New gun laws in MS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New gun laws in MS

Post by Xd357 on Mon May 31, 2010 7:08 pm

Ok so I was told today that 50 cals were now illegal to shoot in MS. Legal to own but illegal to shoot.

Also that full auto is now illegal to shoot in MS. Legal to own with class III but illegal to shoot.

That tannerite is illegal to shoot in MS withen 1/4 mile of a house.

Tapeing sparklers together and lighting them is illegal.

All this came from an hinds so officer.

Y'all thoughts?

Xd357

Back to top Go down

Re: New gun laws in MS

Post by Hammer on Mon May 31, 2010 7:17 pm

My thought is show proof. Black and white law on paper. I don't take cops word for it when they start citing "gun laws" .

Hammer
Administrator/Founder
Administrator/Founder

http://www.msgunowners.com

Back to top Go down

Post by James D. on Mon May 31, 2010 7:17 pm

I doubt it, I will call an RPD officer I know about it to find out what I can.

James D.
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Xd357 on Mon May 31, 2010 7:54 pm

Hammer wrote:My thought is show proof. Black and white law on paper. I don't take cops word for it when they start citing "gun laws" .

His proof was to call the ATF and have them show up. I really didn't want that problem on my hands. I've nothing to hide but didn't want to invite them over either. The tannerite kinda scared him.

Xd357

Back to top Go down

Post by Dock Rocker on Mon May 31, 2010 9:00 pm

ATF does not get involved with state laws. ATF only deals with what is addressed in the NFA. If it is a state issue it would be in the state code. The sparklers may be a controlled item like a pipe bomb, but that is all I know of.

Dock Rocker
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Xd357 on Mon May 31, 2010 9:16 pm

Dock Rocker wrote:ATF does not get involved with state laws. ATF only deals with what is addressed in the NFA. If it is a state issue it would be in the state code. The sparklers may be a controlled item like a pipe bomb, but that is all I know of.

Huh? He actually called them and had them on the way but cancelled the call.

Xd357

Back to top Go down

Post by quigleysharps4570 on Mon May 31, 2010 9:24 pm

Hammer wrote:My thought is show proof. Black and white law on paper. I don't take cops word for it when they start citing "gun laws" .

Amen.

quigleysharps4570
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dock Rocker on Mon May 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Xd357 wrote:
Dock Rocker wrote:ATF does not get involved with state laws. ATF only deals with what is addressed in the NFA. If it is a state issue it would be in the state code. The sparklers may be a controlled item like a pipe bomb, but that is all I know of.

Huh? He actually called them and had them on the way but cancelled the call.

One of the only reason the BATF exist is to enforce the National Firearms act. In your OP you say that MG's and .50s are legal to own but not shoot in Mississippi. The NFA says that the ownership of pre 86 MG's is perfectly legal. The .50 is not a destructive device so as far is the BATF is concerned it is just another rifle. All of this is addressed in the NFA. If there is a local law against shooting a .50 or MG that is the local LEO's problem not the ATF's. If you are having problems with a local guy, I would call the local ATF office and ask the questions you posed here. You dont have to give your name. As a rule they are a pretty easy bunch to deal with. The local Jackson office number is (601) 292-4000. They will tell you all they know about MG's and BMG's and if you are able to shoot them. I would take that info to the officer in questions boss.

Dock Rocker
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by captain-03 on Mon May 31, 2010 10:17 pm

I call BS on this one .... bs flag

At least some of us would have been alerted as this bill went through the house and/or senate ... Additionally, I do not think the Gov would have signed it ....

"For crying out loud, the Garand ain't a piece of fine china .. SMACK IT !!! Get yourself a rubber, plastic, wooden or leather hammer and smack the hell out of it. THAT is how they were put together when they were made."

"Then, Sir, we shall give them the bayonet" Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson

captain-03

Back to top Go down

Post by NRA_guy on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:35 am

As others have said, there is no state law prohibiting that, but Federal law regulates fully auto stuff.

Sounds like you could be inside the city limits of Edwards (I think they just extended the city limits or will soon). You could be in trouble with a city ordnance. Lots of towns prohibit fire works and firing guns inside the city limits.

I do recall a new state law governing the hunting on land smaller than a certain acreage. Can't find it right now.

I did fond this:

ยง 97-37-23. Unlawful possession of explosives; duty of officers to make search and to seize explosives; exception to prohibition.

(1) Except for persons who are engaged in lawful business activities or persons who are engaged in educational activities conducted by educational institutions, it is unlawful for any person to have in his possession:

(a) Dynamite caps, nitroglycerine caps, fuses, detonators, dynamite, nitroglycerine, explosives, gas or stink bombs, or other similar explosives peculiarly possessed and adapted to aid in the commission of a crime; except such person or persons who are engaged in a lawful business which ordinarily requires the use thereof in the ordinary and usual conduct of such business, and who possess said articles for the purpose of use in said business;

(b) Any:

(i) Bomb;

(ii) Grenade;

(iii) Rocket having a propellant charge of more than four (4) ounces;

(iv) Missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter (1/4) ounce;

(v) Mine;

(vi) Any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into one or more of the destructive devices described in this paragraph (b); or

(vii) Any device which consists of or includes a breakable container including a flammable liquid or compound and a wick composed of any material which, when ignited, is capable of igniting such flammable liquid or compound and can be carried or thrown by one (1) individual acting alone; and

(viii) Or other similar explosives peculiarly possessed and adapted to aid in the commission of a crime; ...

Last edited by NRA_guy on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total

NRA_guy
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by msredneck on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:45 am

scratch

bull

Let it rip

show me proof other than "I heard"....."I was told"

I "heard" they were giving away Remington 700's yesteday at Van's in Honor of Memorial Day but when i got there they were all out

sparklers....WTF?

I can see some concern over shooting the 50 as it will travel 5 miles...but I'd think that be up to the sheriff where you stay there XD...

Maybe Mr. Clean could chime in....

The ATF is so swamped with folks buying full autos right now I doubt seriously sparklers and such even make the radar....

IMHO...if anything gun related gets "banned" in the future...they'll do it the sneaky way..."the tax system"...Uncle Sugar will be looking under every couch soon for every penny....an ammo tax is not out of the question with THE REGIME

Rip it!

msredneck
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Bowser on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:06 am

We have a preemption Law in Mississippi. No local government can make an ordinance or rule that is more restrictive than State Law. State Law has no restrictions.

Doug

Doug Bowser
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Free_Stater on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:56 pm

That Hinds SO officer sounds like one of those guys who's afflicted with a bad case of liberalitis, powertrippus, and wishful thinking. I wouldn't pay attention to anyone who was doing his best to make me reach for my hip waders.

Free_Stater
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MrClean on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 pm

Yea, BS I call as well. The most surprising thing to ME about the whole thing was that HE got an ATF agent on the phone that quick! Great guys, so far all I have met. BUT.... they are busy like everyone else.... and I have NEVER EVER gotten one on the phone that quick. Other than dialing the one personal cell phone number I do have for one agent. And come to think of it..... he has always had to call me back. LOL

We are no different than any other group of people. There are some that if they don't know.... they will BS. I am too old and got rid of my ego a long time ago. I will simply tell you I have no clue, but will find out. ha

MrClean
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

http://www.doubletapxx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippian on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:53 pm

http://www.mscode.com/free/statutes/97/037/index.htm

Or start here:
http://www.mscode.com/free/statutes/toc.htm

Some good reading.

Mississippian
Established Poster
Established Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Free_Stater on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:03 pm

First off, ATF doesn't enforce state law. Second, why would a local SO deputy have an ATF agent's phone number in the first place? I'll call a spade a spade and say at the very least that he was slinging crap to make himself look good or to make himself look knowledgeable. At worst, I'll say he's just a damned liar.

Free_Stater
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SHANE704 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Wrapping sparklers with electrical tape is fun and I have always wondered the legality of it but i assume its like tannerite...dont make it and then transport it and ur fine.

SHANE704
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by MrClean on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:26 pm

Second, why would a local SO deputy have an ATF agent's phone number in the first place?

Maybe because some of us DO have agents' numbers? We have them because some of us work with ATF/FBI/MBN and other agents on various things here in Hinds County. These guys give us their numbers so that when we run into something in their absence that we may not deal with every day we can call them for expert advice or information. You'd be surprised how much goes on in this lil' county of ours.

Don't forget that the same "regular looking deputy" you see in Class A's, writing citations, can be the same one dressed in full tac gear later on details that are a little more "fun" as I call it.

With that being said.... I agree with the consensus and believe this to be a snowjob. You have bad apples in every group/field. Unfortunately, this appears to be one.

MrClean
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

http://www.doubletapxx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreatGonzo on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Xd357 wrote:Ok so I was told today that 50 cals were now illegal to shoot in MS. Legal to own but illegal to shoot. ....SNIP....Y'all thoughts?

My thought is that some HCSO Deputy decided to make up some new laws on the spot. Don't believe everything you hear.... Razz

TheGreatGonzo
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top