look real similar to each other. The wolf is a little heftier in the body.

Coyote

Red Wolf

I have reach the age where my brain went from "You probably shouldn't say that" to "What the hell, let's see what happens."
"Mamas don't let your babies grow up to ring cow bells"

bubbat

Back to top Go down

Post by stidgun on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Poor lost dog.

stidgun
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottW on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Angola State Penitentiary in Louisiana is breeding and training wolves to use in handling disturbances within the prison system I learned this past week from one of the polygraph examiners near Lake Charles. I wonder if any of them may have ever escaped and started breeding. Certainly food for thought....

ScottW
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:53 pm

ScottW wrote:Angola State Penitentiary in Louisiana is breeding and training wolves to use in handling disturbances within the prison system I learned this past week from one of the polygraph examiners near Lake Charles.  I wonder if any of them may have ever escaped and started breeding.  Certainly food for thought....
We have a bunch of family land near Angola, wolves are about the only thing we have not seen out there. There is a ton of wildlife in that region..

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottW on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:57 pm

Rw wrote:
ScottW wrote:Angola State Penitentiary in Louisiana is breeding and training wolves to use in handling disturbances within the prison system I learned this past week from one of the polygraph examiners near Lake Charles.  I wonder if any of them may have ever escaped and started breeding.  Certainly food for thought....
We have a bunch of family land near Angola, wolves are about the only thing we have not seen out there. There is a ton of wildlife in that region..
Well they are definitely inside the prison grounds, and the prisoners do not mess around with them, even the trustees are very leery of them.

ScottW
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rw on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:59 pm

I meant to ad it would not surprise me at all that there are wolves out there.. I have seen some very large canine tracks near one of the ponds.

Rw
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by tecrench on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:08 pm

Over reading the Deer board, and thought of this post. In this pictures I can't tell the Wolf or Coyote either (Yankee models).
http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60502

tecrench
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Myers on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:35 pm

I wish my camera had picked up more of him. He literally appeared for one frame on the time lapse, and then was gone. Never got close enough to trip the camera normally.

Myers
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by emptydub on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:17 am

I adjusted the brightness and contrast on the photo to try and get a better look at the facial features. It does look like it has the wolf-like long snout, but more than likely it was just a coyote, or a very skinny dog.... however I did NOT sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Cool photo!

emptydub
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jwatts on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Most likely a coyote. However several years back there was a wolf killed around Lorman in the Red Lick community. I remember when it happened. The guy that killed it brought it to a taxidermist in Brookhaven. I don't know if it was determined to be a pet that got loose or what, but I remember when it was killed.

jwatts
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by frodo on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:20 pm

i saw a HUGE yote in meadville,,,looked like a big german shepard
he ran across the rd in front of me...biggest i ever saw
he was all bushy, tail was bushy/thick grey/black in color

frodo
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster